PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well I got my KLX all back together after some suspension mods and putting in a hydro clutch. It was working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped shifting today. The shift lever moves up and down rotating the shaft but there are no clicks like it's going into gear. At the time I was trying to teach my stepbrother how to ride/shift a motorcycle and he stalled a ton of times from a dead start because he can't grasp the concept of slowly letting out the clutch to find it's catch point. Since he drives a manual car I figure he'd have that part down. Oh, well.

Anyways, all of a sudden it wouldn't shift anymore. Nothing. I tried letting it cool down, still nothing. The clutch is still working which I verified by pulling off the oil fill cap and watching as I push the clutch pack in, release lever, clutch pack comes back out. I'm guessing this is a problem on the shift shaft. I feel like I'll have to split the cases to fix this which means winter and installing a 4th gear drum, output shaft, and 2nd gear star while I'm at it.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this might be? It still runs and just acts like it's in neutral. Oh, one more thing. When moving the shift lever up and down there is a soft sound of scraping for a lack of better term. Not like a gouging scrape, more like a two parts rubbing together. Ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
pull your clutch cover off an see if you broke some pins off your shift star, or if when u put it back together u let the shifter shaft slide in alittle and popped the shifting mechanism(little arm with spring on it, on the shifter shaft) off of the shift star. hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should I see? Would there be a picture in the service manual that would show me? I don't remember being able to see anything behind the clutch.

pull your clutch cover off an see if you broke some pins off your shift star, or if when u put it back together u let the shifter shaft slide in alittle and popped the shifting mechanism(little arm with spring on it, on the shifter shaft) off of the shift star. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
feel around behind the clutch and you'll find an arm connected by a spring. its most likely out of place like kawi304 said

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
feel around behind the clutch and you'll find an arm connected by a spring. its most likely out of place like kawi304 said

Ok. How would I put it back in place if it's out of place without seeing anything? Hopefully it's simple.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet. I'll be looking at it tomorrow. I'm hoping its just this. Is there some way to prevent it from happening? What causes it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I had the shifter off when I took it apart. Thanks for the video, that helps a lot. I thought I had to reach into the case but I guess not. Maybe it was all his jarring stalls that popped it off.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
No, I had the shifter off when I took it apart. Thanks for the video, that helps a lot. I thought I had to reach into the case but I guess not. Maybe it was all his jarring stalls that popped it off.
i didnt read the part that said it was working before.. if thats the case unfortunately it is probably the shift star..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok then. I got it apart today and took a look. That inner shift lever is in place and moves fine. The shift star still has all the pins as far as I can tell without pulling the clutch off. What it looks like when I was playing with the outer shift lever is the "hook" on the inner lever gets to the pin on the shift star but doesn't have any more travel to move it. It's either that or the star is a slight bit out of alignment. Is it possible when I pulled the clutches off to remove the primary and install the drive gear that it messed up the alignment of this enough that over enough shifts it stopped lining up properly with the inner lever?

One other thing I did notice is it seems my inner lever hook is trying to grab a little higher on the star than what the video shows. There is a pin there though.

Ideas?

EDIT: It appears the shift star can be replace without splitting the cases. Should I just pull the clutch off to get a better look? If it does have all the pins is there some way to manually align the inner lever and the pins? I don't see anything about it in the service manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts