PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, it's probably been asked before but what the hell. I know that inorder to do a 70 upgrade you'd need at least the cylinder, head and piston w/ rings to upgrade the 50 motor to a 70, what other parts would I need, can I still use the same timing chain from the 50? will the stock 50 carb be good enough or will I need the 70 carb, if I need to use the 70 carb will the throttle cable from my BBR kit work on the 70? What is the drive/driven sprocket ratio i.e. 14/37 is stock on a 50. Would i need to use the ignition coild and rev box from a 70 or will the 50 coil and revbox be sufficient? will my BBR skidplate mount up properly after I do the swap?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
you can do this for Extremly cheap if you dont go oem parts, i have a 72cc cylender, ported e22 head, high lift cam, and 20mm carb. its very fast, but the competition has the 88 standard.

i dont give out ads nemore so u got a pm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THe only reason I was asking is if I found the necessary part from someone who has up graded their 70, I'm not looking to put much money into the 70 parts if I can help it, this is only a "for now" type of thing, eventually I'm going to go big and do a 117 or 124 with a five speed but until I can afford that I'm gonna try to find something cheap that maybe someone will want to give away.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
can I still use the same timing chain from the 50?

yes

will the stock 50 carb be good enough or will I need the 70 carb

no/yes(to get the best performance the 70's is a must, but if all you have is 50's a 62 main should keep up fine)

if I need to use the 70 carb will the throttle cable from my BBR kit work on the 70?

it should, but if not it will be long and putting some type of sheath spacer between the cap and the sheath will work(or just run a 70 cable if you goty it)

What is the drive/driven sprocket ratio i.e. 14/37 is stock on a 50.

thats stock, and should be fine with this upgrade.

Would i need to use the ignition coild and rev box from a 70 or will the 50 coil and revbox be sufficient?

50's is fine

will my BBR skidplate mount up properly after I do the swap?

yes

noone really answered em all 8)

later,

stanton

·
Registered
557 Posts
i got a used 70 cylinder and piston and rings id be willing to sell if you want it ive just been keeping it in storage if you wanna buy it ill sell it to ya!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Uh, that claim from Honda about the horsepower of your CT70 topend is probably a reading from the crank, which means you arnt getting but about 4 or so to the rear wheel. The TB 88 will put down that 6 at the rear wheel, which is alot more power.

And Binh, why should we stop recomending a great product that is at a great price. Would you prefer us to recomend a peice of shit to him or something like you just did with the Takegawa 81cc bore. Thats just a waste of money, the TB 88 will be faster and cost less.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ill probaly get the tb kit but it looks like a bunch of remanufactured oem parts from the 70s, as long as it works tho haha, the head actually looks like the same head i have, anyone notice if the valves are bigger on the tb head?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
LOl, its cool, and Bryce, yes I actually have ridden a Take 81cc kit and my TB88 was definetly much faster. Also Bryce, I never said that the Take was a peice of shit, they make some good products, just that the 81cc was over priced and actually underpowerd compared to what you can get form Trail Bikes, and not to mention that it is near impossible to upgrade it later down the road and I dont think it will work with a 70 head anyways. And yea the TrailBikes head does have bigger valves and ports over the stock 70 head. I have the Race head and my friend has a 70 with the TB 88 with cam and 20mm carb and mine will walk all over his on power. The race head makes a incredible difference. And no there not remanufactured parts from the 70's, they are all brand new parts designed and produced to Trail Bikes specifications.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Trail Bikes? Who sells those? I've never even heard of that. I thought that TB was for Two Bros. Just a simple question here, who sells these kits? Thanks, Rick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.