PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50A, 1976 Honda 90, 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2012 Triumph Bonneville
14 Posts
I made a soda blaster using 3/8” ID tubing, a plastic cup and lid from a convenience store, and a air blow gun. It worked pretty well and it cleaned the head in about 5 minutes using 3LB of baking soda for a total of $2.40.

I rinsed the head in hot water after, then heated it with a heat gun to dry it, and lastly put oil on the valve guides and combustion chamber. Looking back I’d skip the wheel cleaner next time and go straight to the baking soda.
View attachment 274784
That looks great. Can you post a more detailed pic of the air gun set up? I would love to try that method!
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That looks great. Can you post a more detailed pic of the air gun set up? I would love to try that method!
Thanks
The idea was something I saw online and I just used what I had to put it together.

The tubing is about 3ft of 3/8” ID. About 2” from the end I put a small slit in lengthwise to slide the blow gun into and then just used tape to hold it there. I used a cheap disposable drink cup to hold the baking soda and fed the tube in the lid wherethe straw goes. I used a rubber band to help hold the hose in the cup. I did the blasting outside in a cardboard box and was able to capture half the baking soda to reuse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got the cases split and for the most part everything looks ok. The screw securing the shift star was pretty loose. The crankshaft had a little bit of surface rust in spots, I’ll clean it up prior to reassembly.

The pins for the shift forks had a groove worn in each of them. I already had new ones and I swapped them out. The left shift fork had some wear but the fingers measured 4.94mm and 5.11mm. The right shift fork fingers measured 5.79mm and 5.88mm. My Clymer manual says that the wear limit is 4.6mm and does not differentiate between the right and left wear specs. I’m wondering if the wear in the center of the left shift fork is from the worn pin?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had some time and rebuilt the stator. Does the seal on the stator plate go in with the spring side facing toward the inside of the engine ?

I spent what felt like forever cleaning the gasket material off the inner case mating surfaces. One of the transmission bearings was notchy, I have two on the way.

I opened up the clutch to clean it and put in new discs. I found the inner splined hub broken, Honda part number 22120-040-030. I’m glad that I opened it up and found it now. Anyone have an extra one they would like to sell?

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50A, 1976 Honda 90, 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2012 Triumph Bonneville
14 Posts
I had some time and rebuilt the stator. Does the seal on the stator plate go in with the spring side facing toward the inside of the engine ?

I spent what felt like forever cleaning the gasket material off the inner case mating surfaces. One of the transmission bearings was notchy, I have two on the way.

I opened up the clutch to clean it and put in new discs. I found the inner splined hub broken, Honda part number 22120-040-030. I’m glad that I opened it up and found it now. Anyone have an extra one they would like to sell? View attachment 274818 View attachment 274819
Wow, that clutch has taken a bit of a shock somewhere along the line. I just took mine apart today. Needs new friction discs, but that's all. Did you use the Honda flywheel puller to get the other side apart? I tried with a homemade puller, but no luck. I'm going to have to find the correct one, I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow, that clutch has taken a bit of a shock somewhere along the line. I just took mine apart today. Needs new friction discs, but that's all. Did you use the Honda flywheel puller to get the other side apart? I tried with a homemade puller, but no luck. I'm going to have to find the correct one, I guess.
I do have one of the flywheel pullers, worth the few bucks. I ordered a used clutch from eBay to get the replacement splined hub and other parts I may need in the future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m debating on rims. I cleaned up and painted one rim half. It has some pitting where you can see it if you put you look hard enough.

Has anyone tried the Tbparts aftermarket rims? They have an aluminum and chrome sets. I’m tempted but wanted to hear from someone who bought them. Also, I saw NEVC has a set of aluminum ones as well. If I went with a silver version they wouldn’t match the hubs and that would bother me, stripping and painting new rims isn’t appealing. Any recommendation as which version to go with?

AFT Aluminum Rim Set - All Models (8x2.75") - TBparts.com

TB Rim Set, Chrome - Z50 K0-79 Models - TBparts.com

Wheel Rim Set Aluminum Honda Z50 Minitrail K0 K1 K2-79 - Northeast Vintage Cycle

21 - 30 of 30 Posts