PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.....seems like everything I read is either quite old or built for adults, I've been searching Google for days. I got a 6 year old that rides pretty aggressive and needs some better suspension. He was beating on his PW50 so I got him a KTM50 mini because of the suspension, this worked okay at the track but we spend more time in the mountains and it proved to be horrible for that. So now I got him a 2021 CRF50, brand new and he loves it. It has power to pull both of us up the hills (he doubles me around at the track haha), but the suspension is bad.

I've been reading about the Fox Float rear shock that seems like a good idea, just can't find any and I have to figure out if I have the right one. As far as the front end there seems to be a lot out there just not much info about weights etc. I tried calling a couple places but no answers.

Has anybody figured out a good set-up for kids about 60lbs. I'm trying to keep it under $1000 or so and if it raises it an inch or two that's fine cause he's grown 2" in 2 months.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

·
Registered
162 Posts
xr70 forks, maybe a fast ace shock, xr70 swingarm or a used bbr +2 or whatever, will be a good set up but will also raise the bike up some, search about xr/crf70 forks on here

·
Super Moderator
10,324 Posts
I used XR70 front forks and a Baja DR50 rear swingarm (+2" just like an XR70 swingarm) on a friends' son's XR/CRF50 clone four years ago, it does raise the bike up an inch or two.

·
Registered
162 Posts
bike looks pretty cool^^^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, seems like the 70's forks are a good choice, does anyone know about the Piranha front and rear set up....too stiff for him I imagine? I like the bigger wheels and disc brakes with the kit as well and not having to search for parts.

After a pretty good phone call today I'm really leaning to find a Fox Float shock.

Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
162 Posts
good luck finding a fox float, saw one for sale for 500$ today

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks lol. I got a friend that rides for Fox, I'll have to get him to see if they have anything else that might fit. Are those Fastace shocks sprung for a light rider?

Sean

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think the xr70 shocks fit and will be a little stiffer and pair well with the 70 swingarm. I know I ran a klx110 shock on a 50 but the newer 50 have a more narrow subframe so it would take alot to get it to fit as even on the older one you have to spread the subframe to fit the klx shock, plus it was really stiff. As for the fast ace or DNM shocks they will be pretty stiff unless you found one with a 150lb spring, Im 125lbs and the 250lb standard spring works well for me. I do have a new 250lb dnm shock for a 50 I think but I dont think ill be getting a 50 anytime soon to use it on if you want it

·
Super Moderator
10,324 Posts
FWIW, you might want to read through THIS THREAD to get some insight into what fits and what doesn't on the newer CRF 50 frames.

As mr.skywalker stated above, the XR/CRF 70 shock does work well on the 50 frame with a 70 swingarm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks once again. I've read through that a couple of times, seems I would still need to find a lighter spring though.

I think I'll start searching for the 70's fork and swingarm like most of you suggest so I'll try to get a list together.

Forks
70 front axle
Triple tree (read to use an 80 clamp, kinda confused about this.)
front brake cable
swingarm
shock

maybe 70's wheels if it's not too tall for him. I don't imagine anyone knows what the seat height would be with this set-up?

I also read I have to modify the rear brake a bit. A lot of the links I follow aren't there anymore but I should be able to figure it out. Anything else to add or expect???

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think the reason for the 80tripple clamps is so you can adjust the fork height where as the stock 70 clamp bolt to the top of the fork so its a permanent height if that make sense.

For the rear brake it just takes welding on a tab for the brake drum I think.

·
Super Moderator
10,324 Posts
I think the reason for the 80tripple clamps is so you can adjust the fork height
That's 100% correct, I used an early 90's set of XR100 triples with XR80 forks on a '98 Z50R. Due to the top fork bolt there isn't a lot of adjustment, as you can see below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts