PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
I have no white wire on my stator. I have green, black w/ red stripe, blue white stripe, yellow, pink, green w/red stripe.

Not using the pink not sure what's it's for or the green with red. Believe that's a neutral indicator. I do not have the green from the rectifier hooked to the stator. I was told be sell tape it off along with the red one from the rectifier.
Now we are getting somewhere. Because your first picture showed a white and yellow wire, it was assumed (at least by me,) that it was from your stator. When there is a pink and yellow from the stator, it has been my experience that this is a floating stator set-up for a full-wave rectifier system. Some other guys may chime in, but if that is the case, grounding the pink to the frame will power the yellow wire. If you want to test it, there should be continuity between the yellow and pink, and no continuity between either of them and ground. If they test out, I would ground the pink and see what voltage you get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so I have some things to try. I did try hooking the yellow wire from the stator directly to the headlight with no success. Will try ground out the pink wire tonight and see what happens

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well victory was short lived. Had lights until the bulbs blew. 19 bolts at idle 24 when you rev it. Need to swap rectifier from one of the other bikes. Maybe I burnt mine up trying different things

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
Since we spent a while trying to figure things out before, a picture of the wiring might make it easier to diagnose. If you have had two voltage regulators with that kind of result, it sounds like there might something wrong with how it’s wired.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Couple thoughts...
You ONLY need a REGULATOR for your setup. I think what you have is a reg/rec... regulator AND rectifier combination unit. So you should only be using the regulator part of your reg/rec.

The other thing I'm thinking...
Our bikes use 2 different types of stators...half wave, OR full wave. Since your stator has the floating ground...I think you have the full wave. The reg/rec units ALSO come in half or full wave varieties...one or the other, and they don't interchange.

What I don't know, is if, when you grounded the pink wire, if you changed your FULL wave stator...or, "set it up", as a HALF wave..?
But I think it matters...half wave or full wave...both with, which reg/rec you have...and with how you have your bike wired.

So...the questions are...
Do you have a full wave system on your bike??
Do you have the correct reg/rec unit??
And, are you using the regulator side of your reg/rec??

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I'm not sure how to tell what wave system I have on my bike. Attached is pics of stock wiring diagram and pics of what i have. The yellow wire from the stator I have running to the red wire on my bikes. I have the yellow wire from the rectifier tied into the red wire at the headlight switch connection. I am getting 19v ac at idle at the yellow wire and the lights. 30v ac when revved up. The green and red wire from the rectifier I get around 12v at idle and 30 revved up. But on those wires I get readings on both ac and DC settings on my meter. The yellow I only get the reading in ac

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
OK. It sounds like maybe you did not understand the instructions to "T" the yellow wire in the previous posts. Here is what you need to do: the yellow wire that comes from your engine, the yellow wire from the regulator/rectifier, and the red wire that comes from your headlight switch need to all be joined together. Get rid of the red wire coming out of the rectifier, since you are not running a battery. If you have already done that (can't tell by the pics,) sorry for bringing it up.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
One other thing to check...the green wire, from the reg/rec, that you grounded...
Is it the one that is right below the yellow?? Or the one that is diagonal from the yellow?
It makes a difference which green you ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So the green wire below the yellow wire is the one I have grounded. The yellow wire from the stator goes to the red wire on the bike. I made up a connector to take the yellow wire from the rectifier (that I extended with a piece of red wire) and tie it into the red wire 9b the factory harness right were that hooked to the headlight switch. See pic

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,396 Posts
How do I tell if i have a half or full wave motor and if i have the correct rectifier?
The rectifiers are similar, with differences that make it where you can usually tell them apart, but you have to buy one that is specified as full wave to be sure. The half-wave rectifiers are the most common, and what you appear to have. The full wave rectifier boxes have cooling fins on the sides of the box, usually. Other than that, there are generic rectifiers that have the same wiring colors (pink and yellow power) as your set-up, and will work. They are usually bigger, and may be a little tricky to mount on these small bikes. Your power would be DC, and I have no idea if this would work well enough to run everything without a battery. I would encourage you to check all your connectors carefully. I have had great frustration trying to figure out a problem like this, only to find it was a connector I crimped too hard, that separated the wires inside the sheath. It all looked right, but there was no connection inside. It sounds like you have the regulator and stator yellow wire hooked up to the same red wire, which would be correct.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Your pictures keep us guessing. Every pic shows wires and connections, but I can't see where they come from or go to, etc...too close. We can zoom in to see detail, but we can't zoom out on a too close shot.

I'm 95% sure that your reg/rec is a half wave type. As Davmo said, if the one you have ain't workin, try the other type.
So you COULD buy a full wave type to try. I'm not convinced that is the problem...but it's a pretty good bet.
In your last pic, all I see is 3 red wires...or 2...spliced together...coming from and going to, somewhere..?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Your pictures keep us guessing. Every pic shows wires and connections, but I can't see where they come from or go to, etc...too close. We can zoom in to see detail, but we can't zoom out on a too close shot.

I'm 95% sure that your reg/rec is a half wave type. As Davmo said, if the one you have ain't workin, try the other type.
So you COULD buy a full wave type to try. I'm not convinced that is the problem...but it's a pretty good bet.
In your last pic, all I see is 3 red wires...or 2...spliced together...coming from and going to, somewhere..?
The last pic is the red from the factory harness tied in with the yellow from the rectifier and goes to the red on the headlight switch

21 - 40 of 42 Posts