PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 z50s in my garage right now. My 72 and s buddies 76 and 77. Put lifan 70cc motors on all three. Bought the motors with kits to wire them up but I can't get my headlights working.

At the stator I have it wired as shown. The yellow hooks to my red for my lighting circuit. Also it ties in with the yellow from the rectifier. But still no light.

I have tried all different combinations but no luck. I cannot get voltage to read on my meter. I do get a reading on my cordless test light off the yellow wire coming from the stator as long as it's not hooked into the circuit any help would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yellow doesn’t need to connect to red. Yellow should come out of the stator, then “T’s”, with one lead going to the headlight and the other lead going to the voltage regulator.

The red wire coming out of the regulator should be used to power the taillight, brake light, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The red wire on my stock z50 harness just runs to the headlight switch I don't see how connecting it to the yellow wire would be an issue. How else would I switch my lights?

·
Super Moderator
4,435 Posts
The red wire on my stock z50 harness just runs to the headlight switch I don't see how connecting it to the yellow wire would be an issue. How else would I switch my lights?
I think there is a miscommunication about which red wire. The red wire that is coming from your voltage regulator/rectifier box is a DC feed that will go to a battery and as WarnerSteel said, to your tail light and horn, signals, etc...The yellow wire from the engine harness connects to the voltage regulator yellow wire as you appear to have it, but you need to "T" the red wire from your stock wire harness into the yellow wire. If you want to test the voltage, with the engine running, there should be AC voltage with testing clips on the middle of the yellow wire and ground. It may be less than 12V at Idle, but should get there with a little rev.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there is a miscommunication about which red wire. The red wire that is coming from your voltage regulator/rectifier box is a DC feed that will go to a battery and as WarnerSteel said, to your tail light and horn, signals, etc...The yellow wire from the engine harness connects to the voltage regulator yellow wire as you appear to have it, but you need to "T" the red wire from your stock wire harness into the yellow wire. If you want to test the voltage, with the engine running, there should be AC voltage with testing clips on the middle of the yellow wire and ground. It may be less than 12V at Idle, but should get there with a little rev.
I was told by the site I bought the set ups from that I need to ground the one green wire on the regulator. Dont use the other green one or the red one on the regulator since my machine does not have a battery. I get some voltage on a test light running but nothing that my meter will read. Nothing on the lights themselves. Not even a flicker

Thank you all for trying to help with this. I have been pulling out my thinning hair trying to get somewhere with these bikes.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It seems like that's how you had it wired initially tho.

On some of the lifans...the stator is grounded. On others, it's not grounded. When it's not, I think there is a green wire that can be used as a frame ground...attached to the frame OR the engine, on your bike.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
In your pics...we can't see what wires come from where. Your original wiring only had 2 wires from the engine plug. Black for ignition. And a red wire for lighting.

Your new engine would need 2 for the ignition.
One for lighting.

And maybe you would need to connect one to a frame ground...4 wires max.

·
Super Moderator
4,435 Posts
It seems like that's how you had it wired initially tho.

On some of the lifans...the stator is grounded. On others, it's not grounded. When it's not, I think there is a green wire that can be used as a frame ground...attached to the frame OR the engine, on your bike.
This is a good thing too know. If you have an ungrounded stator, it should be easy enough to check with a continuity light or multi tester. Connecting one lead to the yellow wire from the engine, and the other to the engine block. There should be continuity, or little resistance. If there is not, check between the yellow and green wires coming off the engine. If that one shows continuity, the green needs grounded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In your pics...we can't see what wires come from where. Your original wiring only had 2 wires from the engine plug. Black for ignition. And a red wire for lighting.

Your new engine would need 2 for the ignition.
One for lighting.

And maybe you would need to connect one to a frame ground...4 wires max.

I have no white wire on my stator. I have green, black w/ red stripe, blue white stripe, yellow, pink, green w/red stripe.

Not using the pink not sure what's it's for or the green with red. Believe that's a neutral indicator. I do not have the green from the rectifier hooked to the stator. I was told be sell tape it off along with the red one from the rectifier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are still haven't found a solution. Start from scratch, Isolate the issue. Don't use the bikes harness. Connect a direct wire from yellow only straight to the bulb, be sure you have a good ground also. Start like that to be sure you have power. If this works you have an issue in your harness.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts