PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I know just about nothing regarding 6v points systems. I'm going to google, search the forums, youtube, all that but wanted to see if these are just too far gone to salvage? I cleaned up the fly wheel but it's pretty pitted on the outside (not sure if they need to be 100% evenly weighted) and it's still plenty magnetic inside. The coils on the points them selves don't look terrible. The screws and stuff don't look to good, I haven't tried to undo them.

Basically trying to figure out if this is salvageable or not. There is another motor up for auction tomorrow and if I can't save what I have, I'll buy it.

I have two motors, one has compression but no ignition system and the other is seized and has this rusted ignition system...go figure.

·
Super Moderator
9,863 Posts
I would try soaking the two 6x20 mounting bolts thoroughly with PB Blaster for a long period of time before trying to remove the stator assembly. It is no longer available from Honda, so it would need to be cleaned very carefully. A scotchbrite pad to the magnets and the coil ends should clean them down to bare metal again.

·
Super Moderator
9,863 Posts
The crankshaft diagram shows a keyway on both ends of the crank, you may have to soak the crank end with PB Blaster as well to remove the flywheel alignment plate with the 3 pins.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get the bolts off but I don't have a puller, I'm gonna have to borrow one to get the plate off. Am I wrong or does this thing not have points? It doesn't look like it in the diagram and it doesnt seem like it looking at it. I'm gonna pull my cover off my running one tomorrow and verify components. I hope I can get it going before I (hopefully) leave beginning of August.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Man, that takes me back to my Honda PA50 moped days!

So, the flywheel should be balanced. You can sometimes see them drilled or with weights added from the factory. If you could mount the flywheel to a drill, and then hold some sandpaper to it as it goes around, that would clean it up nicely. Then, if you want to perfect, bring to a machinist to balance it.

I’m a bit sensitive to this issue currently as I look at my Mini Cooper in pieces...all due to a unbalanced (thanks hack machinist!) flywheel. Obviously much more weigh and damage can happen on cars but still. Cracked motor mounts, ruined bearings, all sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dirtbkr188 - Yup, thats the setup! This is all still strange to me, as I'm used to seeing points if it's 6V.

Coop- It's basically the same motor as the PA50! I'll do my best to get the flywheel all cleaned up. It has some pitting but nothing major.

Oh and I took this for you yesterday - He must have had about a dozen to so.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Oh baby!! Mini city!

So, my local cycle repair shop’s son, back then, had a PA50 that would do close to 50mph...as the story goes. They pulled out all the tricks in the book. I’m sure it wasn’t great off the line but once “on pipe” it apparently hauled some serious ass.

Little tidbit, most of my custom wiring to convert my 84 into a street bike came from a PA50 that was down on its luck.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know jack about the scooter motors but I'm sure if I messed with the clutch, weights and whatever else makes them go, I might be able to get closer to that? I feel like you have to do some serious work to a stock PA50 motor (sans bore kit) to hit 50mph.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yep! Also remember that a moped as massively larger wheels which helps things. I remember him telling us the clutch was an important part of the transformation.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My old honda MB5(49cc 4-speed with jap spec carb/cylinder/exhaust) actually ran 52mph on a normal day. With some wind helping along 56 was no strange number either. With a following storm it would howl along at almost 60. Into the wind it was still milling along @50.

Official dutch spec was max speed @25mph. ;)

Some people even stuffed mb8(german spec) engines with 125cc into those poor mopeds.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like those larger 49cc motors are geared way better. The MC is a single speed automatic. My friend has a 49cc 2-stroke Suzuki Wolf and it does 60kmh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts