PlanetMinis Forums banner

2017+ CRF50F No rear shock upgrade?

24K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  benulis55 
#1 ·
I figured I would make a separate post for this. I ordered the +1 forks and front suspension then decided to look at rear shocks to balance out my +1 forks and support an adult rider. I called tboltusa to ask them about their rear shocks and when I said it was for a 2018+ crf50 he said they don't have any rear shocks that will work for any crf50 over 2017 due to them using skinnier shocks and the ones he has wont fit because it hits the frame. So now I'm stuck on trying to figure out where I can buy a rear shock for my new crf. If anyone has a 2017+ with upgraded rear shock please comment and let me know which one works. Thank you

#2 ·
So after doing research this is what I have learned... 2017+crf's can't use any rear shock that has a spring that runs the full length of the shock because the frames are skinnier. So you have to get a shock where the spring only goes part way down. Hope this helps out anyone else that runs into this problem. Right now i'm in the process of ordering one from hondamini.com I will give an update after I install it

#4 ·
I own a 2017 and can confirm that most of the shocks will not work...however there are some for our bike.

The local shop near my house has one for sale for about $70 Canadian or so. I didn't purchase it, but they definitely have them.
In fact, it was the shop that actually brought it to my attention that they aren't the same.

#17 ·
The thing I find most interesting is the fact that this issue has only recently come to light, and that the only Parts Dealer on the North American Continent with the only shock that is supposed to fit is hondamini. Seems rather strange that being such a unique situation, one would think that it would be advertised all over the website. After all, he is the only one that has it.
Since Honda has used the same frame since 2013, with the same part number - 50100-GEL-A80ZA - and made in China, why haven't there been any complaints prior to July 2018? I'm sure if there was a fitment issue with the frame back in '13, the Prominent and Reputable Parts Dealers like tbparts, T-Bolt, and Wholesale Cycle (among others) would have been right on top of it, and would have been in contact with their shock suppliers to find a suitable aftermarket shock to fit.

Text Font Line Screenshot Number

#18 ·
So finally got around to trying both rear shocks. The fox Float fit with only a small notch for the air valve required. We filed a tiny bit on the top shock mount and fits like a glove. So far I’ve just set the air pressure at a little over 100psi and there’s plenty of travel with no bottoming (by me bouncing up and down on seat). I weigh 160lbs. The other shock from hondamini will also work, it’s extremely close in size to the stock shock. Slightly longer. The white spring is from hondamini. I opted not to test out the hondamini one being the fox will allow me much more adjustment when my 5 year old is ready to ride. No need to second guess Dennis at Hondamini, the process was just fine and the shock looks good.

ill be selling the HM shock being I have no use for it. Asking $85 shipped.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
I have to agree with your decision to go with the Fox Float Shock.

Do you happen to have any photos of the white Hondamini shock on the bike and would you mind providing the eye to eye measurement as well as the OD measurement of the HM spring?

I am guessing it is 250mm eye-to-eye, with a 7mm thick spring, and a OD of the spring of 57mm.

#20 · (Edited)
Darn, I didnt take a pic of the HM shock on the bike. The shock mid eye to mid eye is 10 3/8" and 11 3/8" overall. The pics I took are sort of tough to make out, but I measured them. Not sure what the "OD" measurement is you are looking for? If you could elaborate, I will gather what info you need when I return home today.

I was told from HM this shock will raise the seat slightly (longer than stock) and also has better dampening and made to hold an adult up:). The shock itself is very close in size to the stock one.
If you need me to get a pic of the HM shock on the bike, I might have time on Saturday to tear the fox off and put the other one on.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I am curious how wide the spring is at the widest point of the HM shock.

As for the eye-to-eye measure, is the HM shock 10 3/8 or 11 3/8? I am assuming you posted the measurement for both shocks as it can’t be both[emoji6]. I usually lay the shock in a piece of paper and put a pen thru each eye to mark the paper and then measure the distance between the marks.

#22 ·
I a lm curious how wide the spring is at the widest point of the HM shock.

As for the eye-to-eye measure, is the HM shock 10 3/8 or 11 3/8? I am assuming you posted the measurement for both shocks as it can’t be both[emoji6]. I usually lay the shock in a piece of paper and put a pen thru each eye to mark the paper and then measure the distance between the marks.
I will take better measurements this afternoon, ha! I will get the spring width and eye to eye distance. I believe the numbers I originally listed were 10 3/8 from eye to eye on the HM shock and 11 3/8 total length on the HM shock. But I will double check.

#24 · (Edited)
If it’s not too much trouble, I would love to see a pic or two of the HM shock in the frame without the seat. Photos from overhead, the rear and side would be great.

If you could also try bouncing up and down on the bike with the spring mounted to see it it compresses. Some of those shocks are made for MX swingers and are like 1200lbs springs.

#26 ·
Installed the HM shock and fits great. It compresses easily enough with my 160lbs bouncing up and down on seat. It’s defintely stiffer than the stock one.

let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Thank you bigbwb for taking the time to test fit and photograph the HM shock on the bike. I know from experience that can be time consuming.

I can’t help but notice how similar the HM shock looks to the generic eBay shock I installed on an SSR 70 I was repairing this summer. The one I used was 250mm (stock CRF50 is 235mm) but can be bought from eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress for around $20-25. Unfortunately, I already sold the bike so cannot install it on my chinese CRF50. Here is the one I used from several different sources.

I also stumbled upon a 260mm one while on eBay while looking for the one I bought. It looks identical to the HM one to me.

Bigbwb’s efforts to help the forum encouraged me to do some testing and research also in hopes of helping others.

Here is my FastAce BDA01 mounted on my Chinese made CRF50:

Despite reports that it won’t fit, you can clearly see that it does.

The shock must be mounted with the lock rings closest to the seat and the adjustment knob at the bottom. If you reverse the direct the lock rings will not pass thru the frame and will block it from compressing. I think this might be where the idea that it does not fit originated. The spring DOES touch the frame and over time may rub the finish from the shock or the frame but with my 200+ lbs butt on the bike it compresses and rebounds without issue.

I also have an older iShock (no longer available new). The iShock is less than 45mm at the widest point so it will also work and easily pass thru the frame.

There is also the blue Kitaco Shock. Another forum member was kind enough to measure his Kitaco shock for me and at 51mm wide at the spring it will pass thru the Chinese frames. Here is cool video of a stunted 2014 Chinese built CRF50 running a Kitaco shock:

Kitaco also has an updated (red) version of the shock which I am willing to bet will also fit just from the photos, but I am having a hard time finding the pricing, availability, and specs except that it is a 220lbs shock with 8 clicks of adjustment.

I am guessing there are probably quite a few other shocks that will fit, but I just don’t have the time and money to buy and test fit them all.

So it appears we have options for all types of budgets:

$365 Fox Float MXR - air shock with lots of adjustability but requires notching the top mounting bracket

$110 Kitaco (blue) - approx 200lbs spring with 5 adjustments, direct bolt on

$103 FastAce BDA01 - 250lbs spring with adjustable rebound, must be mounted with lock rings on top

$50-100 (used iShock) two versions (reservoir and non-reservoir) adjustable dampening, Mount the reservoir at the bottom unless you want to notch the seat base.

$85 Honda Mini shock - unknown manufacturer with unknown spring rating and no adjustments for dampening or rebound (appears to be a generic chinese shock)

$20-45 generic Chinese shocks - spring ratings from 200lbs to 1200lbs with no adjustments for dampening or rebound. Ask seller to confirm spring rating before buying.

#28 ·
jamesfl,
Great bit of info here! You are probably correct in your assessment of the shock I purchased from HM. I will lower its price, I had not even looked at ebay to be honest. We shall see if anyone wants it, no big deal on my part. I am glad the Fox float fit being its likely the best option for what I am after.

#30 ·
I've got a 2018CRF50, which I have recently bought. While I do not ride it because of weather, do you folks think it is a good idea to replace the stock shock right away? Or I should try riding it for some time and then perhaps make a decision on whether it is worth being replaced? Sorry for a noob question.

#35 ·
bumping this thread up as I am mulling over the idea of picking up a fresh 2019 crf50f off the showroom floor....

today I called one of these honda motorsport 1-800 numbers for their USA headquarter customer service centers

to my pleasant surprise someone with a pulse picked up after only 2 or 3 minutes of wait time!!!

the person who assisted me assured me that the 2013-2019 crf50f frames all have the same part number and that leads him to believe there are no changes what so ever at this time...

I tried digging a little deeper by specifically asking what countries are these frames coming out of. This was a question they did not have an answer for, they said this was info that they did not even have available.... They said that there are multiple manufacturing plants making various parts on these bikes and that they could not confirm what countries these plants where in.

so now the question is, do i buy a 2019 and see first hand what is going on here with these possible narrower frames or buy a used frame and start a little project from scratch

#36 ·
I assure you the frames are different and not compatible.

I know because I'm involved in the local stunt scene and my 2017 is very different than all my friends bikes.

Also, never buy a crf50 new unless you like wasting money. They are very expensive new.

I got one that was about 4 months old that had less than one tank of gas on it not a scratch on it
.. still had the nubs on the tires.

And I got it for about 900$ cad less than retail.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#37 ·
@stokedcrf I believe you more than I believe Honda, this is why I have not purchased the new one yet...

For me at this point in life there is an allure of buying that new one that I never had as a kid and starting with a zero hour machine with the papers from the dealer in hand in a folder... I see this as something I would buy and only mod with new parts and most likely store in my living room at that point lol

I very well understand that one can be built and sorted for under honda msrp!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.