PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50
40 Posts
thanks I am going to take a crack at it again tonight. Im not much with a ohm meter, guess I will need to learn that too LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I wouldn’t worry about the ohms meter. Just follow the shop manual process for setting the points with the feeler gauge.

I downloaded the shop manual and an owners manual and they have been a huge help. I knew nothing about these bikes 6 months ago and now I feel like I have everything I need to work on it.

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50
40 Posts
Well its running... I double checked the caps on the points, valves and all in spec now. So then I got digging in the carb. Its a new carb , but I took it apart and cleaned and put back together and deleted the fuel filter and boom! Fired right up. Needs some fine tuning and I need to get a new top for the carb with the 45 on it, the one on it its jerry rigged.

Now time to find parts and clean it up .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Awesome! Lots of great company’s out there for parts. Someone actually started a thread not to long ago with a good list.

CHP Motorsports
DRATV
Ebay

these have been the ones I have used the most but there are others.

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50
40 Posts
yes there are two in Ontario Canada where I am located so for me makes more sense to stay with in Canada to buy. Exchange kills us.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That makes sense several great Z50 supporters up there as well. Glad you got it running. So much more fun when you can ride it too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Had some parts arrive today from CHP. New handle bars, nuts and knobs. Mine like so many others are bent, rusted and stuck. removed the knobs and both snapped in half about half way. So much rust in there. Tomor row I will rebuild the headlight switch, polish up the bar mount and install everythin. These bars are so nice!

do you guys use grease or anything on the knobs?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Had some parts arrive today from CHP. New handle bars, nuts and knobs. Mine like so many others are bent, rusted and stuck. removed the knobs and both snapped in half about half way. So much rust in there. Tomor row I will rebuild the headlight switch, polish up the bar mount and install everythin. These bars are so nice!

do you guys use grease or anything on the knobs?
Sounds like a good idea to use the grease or anti-seize. They get rusty on the inside if you live somewhere humid or get them wet riding or washing. The old bars can sometimes be saved by pouring or spraying penetrating oil in the end of the handlebar, let them soak a few days, and heat them before trying to get the bolt out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I was able to get the old bars off. The knobs actually snapped right in the middle where the c clip goes on. just need to soak where it threads in, someone may want them.

polished up the mount with some Mothers aluminum polish and it looks really nice. Working on putting everything back together today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just as an FYI on the handlebar nuts. I know tools are sold on eBay that are $20. I picked up an adjustable spanner wrench from Harbor Freight for about $5 and it worked perfectly. The only thing I had to do was remove the large thumb adjuster nut, as it would not allow the wrench to get behind the knob. I used a short 5/6 by 18 thread bolt I had and it worked great.

just a tip for someone else taking this on. Seems like a lot to spend $20 on a tool you will probably only use once unless your building these bikes regularly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks still a lot to do but it’s coming along slowly. At least I can ride right now which I could not do at first. Makes it more fun.

·
Registered
1972 Honda Z50
40 Posts
Thanks still a lot to do but it’s coming along slowly. At least I can ride right now which I could not do at first. Makes it more fun.

I hope to be able to ride mine soon, I have some parts on order and I hope to get them tomorrow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Let there be light, at least a headlight. Picked up some headlight brackets from PHATMX since the ears were cut off of my forks by one of the prior owners. New bucket and headlight assembly bolted right up nicely. Headlight had three wires, I presume for the K0-K2, so I went with the color code that matched the wiring diagram for my bike. Green to green and Blue from headlight to brown. White wire off of the headlight not used. I am guessing this gives my the "high beam" as I was shocked at how much light it actually puts out with some RPMs.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks she is coming along. Hoping to get a new rear fender, taillight and bracket soon. Other than finding the correct chain guard in chrome I think I have all of the parts that should be on the bike.

next the motor and trans needs to be gone through. As the compression is still very low and she doesn’t down shift or go into neutral well.

I picked up a blemished front fork. At some point I will get the frame powder coated and have the forks, tank and side cover painted 1972 Candy Gold.

it’s coming along.

·
Super Moderator
10,715 Posts
Other than finding the correct chain guard in chrome
I like this one.THESE GUYS have them but they are not in stock at the moment. Maybe try emailing them and asking when they will have it.
tmas

This item is currently out of stock. Please contact us for more information

41 - 60 of 69 Posts