PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put a 3 valve head on a gpx but the cam gear and gear on the crank are different. the bigger gpx gear does not fit in the 3 valve head so i need to change the gear on the crank. how does it come off? does it need to be pressed off or will it un screw. when you put it back on how do you know it is going to line up with the gear on the head when cam timing is set.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found that i can get the cam gear in through the bottom of the head so that sorts my gear problem out. next problem was cam chain to short so got one made today one link longer and thats that sorted. The problem i have now is i need longer studs. were or what motor has the same thickness but longer studs. Who made stroker motors and needed studs were did you get them.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
most stroker motors dont need longer studs. if your careful, you can use cut pieces of all thread that have the right threads. but thats iffy i think

and i found out last night that no one makes an oil plate for an oil cooler for these heads. the bolt pattern for the plate is backwards

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If you're retaining a 79mm tall cylinder, there isn't a matching stud setup in the wild that I'm aware of. If you're de-stroking the GPX mill and running a 69mm tall cylinder, studs out of an SDG 3v mill should work.

How short are the GPX studs with that head? A mm, a couple cm?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have been working on this project for awhile. I counter bored the stud holes deap enough to reach the studs and machined some nuts out of hex stock that would reach the studs. I dont know if you have access to a lathe but its not to hard.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Z50King said:
and i found out last night that no one makes an oil plate for an oil cooler for these heads. the bolt pattern for the plate is backwards

I found that a oil cooler head plate that i got on a chinese small valve head can work you will just need to make new bolt holes in the head. The oil holes in the plate line up exact with the holes on the head.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.