PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a taller kid for his age and bought a 2012 KLX 110L. He can ride with clutch in fields but when we get in tight woods and such, he is struggling. I see where they make kits to turn the automatic clutches into semi automatic, but wondering what I need to take the manual to be semi automatic (still have clutch lever but have automatic to prevent stalling).

Looking at diagrams, it looks like I could replace the long collar (#13097 part) with a centrifugal clutch housing and clutch assembly on the crank assembly.

Part numbers appear to be the same going back to atleast 2003, however when I see people with the centrifugal clutch housing and clutch assembly for sale on ebay and other sites, they always say 2003-2009.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar or has suggestions (besides make him learn the clutch...).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Maybe look up the parts diagram for the 2012 non L model and see what's different/what you need to go full auto. Not sure about keeping the clutch. That can be done, people have done it - but all of them started with a semi auto bike and added the clutch, not the other way around. As fast as kids grow and advance, I fear he would have/could have figured the clutch out before you "Figure the clutch out". On the other hand you don't want the little guy to get frustrated and not want to ride either. If it were a quick fix as in - Add this part = your problems solved...I'd say go for it. But this is a little tougher - Gonna be up to you.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'd say the time and money to do it wouldn't be worth it because once you do it the kid will probably learn how to use the clutch just fine.

Just let him ride in the fields for a little more seat time and he'll get it down no problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been interested in this as well. I have a daughter that rides a 2012 klx110, and I have a 110l for me to play around on.

She fits the height of the L much better, but really isn't ready for s clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for delay in update. Yes I was able to do this. The bike now is like a rekluse clutch. Had to spend about $300. From Kawasaki I order the automatic clutch assemebly and bearings. The stock clutch cover does not work because 1.) the automatic clutch assemble it too large 2.) the clutch arm coming into the stock case is coming in at wrong angle so had to buy the case and clutch cable from Tbolt. Son loves it for woods riding as he never has to worry about stalling in a race. I prob can find exact part list if you need.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What did you do with the parts you took off? Anyone have inout if they will fit on older bottom ends?? Shouldnt be different ?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Ehhh. According to BBR, you'd likely have to go to the all up shift pattern on the non L model to go to the centrifugal clutch. I'd have him keep working with the clutch and he'll get it eventually. Or get an older 110 to ride until he's big enough to get the clutch on the L. --L*64

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can just add the centrifugal clutch with a aftermarket manual clutch cover and it will work similar to a rekluse. The sift drum only needs changed if your trying to do a complete semi auto swap Iike a non L or older models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just completed this swap. Ordered a used (good shape) centrifugal clutch and housing from ebay, and a tbolt manual clutch kit(cable style). The autoclutch works great. The clutch pull is quite a bit harder.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just completed this swap. Ordered a used (good shape) centrifugal clutch and housing from ebay, and a tbolt manual clutch kit(cable style). The autoclutch works great. The clutch pull is quite a bit harder.
The pull is very hard on them. Tbolt use to have a clutch perch/lever that made it a easier pull, not sure they still have it. Also fly racing makes a easy pull lever assembly too

Edit. Here it is

http://tboltusa.com/store/ez-pull-position-clutch-lever-and-perch-p-8095.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll give that lever a try. The 110L has a super easy lever pull, but my 7 year old has a hard time pulling the lever now with the different setup. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey moomoo & dirtbikedad -

I'm in the same position as you both, son stepping up to a 110L from his XR70 and not quite ready to take on the manual clutch in the woods. Ideally, I'd love to end up with a 110L that acts like a Rekluse for him.

Do either of you happen to have a parts list compiled that you could share? I'm relatively new to this and this would be a first time attempting something like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but the most helpful so far. I am adding to this to help others looking for the same information I have been for several months now.

Same position (I bought a 2020 110L), and have had no luck finding a parts list. However, I did go through the OEM parts for both the 110 and 110L to compare, as well as take the clutch cover off for some analysis. Currently waiting on parts, but what I have found so far requires parts from the OEM Clutch diagram:

Starting with the Auto Clutch (Which I also bought used on Ebay):
(Part numbers reference the picture)13095, 92152A, 13193, 41036
You do not need the auto clutch disengagement from 13102a and everything to the right in the picture as the new clutch cover pushes against the bearing (92045 in the picture) directly.
Then the OEM Engine Cover(s) Diagram:

92049, 13270, 92009 (x2), and if you're anything like me, you will probably destroy the gasket 11061A

All of this from the OEM stuff as well as the Clutch Cover for the Auto to Manual conversion (I ended up buying mine through Ebay for 80 bucks from some company in Malaysia because TBOLT didn't have any in stock, or were shut down for COVID). I will let you know how it goes. Should be in within a week (definitely before Thanksgiving).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts