PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 z50s in my garage right now. My 72 and s buddies 76 and 77. Put lifan 70cc motors on all three. Bought the motors with kits to wire them up but I can't get my headlights working.

At the stator I have it wired as shown. The yellow hooks to my red for my lighting circuit. Also it ties in with the yellow from the rectifier. But still no light.

I have tried all different combinations but no luck. I cannot get voltage to read on my meter. I do get a reading on my cordless test light off the yellow wire coming from the stator as long as it's not hooked into the circuit any help would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The red wire on my stock z50 harness just runs to the headlight switch I don't see how connecting it to the yellow wire would be an issue. How else would I switch my lights?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there is a miscommunication about which red wire. The red wire that is coming from your voltage regulator/rectifier box is a DC feed that will go to a battery and as WarnerSteel said, to your tail light and horn, signals, etc...The yellow wire from the engine harness connects to the voltage regulator yellow wire as you appear to have it, but you need to "T" the red wire from your stock wire harness into the yellow wire. If you want to test the voltage, with the engine running, there should be AC voltage with testing clips on the middle of the yellow wire and ground. It may be less than 12V at Idle, but should get there with a little rev.
I was told by the site I bought the set ups from that I need to ground the one green wire on the regulator. Dont use the other green one or the red one on the regulator since my machine does not have a battery. I get some voltage on a test light running but nothing that my meter will read. Nothing on the lights themselves. Not even a flicker

Thank you all for trying to help with this. I have been pulling out my thinning hair trying to get somewhere with these bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In your pics...we can't see what wires come from where. Your original wiring only had 2 wires from the engine plug. Black for ignition. And a red wire for lighting.

Your new engine would need 2 for the ignition.
One for lighting.

And maybe you would need to connect one to a frame ground...4 wires max.

I have no white wire on my stator. I have green, black w/ red stripe, blue white stripe, yellow, pink, green w/red stripe.

Not using the pink not sure what's it's for or the green with red. Believe that's a neutral indicator. I do not have the green from the rectifier hooked to the stator. I was told be sell tape it off along with the red one from the rectifier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so I have some things to try. I did try hooking the yellow wire from the stator directly to the headlight with no success. Will try ground out the pink wire tonight and see what happens

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well victory was short lived. Had lights until the bulbs blew. 19 bolts at idle 24 when you rev it. Need to swap rectifier from one of the other bikes. Maybe I burnt mine up trying different things

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I'm not sure how to tell what wave system I have on my bike. Attached is pics of stock wiring diagram and pics of what i have. The yellow wire from the stator I have running to the red wire on my bikes. I have the yellow wire from the rectifier tied into the red wire at the headlight switch connection. I am getting 19v ac at idle at the yellow wire and the lights. 30v ac when revved up. The green and red wire from the rectifier I get around 12v at idle and 30 revved up. But on those wires I get readings on both ac and DC settings on my meter. The yellow I only get the reading in ac

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So the green wire below the yellow wire is the one I have grounded. The yellow wire from the stator goes to the red wire on the bike. I made up a connector to take the yellow wire from the rectifier (that I extended with a piece of red wire) and tie it into the red wire 9b the factory harness right were that hooked to the headlight switch. See pic

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Your pictures keep us guessing. Every pic shows wires and connections, but I can't see where they come from or go to, etc...too close. We can zoom in to see detail, but we can't zoom out on a too close shot.

I'm 95% sure that your reg/rec is a half wave type. As Davmo said, if the one you have ain't workin, try the other type.
So you COULD buy a full wave type to try. I'm not convinced that is the problem...but it's a pretty good bet.
In your last pic, all I see is 3 red wires...or 2...spliced together...coming from and going to, somewhere..?
The last pic is the red from the factory harness tied in with the yellow from the rectifier and goes to the red on the headlight switch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts