PlanetMinis Forums banner

50cc bet...competition.

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  burch753 
#1 ·
My buddy and I have decided to tear into our stockers... I'll bring my scientific education to the table and him, his backyard mechaninc mentality... He is a certified technition. I want to stay on pump fuel. The only rules are:

Nothing over 50cc

------------------------------------

I'm interested in what head is a good choice while keeping stock bore x stroke?

I plan:

ceramic bearings internally, and in rear wheel with a billet rear wheel...1lbs lighter than stock for less rotational mass.

High comp. piston, cam, valves, headwork....

any other ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want a 50cc wringer, this is what you do:

Powroll Piston

Porkchop and thin the crankshaft ways

Run an xr70 head with a TB camshaft, springs, and clean the ports

VM20 carb

Ceramic bearings

Coat the tranny gears

Inner Rotor

Takegawa Special Clutch

Then you'll have a 5.5 hp wild ride for your $1500 investment

OR

Buy an 88 kit stamped 49cc and a cam and carb for about $200 and you'll make more power.

#3 ·
fatcaaat said:

Powroll Piston

VM20 carb

Ceramic bearings

Coat the tranny gears

Inner Rotor

Takegawa Special Clutch

OR

Buy an 88 kit stamped 49cc and a cam and carb for about $200 and you'll make more power.

lol... I know..

What do you mean coat the tranny gears? and is the Takagawa special clutch a manual clutch... I don't want a manual clutch... Could I just run a 70 bottom end to get fourth gear with the drum inserted?

#6 ·
fatcaaat said:

Powroll Piston

VM20 carb

Ceramic bearings

Coat the tranny gears

Inner Rotor

Takegawa Special Clutch

OR

As said above - plus:

Select correct piston to match head

Lighten balance and knife-edge the crank

Use titanium valve caps

Lighten the rockers

Lighten primary drive gear.

Machine down matching gear.

Drop in a 4 speed box and use the rovaza 4th gear

Use light-weight everything you can get your hands on..titanium bolts and fitments

Engine breather system - just vent to atmoshpere - from above crank and top rocker cover.

Carbon BMX bars

Plastic filler cap..billet looks "bling" but weighs more ;);)

Machine sparkplug spotface so spark is directed to centre of barrel

Set carb and ignition up properly and accurately

Machine sprockets so you can run a 415 chain/sprockets set up

There are probably more things - but they are straight of the top of my head. ;)

Personally I would use a Takegawa +R head and matching piston and reduce the stroke on the crank...so you get a high-reving 49cc motor ;);) - but hey what do I know about building engines!!

#8 ·
+R head would be a hugely wrong choice...

Fatz 70 head idea, or an e22, milled to get the chamber chamfer gone(about 1-1.5mm) 82-87 piston. Critical to get the squish tight. Light oil, and not too much of it. Remove any gear not used if it's a dyno shootout, or a close ratio trans if they're gonna be ridden. Coat the piston and crank too. Fancy fuel, or even alcohol if you can get the compression up enough. Lightest wheel/tire combo you can find. Maybe even 35 chain, can be done;)

#9 ·
What fatcaaat said:

fatcaaat said:
Buy an 88 kit stamped 49cc and a cam and carb for about $200 and you'll make more power...
What fatcaaat meant:

fatcaaat said:
...Buy an 85 kit stamped 49cc and a 51mm stroker crank and a cam and a carb for about $375 and you'll make a ton of power. Wait for your buddy at the finish line, and if he says one word to you, stomp the snot outta him...

#12 ·
yea it could be nothing that looks over 50cc haha. fatcaats setup sounds good tho.

you could get the powroll 15:1 piston, get the shiit ported out of the stock head, get a cam, get a big carb and a UNI filter. knife edge the crank and get it balanced. get a 4 speed tranny. get an HD auto clutch of some sort. get an IRK. some Ti clutch weights. the head breather kit. a choke plug for the carb. an exhaust (fast50s).

then get all the light parts you can and go for it. run that shiit with no plastics and helium in the tires lol

#16 ·
burch753 said:
My buddy and I have decided to tear into our stockers... I'll bring my scientific education to the table and him, his backyard mechaninc mentality... He is a certified technition. I want to stay on pump fuel. The only rules are:

Nothing over 50cc

------------------------------------

I'm interested in what head is a good choice while keeping stock bore x stroke?

I plan:

ceramic bearings internally, and in rear wheel with a billet rear wheel...1lbs lighter than stock for less rotational mass.

High comp. piston, cam, valves, headwork....

any other ideas?

head work and stuff would be great. put on a fmf 4.1 or pro circuit t-4. get bbr sp-5 forks and a rear shock

#21 ·
geof said:
as said above - plus:

Select correct piston to match head

lighten balance and knife-edge the crank

use titanium valve caps

lighten the rockers

lighten primary drive gear.

Machine down matching gear.

Drop in a 4 speed box and use the rovaza 4th gear

use light-weight everything you can get your hands on..titanium bolts and fitments

engine breather system - just vent to atmoshpere - from above crank and top rocker cover.

Carbon bmx bars

plastic filler cap..billet looks "bling" but weighs more ;);)

machine sparkplug spotface so spark is directed to centre of barrel

set carb and ignition up properly and accurately

machine sprockets so you can run a 415 chain/sprockets set up

there are probably more things - but they are straight of the top of my head. ;)

personally i would use a takegawa +r head and matching piston and reduce the stroke on the crank...so you get a high-reving 49cc motor ;);) - but hey what do i know about building engines!!

+1 what he said

#22 ·
69z72r said:
what kind of test are you guys doing to see whos is faster?

straight line?

track?

dyno?

we will be using the bikes for track riding... we race pro stock class now, in our area, so we need the bikes to be relatively durable...

and I have a bbr pipe... I plan on taking a crf70 head and matching the exhaust port to it... does anyone know if the boysen porcupine cylinder will work on a stock 50???

#25 ·
burch753 said:
I see.... I was also told that the 39mm bore fifties had a distant relative with a 40mm bore...
That's not entirely true, it was a 39.9mm bore, and the story goes back to 2001 when the WangChung engine plant in the Chinese province of DongHangLong employed a machinist by the name of WunHungLo. He used to spend his weekends looking for happy juice and happy endings, and used to come to work on Monday mornings with the shakes so bad his hand stuttered using the electronic digital micrometer to set the boring bar for the 39mm cylinders. By the time he could steady his hand, the boring bar was programmed to 39.999999999 instead of a common 39.00 setting.

Last I heard, he was making martinis and margaritas at Cap'n Jack's in Key West....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.