PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Z50R, 69 Z50A, 71 Z50A, 82 Z50R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple Z50A's at Barber this year and the 69 is in progress. It was running and riding but pretty rough. I've got the bike torn apart and I'm getting ready to put some paint on. I do resto's for a few clients but mostly bigger stuff- Ducati's, Bultacos, and my favorite bike- RZ350's. Feel free to chime in with tips and suggestions since this is the first Z50A I've done. Everything's been bead blasted and epoxy primer is on today...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Auto part Machine

Table Flooring Electrical wiring Gas Picture frame

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In one of your pics it looks like the left, rearmost, part of your frame might have been bent out of shape a bit. Then I couldn't see if you straightened it before primer..?

This is just a pic for reference.
Wood Yellow Door Fixture Wood stain

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In one of your pics it looks like the left, rearmost, part of your frame might have been bent out of shape a bit. Then I couldn't see if you straightened it before primer..?

This is just a pic for reference.
View attachment 277008
Someone had welded a rigged TL bracket on the back and done a really bad job. Probably broke the original off at some point. I had to cut it off and straighten it all out and re-weld a section that was cracked. I think it is pretty good now. The rest of the frame is nice and straight. Might just be a angle from the picture that made it look bent.
The footpeg bracket is slightly bent on both sides but they are available new still. One of the handlebars is tweaked as well. All typical problems for these bikes that got used hard...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like you got a really nice early edition bike to start off with. A lot of hard to find parts are there. What you've done so far looks great too.
I spy some RZ parts in the background. Got one myself. Fun scary bike.
Keep posting up what you are doing, I'm watching. Rick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you got a really nice early edition bike to start off with. A lot of hard to find parts are there. What you've done so far looks great too.
I spy some RZ parts in the background. Got one myself. Fun scary bike.
Keep posting up what you are doing, I'm watching. Rick
Yeah, I have 3 RZ's. Love them. My 84 KR is ported, milled head, 1mm over, 32mm Mikuni's. Pretty healthy and fun, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor is about ready to be reassembled. This was a really low time bike. Other than cosmetics, it really didn't need to be taken apart- it ran fine. Didn't even have all the black clutch goo in the cases. Everything looks like new inside. I soda blasted the cases and bead blasted/painted everything else.
Chair Wood Engineering Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Font Auto part Machine

Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive tire Tank Toy

Gear Bicycle part Crankset Rim Auto part

Table Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Musical instrument

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting ready to put the engine back together... Also, is this the correct petcock for a 69? I see other styles advertised as fitting the 69 but they look like the petcocks on my Z50R's.
White Eyewear Font Jewellery Auto part

Wood Grass Household hardware Circle Metal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Working on the carb- which is in great condition but I found a split in the top of the float. I may try to solder it but are they available from Honda or aftermarket? Correct float height for this bike?
Toy Revolver Grass Bullet Metal

·
Super Moderator
4,305 Posts
They are easy to solder with a soldering iron and rosin core electrical solder. If you have not done it before, there is a small dot of solder on one of the sides of the float, right in the center, that should be removed before repairing. It's a vent hole, and can be filled once the repair is done, and the metal has cooled off. If you don't remove the dot, it will pucker on cooling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are easy to solder with a soldering iron and rosin core electrical solder. If you have not done it before, there is a small dot of solder on one of the sides of the float, right in the center, that should be removed before repairing. It's a vent hole, and can be filled once the repair is done, and the metal has cooled off. If you don't remove the dot, it will pucker on cooling.
Yep, I was successful. Not pretty but it won't leak! Do you know the correct float height? measured from the gasket surface without the gasket?

Bag Gadget Electric blue Font Jewellery

·
Super Moderator
4,305 Posts
Yep, I was successful. Not pretty but it won't leak! Do you know the correct float height? measured from the gasket surface without the gasket?

View attachment 277105
18mm from the edge of the carb body to top of float. At that point the small tab should just be contacting the springy portion of the float valve if you were holding the carb upside down. Sometimes the hinge coming off the float gets bent in relationship to the float and has to be straightened out. If you have trouble getting the right height in relationship to that little tip correct, it may be because it’s bent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts