PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Replaced the clutch plates, broken center clutch plate gear, and oil pump. Still having the same lock up issue unfortunately. Rides great for about 5min then locks up for 20 secs (kick starter frozen) then it fires up and does the exact same thing 5min later. Did notice some sludge here. Guessing it’s the clutch plate fibers. Noticed the cylinder seems to get pretty hot when this happens

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Did you check for oil coming out of the exhaust valve adjustment hole while the engine is running as Neilspbr mentioned a while back? If the top end is overly hot, you may be without oil on that end of the circuit. There are a few places oil to the head can be lost that I have experienced. 1. Wrong oil pump. Make sure the holes on the back of the pump line up with the engine holes, and that you have the correct gasket as well. 2. Dirty or blocked screen on the oil intake. 3. Incorrect or missing spring assembly that fits into the clutch pilot bearing. 4. The worn oil drive sprocket or broken drive shaft splines I mentioned earlier. It is amazing how well one of these engines can run without good oil flow, good luck figuring it out.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
You are describing soft seizing, especially after the things you've corrected. That's usually one of two things. Either you are being starved for oil somewhere, or someone did a bore job on the engine and incorrectly sized the piston to cylinder clearance. That's the only way you'd get symptoms of a locked motor that corrects itself after it cools off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No, I’m not running the bike with the choke in the full up position. Here’s how I checked for oil on the top end. That doesn’t seem to be a issue either.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts