PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1042 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to switch from the fugly frame thread( http://planetminis.com/forums/roost-area/175035-fugly-moto-parts-i-have-known.html#post1778357 ) to this one (if you want to see the pile o' shite this thing came from, check this link.) Having survived the angle grinder, welder and such, it has emerged a bit larger. The main tube is not done, and there are some gussets I am still going to put on, but the pics show what it looks like next to a K2 frame. I just test fitted a 14" tire, and it went on easily. So I tried a 16", and it fits as well. Looks wicked with the 16". The frame tube is 4" longer, and the frame sits about 2" higher. Decided to call it the 50 Magnum.
Edit: Some before and after pics. Watch this pile of rust become a complete bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm anxious to see this finished. The idea of a bigger hardtail that was more adult-sized occurred to me once, but since I have absolutely no metal fabrication ability, I thought I'd never see such a thing.

I'm really curious what tank, seat, and handebars you're going with. Are you going for a full custom or a retro look?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ahh I thought you might have planned to do this when I saw the lines marked out on the frame before you went to work with it. Looking great Davmo. I am not so horrified by you butchering a K1 frame now that I have seen this.
What is the plan for the engine? You could call it a "Z .50"

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm anxious to see this finished. The idea of a bigger hardtail that was more adult-sized occurred to me once, but since I have absolutely no metal fabrication ability, I thought I'd never see such a thing.

I'm really curious what tank, seat, and handebars you're going with. Are you going for a full custom or a retro look?
Although I thought about going with the classic appearance for this bike, with everything just oversized, I really want to do a custom. Some of the issues I have run into riding and building these bikes made me do this frame. Extra height for the carb, bigger wheels, room so your engine doesn't hit your front fender, room for a bigger tank and seat, and best of all...real forks. I don't know if you saw my K2 with a Super 50 tank on it, but that bike continues to be my favorite rider other than it gets kinda cramped after an hour or more. I am thinking about another cafe style, perhaps clip-ons, custom tank, seat, and pipe, but hey you never know...

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh I thought you might have planned to do this when I saw the lines marked out on the frame before you went to work with it. Looking great Davmo. I am not so horrified by you butchering a K1 frame now that I have seen this.
What is the plan for the engine? You could call it a "Z .50"
Glad you approve. When this frame was all chopped up, I was feeling like a moto-Hannibal Lechter. I was sitting there with my fava beans and chianti, wondering if all this was going to work. I am as happy as anyone to see it almost back together. As far as engine, I am thinking about going as big as I can. With the longer wheel base and bigger tires, it might be possible to do the ton. (Was thinking a "do the 1/2 ton" bumper sticker would be fun.) There are some pretty large displacement engine out there (184cc) that are tempting, it is a little scary to hear how hard they can be to kick over, though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have seen a few decompression kits around. Just a note. I am having to modify my frame to get the z160HO in it. One of the bolts on the clutch basket cover hits the frame. If the engine mounts were out an extra 1/2" it would work. That is with the Daytona style basket with 6 plate clutch.
Maybe this would be the bike to stick one of the 200cc engines that SMR are making in it.....

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen a few decompression kits around. Just a note. I am having to modify my frame to get the z160HO in it. One of the bolts on the clutch basket cover hits the frame. If the engine mounts were out an extra 1/2" it would work. That is with the Daytona style basket with 6 plate clutch.
Maybe this would be the bike to stick one of the 200cc engines that SMR are making in it.....
The SMR would be badass, but It is gonna be costly, I'd bet. Whatever it is I will have to fit it in and go through a shake-down before paint. Right now I am cutting gusset plates for the joint between the upper and lower frame parts. I will post pics later...

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm so glad there are other people in this world that remember that line. Usually when I'm at the range or store and see a ridiculous gun I quote that line and nobody ever gets it.
Don't get 57hotrodVW started on "I'm gonna get you Sucka!"... his pimp-hand is stronger.

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anxiously waiting for more...

-HFM
Hey Matt, I feel the same way... the last few days saw the college graduation of my oldest daughter, my 28th wedding anniversary, and of course, Mother's day. The perfect storm of minibike robbing activities. Having said that, I did manage to get some stuff done. A lot of it was the finish welding, but there were all those holes I drilled. Most of the gusset plates are made. There is still some grinding I have to do before i join the top and bottom portions. Perhaps tomorrow I will get them welded. That is an SL70 tank in one of the pics...don't know if I will go that way or not. The stock front end is on to help get everything squared up before final welding.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ah yes, speed holes. Those are very important. You mention real forks, what are your plans? Can't wait to see more progress.
Right now, I have some xXR70/SL70 and some KLX110 forks I am playing with. There is a CT70 fork I did on the scorpion bike with MR50 tubes and springs, and cut-down outer springs like the CT70. Works pretty well for street, and not too heavy. I have the top tube on the frame tacked in place now, and am going to try some different fronts for stance and height.
Pics of the Scorpion front end, laser level and frame alignment. The mid line of the frame was found using the laser and a machinist square. The marks were made on the frame, and then aligned with the head and neck tubes. The rear gussets tacked in. More gussets tonight, pictures at Eleven.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Busy, busy, busy...Getting some gussets made and applied. I love the plasma cutter. Pile o' gussets on the floor. Some of the rear gussets are in place. There are some others where the top tube meets the front of the sub frame. The wing shaped ones on the bench will get drilled and put at the same joint. Why so much gussetry? The dozen or so frames I have restored all have cracks, and usually in the places where the gussets are being applied. This is going to be a large displacement ride, and I don't want any frame failure, if possible. The "speed holes" as they were referred to by BronchoBobby, are to keep things light as possible. All this welding is probably going to make heat treatment a good idea on this frame. Anyone familiar with a good place?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1042 Posts