PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 crf110
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well something let go in the bottom end yesterday on a trail ride. I’m trying to decide what my options are and think that buying a complete engine may be cheaper than paying a dealership to tear it down and all the labor involved.
Does anyone know if you can get a replacement engine from Honda and what the cost is?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Probably will be hard to find an entire replacement. Might have better luck tearing it down to see if you can replace whatever is broken or rebuild the crank.

·
Registered
2020 crf110
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t done anything yet, it happened yesterday. I will def give the dealer a call and then probably tear the old one apart to figure out what went wrong

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well something let go in the bottom end yesterday on a trail ride. I’m trying to decide what my options are and think that buying a complete engine may be cheaper than paying a dealership to tear it down and all the labor involved.
Does anyone know if you can get a replacement engine from Honda and what the cost is?
I work at a honda dealer I have done about 18 crf110 engine rebuilds last 2 years most problems are oil drain bolt and or cam chain tensioner bolt getting ripped out by a big rock because honda didnt put a skid plate on bottom of engine.

·
Registered
2020 crf110
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both bolts are still there but I did knock the little aluminum slug off that protects the cam chain tensioner bolt right off on a rock. It was a rock that originally put a hole in the crank case cover that we welded up at the shop I work at. But after putting it back on I started to get a ticking sound. We thought it was the idler gear from the starter to the clutch making noise and that it’d clearence itself as it made less noise at higher rpm. For a bit it did get less and less noisy but was always a small knocking sound in that case cover. Then riding last Sunday I got a strange vibration, and then turning up a trail a bang and a loud knocking sound.
I still haven’t taken the cover off yet but I’m kinda hoping the cam chain broke? Idk. I’m not really confident in my ability to diagnose or fix it so it will most likely be seeing a shop sometime next week

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both bolts are still there but I did knock the little aluminum slug off that protects the cam chain tensioner bolt right off on a rock. It was a rock that originally put a hole in the crank case cover that we welded up at the shop I work at. But after putting it back on I started to get a ticking sound. We thought it was the idler gear from the starter to the clutch making noise and that it’d clearence itself as it made less noise at higher rpm. For a bit it did get less and less noisy but was always a small knocking sound in that case cover. Then riding last Sunday I got a strange vibration, and then turning up a trail a bang and a loud knocking sound.
I still haven’t taken the cover off yet but I’m kinda hoping the cam chain broke? Idk. I’m not really confident in my ability to diagnose or fix it so it will most likely be seeing a shop sometime next week
Did you take the engine cases apart, if yes did you reassemble with honda service manual, I called my honda service rep and he said there are no crate engines available

·
Registered
2020 crf110
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I took the left side case cover off and the alternator ate it’s wires and spit a bolt out. It had also come loose from the cover itself, probably the original ticking. The flywheel appears to be pretty solid, but there is some rash on the lip. I’ll post pics. I’m a little concerned w the amount of metal that looks like it’s gone through the motor at this point. Besides replacing the cover and alternator, let me know what you think about doing the flywheel or anything else.

·
Registered
2020 crf110
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spent the last hour raking the bottom of the case w a rag and got out a good amount of the shavings. I’ll fill it back up and give it another swish to flush some more junk out. I did shut the bike off when the stator let go so idk how far the metal could have gone. And it’s aluminum so nothing a magnet can help with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts