PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going? Having some clutch issues with my 2005. Back story is that I bought it about three months ago bone stock. I put all the big boy parts so its a stock mod. Motor is still bone stock. I put a HD clutch as part of making it ride-able for an adult.

My issue is that there is no bottom end power. Once it gets going it pulls me around perfect. Down low its almost like I am trying to start in third. It barely pulls me up my driveway. I have adjusted the clutch with the adjuster on the cover but nothing. I think there is something I am missing.
I had 4 of the HD springs originally then swapped the stock springs back in and no change. Bike had no issue before from what I can remember. Unfortunately I do not have the stock fibers and plates to compare.

What am I missing? Do the fibers and plates go a certain way? They are in the correct order, I know that.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If it pulls fine once moving and the engine sounds like its running right it seems like the clutch adjustment to me. Does it rev up but just not move or is it more of bog? If it revving up then the clutch deffenetly needs adjustment but if its a bog then my guess is jetting. When you did the adjustments did you do the full setting or just try tweaking it a little at a time? there are videos on how to properly set it if you arent sure how

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
I tried adjusting it every which way. All the way in til tension then back it off 1/4 turn. It revs perfect on the stand but once I put it in gear and it’s under a load it bogs like crazy.
Jetting wise it is is stock setting. Brand new rebuild kit. Tank clean, petcock clean, new hose so I don’t think its jetting or fuel
Has compression although I don’t have a gauge but kicking it vs my buddies that runs good they’re the same

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other weird thing I noticed putting it back together which may not be weird but doesn’t seem right is when I put the clutch assembly back in with the centrifugal part and I torque the two 19mm nuts. Nothing else is on. I put the kicker on and it has tension.

Wouldn’t it be kicking free until I put the cover on and set the adjuster?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks for the reply
I tried adjusting it every which way. All the way in til tension then back it off 1/4 turn. It revs perfect on the stand but once I put it in gear and it’s under a load it bogs like crazy.
Jetting wise it is is stock setting. Brand new rebuild kit. Tank clean, petcock clean, new hose so I don’t think its jetting or fuel
Has compression although I don’t have a gauge but kicking it vs my buddies that runs good they’re the same
I think if memory serves that may be backwards on the adjustment, I thought is full in clockwise, backout until tension then back clockwise 1/8-1/4 turn(thats where you can tune). If thats what you mean then not really sure what else would cause a lack of power other than jetting

The other weird thing I noticed putting it back together which may not be weird but doesn’t seem right is when I put the clutch assembly back in with the centrifugal part and I torque the two 19mm nuts. Nothing else is on. I put the kicker on and it has tension.

Wouldn’t it be kicking free until I put the cover on and set the adjuster?
That is normal, the adjuster, when set correctly, only adjusts the amount the clutch is released when you push on the shifter but If its set with too little gap then it can make it slip but too much gap and its hard to shift. With no cover on the clutch should be fully engage, or locked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks again for the reply
I think I might have figured it out. From a couple YouTube videos it looks like the last fiber plate sits in a little notch in the basket clocked over from the rest of the fibers.
Is this true? Because I know I lined all mine up. Just wanted to check before I pull it apart again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so just an update. Problem it solved. I fixed the fiber plates on the clutch. No change. So I started looking into electrical. Ended up being the cam sprocket was off one tooth. My guess was that it had an aftermarket one and they put it back to sell. It fired and ran so that was good enough for them. I only ran the bike for like 20 mins month ago now so at this point I think it was like that the whole time. It wasn’t my clutch issue I was chasing for a while.
Just wanted to let anyone know who is having a similar lack of low end sputtery kind of power.
Thank you to those who replied. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Yea if the cam is off it would definitely have the potential to have those symptoms, no low end but good top end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts