PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would make a separate post for this. I ordered the +1 forks and front suspension then decided to look at rear shocks to balance out my +1 forks and support an adult rider. I called tboltusa to ask them about their rear shocks and when I said it was for a 2018+ crf50 he said they don't have any rear shocks that will work for any crf50 over 2017 due to them using skinnier shocks and the ones he has wont fit because it hits the frame. So now I'm stuck on trying to figure out where I can buy a rear shock for my new crf. If anyone has a 2017+ with upgraded rear shock please comment and let me know which one works. Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after doing research this is what I have learned... 2017+crf's can't use any rear shock that has a spring that runs the full length of the shock because the frames are skinnier. So you have to get a shock where the spring only goes part way down. Hope this helps out anyone else that runs into this problem. Right now i'm in the process of ordering one from hondamini.com I will give an update after I install it

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2016 I also had problems. I ended up spreading the frame with a porta power from our body shop. Installed fox float then. Seem to work nicely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2017 and can confirm that most of the shocks will not work...however there are some for our bike.

The local shop near my house has one for sale for about $70 Canadian or so. I didn't purchase it, but they definitely have them.
In fact, it was the shop that actually brought it to my attention that they aren't the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a 2017 and can confirm that most of the shocks will not work...however there are some for our bike.

The local shop near my house has one for sale for about $70 Canadian or so. I didn't purchase it, but they definitely have them.
In fact, it was the shop that actually brought it to my attention that they aren't the same.
Can you elaborate which rear shocks you have found that work on 2018+?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you elaborate which rear shocks you have found that work on 2018+?
I actually haven't purchased one yet still running the stock shock.

But the local shops definately have them in stock, and they are different.

Winter is quickly approaching here, so I likely won't be in the market for upgrades anytime soon. If I do though, I'll post my findings.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually haven't purchased one yet still running the stock shock.

But the local shops definately have them in stock, and they are different.

Winter is quickly approaching here, so I likely won't be in the market for upgrades anytime soon. If I do though, I'll post my findings.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Hondamini sells one for $75, just got word today.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics of the area where the shock will not fit?

Perhaps a rear angle and from above (if you happen to have the plastics off). Would like to see the difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics of the area where the shock will not fit?

Perhaps a rear angle and from above (if you happen to have the plastics off). Would like to see the difference.
Once my shocks arrive(I’m trying two) I will snap some pics.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A photo as it sits with the OEM shock works. I want to see the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have to say I am fairly skeptical about figment issues due to a frame change that only affects bikes made after 2017.

Doesn’t it seem strange that this is the first we are hearing about this?

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Little sketchy I agree. I PayPal ‘d $90 so we shall see otherwise I will dispute it if the shock arrives not as described.

·
Super Moderator
9,587 Posts
The thing I find most interesting is the fact that this issue has only recently come to light, and that the only Parts Dealer on the North American Continent with the only shock that is supposed to fit is hondamini. Seems rather strange that being such a unique situation, one would think that it would be advertised all over the website. After all, he is the only one that has it.
Since Honda has used the same frame since 2013, with the same part number - 50100-GEL-A80ZA - and made in China, why haven't there been any complaints prior to July 2018? I'm sure if there was a fitment issue with the frame back in '13, the Prominent and Reputable Parts Dealers like tbparts, T-Bolt, and Wholesale Cycle (among others) would have been right on top of it, and would have been in contact with their shock suppliers to find a suitable aftermarket shock to fit.

Screenshot_2018-11-04 Honda 50100-GEL-A80ZA - FRAME NH132M (MAX SILVER METALLIC) - Partzilla com.png

·
Registered
34 Posts
So finally got around to trying both rear shocks. The fox Float fit with only a small notch for the air valve required. We filed a tiny bit on the top shock mount and fits like a glove. So far I’ve just set the air pressure at a little over 100psi and there’s plenty of travel with no bottoming (by me bouncing up and down on seat). I weigh 160lbs. The other shock from hondamini will also work, it’s extremely close in size to the stock shock. Slightly longer. The white spring is from hondamini. I opted not to test out the hondamini one being the fox will allow me much more adjustment when my 5 year old is ready to ride. No need to second guess Dennis at Hondamini, the process was just fine and the shock looks good.

ill be selling the HM shock being I have no use for it. Asking $85 shipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have to agree with your decision to go with the Fox Float Shock.

Do you happen to have any photos of the white Hondamini shock on the bike and would you mind providing the eye to eye measurement as well as the OD measurement of the HM spring?

I am guessing it is 250mm eye-to-eye, with a 7mm thick spring, and a OD of the spring of 57mm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree with your decision to go with the Fox Float Shock.

Do you happen to have any photos of the white Hondamini shock on the bike and would you mind providing the eye to eye measurement as well as the OD measurement of the HM spring?

I am guessing it is 250mm eye-to-eye, with a 7mm thick spring, and a OD of the spring of 57mm.
Darn, I didnt take a pic of the HM shock on the bike. The shock mid eye to mid eye is 10 3/8" and 11 3/8" overall. The pics I took are sort of tough to make out, but I measured them. Not sure what the "OD" measurement is you are looking for? If you could elaborate, I will gather what info you need when I return home today.

I was told from HM this shock will raise the seat slightly (longer than stock) and also has better dampening and made to hold an adult up:). The shock itself is very close in size to the stock one.
If you need me to get a pic of the HM shock on the bike, I might have time on Saturday to tear the fox off and put the other one on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts