PlanetMinis Forums banner

4th gear upgrade questions

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mr.skywalker 
#1 ·
so im going to put a 4th gear in my 110 and was wondering what size sprockets i should get. does anyone recommend a size?

#3 ·
After riding the newer 110s that come with the 4th gear already I really would gear it down alot as it really gives alot of added torque and acceleration. old 110 is 14/33 where the +10 is 13/38. Its a pretty massive difference but you can actually pull 4th gear and its not as gappy in the lower gears

#4 ·
I’m looking to install a 4spd kit as well! I have a 143 BB kit though and I’m also going to do the clutch kit and a V2 Race head. What sprocket sizes would anyone with experience or a similar setup recommend for my bike after the 4 speed kit and race head mods? Currently running a 14/40 and 1st/2nd gear is basically useless! Also - should I go with the Takegawa 1 down 3up shift drum kit or just the 4up?

#7 ·
I prefer the all up on these for several reasons. first is that(at least on the L's not sure about the takegawa) they tend to have false neutral issues on the 1D3U drums. second is that since these bikes are need to be started in neutral and no clutch disengagement, its easier to just jump down and kick vs having to go down then half click back up to find neutral.

#6 ·
Not as bad as you would think but 1st on the old 110s was pretty tall to begin with. The big benefit is that the wide gap between 3rd and 4th can actually be pulled with the stock motor. Its more about keeping the gears close enough to not bog down between shifts, similar to a close ratio vs wide. Now if you throw on a big bore I'd run 14/38 and with a race head w/ stroker 15/38 and that would make 1st a bit more useable and still pull the top gears. I really was suspicious of the new bikes gearing but I borrowed a stocker at summit a few years ago and it was WAY faster than my lightly modded older one with 14/37 gearing and manual clutch(stock bore with exhaust opened airbox and rejetted).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.