PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
HACKMUNCH said:
the nice head is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt

Is that a Nice head, or a massaged Jialing unit? They refer to everything as Honda Jialing... the size of the combustion chamber and valve centers sure make it look like it started off as a 23/20 setup.

That said, I like their preference for flat top pistons. : )

·
Registered
10 Posts
chrisc161076 said:
What does the ceramic achieve

I am answering because I am interested in the topic, not because I know anything particular about it. Yeas ago in my eng materials class we talked about it but never fooled with it. At that time it looked like it would be super cheap to manufacture, with heat, sintering techniques. It should be super durable, much harder than any metal we use. There should be no tendency for the cylinder and piston to 'bond' with each other. Folks say that out in space you could rub two pieces of metal together, then clamp them tight and they would weld together via metallic bonding. Metals like other metals, but are protected by a coating of oxide generally. Another huge benifit is that they can be super light. They totally laugh at heat, they will work just fine glowing bright red. This is potentially important for mpg cars cuz the hotter the block, the less energy you lose to the block and cooling system. IIRC one of the ones actually being used is in a MPG competition car. Be great for a diesel! This is out-dated info, dunno whut is going on now. I heard about them as both piston and cylinder, dunno how well a metal piston would work. The take compression forces very well, not sure about tension.

GeoB

·
Registered
436 Posts
I followed the development of the YZF MX engines and they stated that the YZF road engines (which they were based off ) run ceramic cylinders which is the absolute best for cutting friction and heat dissipation - BUT - ceramic doesn't like dirt - it gets damaged very quickly by it . That's why dirt bikes run Nikasil or hard chromium coated cylinders .

If you ran ceramic in a dirt bike - you'd have to be extremely meticulous in keeping your air filter clean !

You can most likely buy them cheaper from OZ !

eBay Australia: NEW 145CC CERAMIC CYLINDER, 57MM LIGHTWEIGHT PISTON KIT (item 230139286968, end time 12-Jun-07 20:15:00 AEST)

·
Registered
833 Posts
We've been testing this same kit since March. I do not recommend using this cylinder/piston with a stock jialing head, unless compression/detonation issues are addressed - ie:race gas, thicker than 1mm gaskets, etc...

We're expecting several more kits next week. We will continue to evaluate them in different configurations and then make a decision whether or not to sell this product based on reliabilty and performance.

I'll try to post up some pictures later if I get a chance and I'll post our findings once we have some more data.

BTW, these (ours) are from Tiawan.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.