PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That
Hey Kirrby, there is a way to make any single filament tail light into a brake/running light. Two diodes and a 100 Ohm resistor and some soldering. Revival Cycles in Austin carries them for about 8 bucks, or if you want to roll your own, they are pretty cheap and easy to do (parts list is less than a buck.) Make a "Y" with two wires, with zener diodes on each side, and the resistor on one leg of the Y. The resistor leg goes to the running light wire from the harness, the other to brake light wire from the harness, and the single side of the y goes to the tail light power. I have done it numerous times and can say it works great (especially with LED's.)
That's good info. I"ll do a little research to try to understand it. Them I'll be back with good questions. I'm definitely interested.

I did get a start on my own, initial plan. I've made lights before for CT70 speedo lights...same bulb base I think.
I was going to do a spin off of that, using two LED's that could share the ground. But I think I'll need some sort of resistors for this setup to keep from burning out the LED's.

This is the speedo bulb. Just a piece of rubber hose with wires glued in.
IMG_20200130_210757282.jpg IMG_20200130_210824150.jpg

This is what I've started on for a TL/BL.

IMG_20200126_084548517.jpg IMG_20200126_090434145.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey Kirrby, there is a way to make any single filament tail light into a brake/running light. Two diodes and a 100 Ohm resistor and some soldering. Revival Cycles in Austin carries them for about 8 bucks, or if you want to roll your own, they are pretty cheap and easy to do (parts list is less than a buck.) Make a "Y" with two wires, with zener diodes on each side, and the resistor on one leg of the Y. The resistor leg goes to the running light wire from the harness, the other to brake light wire from the harness, and the single side of the y goes to the tail light power. I have done it numerous times and can say it works great (especially with LED's.)
I believe I've found the gadget...

Then I went to the led store and ordered up a new bulb socket...since I already drilled mine out. And a couple of 5-led bulbs to fit that socket. The little bulb that my TL uses is a BA9s size base. Pretty tiny little bulb. So I'm interested to see how well this setup will work...basically how bright it will be. The bulb I ordered says it's the equivalent of a 5-10 watt incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
When I found the gadget, it took care of my questions. You described how it was made...but I didn't understand. But I just bought the gadget :)
I bought a extra one that I can dissect a bit to see how it's made. I got the smallest one, made for a 5 to 10 led array bulb.

I bought a Xtra bulb too. This bulb is almost too tall to fit inside of the TL housing.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I believe I've found the gadget...

Then I went to the led store and ordered up a new bulb socket...since I already drilled mine out. And a couple of 5-led bulbs to fit that socket. The little bulb that my TL uses is a BA9s size base. Pretty tiny little bulb. So I'm interested to see how well this setup will work...basically how bright it will be. The bulb I ordered says it's the equivalent of a 5-10 watt incandescent bulb.
That's the one! The only thing you have to be careful of if you make your own is to turn the diodes the correct direction. Electricity will flow in only one direction through the diodes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I finally got my ignition and brake light switch tabs welded on.
Removed the motor and most of the electrics so I could roll the bike over, and stand it up. Welding went fine.
I tried to locate the BL switch tab...in a good spot. But I didn't install the exhaust for mock up. Well the exhaust comes pretty close. I think it will be ok tho. It might need a little heat shield, and/or a clip to hold the wires away.
Clutch cable too. I was expecting that tho.

The muffler is in the way of my bracket for the tail light too...back at the grab bar. Forgot to picture it. It'll be ok, but right now the outer bolt for the TL bracket clamp hits on the muffler. A sure rattle, and scratch.

The "wave" shift lever from spanglers won't work with my setup unless I cut and reweld it. I'll post more about that later too.

My wire harness is ready to wrap. Then I have a buttload of ends to crimp on...basically ALL of them. I'm even going to change the ends on the ignition switch so I can use a smaller plastic plug.

I think I have everything I need now, bought and received. I just have a lot of work to do to be ready to ride.

The wire harness is the big hold up right now. I need to dive in, get it buttoned up.

IMG_20200206_173917713.jpg IMG_20200206_174317778.jpg IMG_20200206_174332539.jpg IMG_20200207_184907030.jpg IMG_20200207_184843585.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Seems like we get about a inch of snow, every other day, and a inch melts off on the days in-between snows. Not much to speak of on the ground right now tho.

I'm changing the big plug on the ignition switch to the small 6 spot CDI type plug. I want the plug to end up under the tank. The big one would have been a problem.

I'm planning to put ends on for the battery after I get the harness wrapped and in place. Hopefully make it neat and tidy...have a fuse holder to deal with there.

Still have work to do for the TL too.

My plan for the neutral light will not work. Gonna need a NEW plan. Maybe a indicator light in the HL bucket, or pick a light, then make a mount similar to the K3.

None of that will keep me from riding this trike tho. Needs to be done, but not a show stopper.
IMG_20200209_175810648.jpg IMG_20200209_182825716.jpg IMG_20200209_225036490.jpg

35 terminals crimped on, plus 6 that I goofed. I didn't solder any of them tho. Hopefully my crimps are good. I did solder all of the wire splices tho.
I'll lay it in and test thru the lighting before I wrap it. Then I'll celebrate, and move forward with some funner stuff
:)
:)

IMG_20200210_191941103.jpg

41 - 47 of 47 Posts