PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
couple more items arrived today...
this black bbr clamp will just sit on the side for now as I have the bbr sp5 forks with billet clamps that I plan on using on this build

0.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My ever so slowly growing pile of junk...
I will soon need to start sourcing some assembly hardware to get this thing mocked up and looking less of a basket case!!!

0.jpg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Let me know what you need for assembly hardware. I have tons from partouts. PS, If you want a good deal on a BBR superpro frame set...let me know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Let me know what you need for assembly hardware. I have tons from partouts. PS, If you want a good deal on a BBR superpro frame set...let me know.
I have had that frame you just posted for sale in the back of my mind since the moment you listed it...

Slowly getting to the point where the motor and hardware are needed and was planning on reaching out as soon as I have the money ready!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So small issue, I had picked up these silver bbr triples recently but since I am using the gold swinger I wanted the gold triples as well.

When a set popped up on ebay I snatched them up...

Now I am realizing that the gold set has about half inch to 3/4 of an inch of stripped steering stem.....

My question here is, can I buy a new stem and press the old one out and new one in??? Perhaps I can just pull the stem out of the silver set and press into the gold set that I would like to use??

couple pics of the two stems below

0.jpg

0-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have had that frame you just posted for sale in the back of my mind since the moment you listed it...

Slowly getting to the point where the motor and hardware are needed and was planning on reaching out as soon as I have the money ready!
Shoot me a text if you're seriously interested. I like making deals.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well here is the next task at hand...
press out both stems, discard the stripped stem, press in the usable stem into gold lower clamp...
hopefully I can tackle this sometime this week and move forward with the build!!!

0-2.jpg

0-1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
You'll want to remove the lower bearing race and dust seal before pressing the stem out from the top side of the lower triple. Usually the race will slide up (albeit slowly) the stem with equal pressure from both sides with two screwdrivers.

An FYI, the stem threads at the top are 22m x 1.0 if you think it can be salvaged.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well the steering stem swap was a success... I stopped after getting the new one pressed in though, I want to do a little more research before reusing the original races, dust seals and bearings that came with these used forks.

0.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
If the bearings spin freely in the cage after cleaning, and the races are not pitted, you can reuse all of those parts again. Be sure to slather plenty of wheel bearing grease on the bearings and faces when you put it back together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I don't know if I would go as far as to say they look pitted, but one does seem to show some marks more than the other. The pictures seem to look better than they do in person as well... none the less here are some pics from the two lower race, as well as a close up of the stem with the stripped threads.
0.jpg 0-1.jpg 0-2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
The one on the left looks dimpled from the bearings, they appear to be evenly spaced apart from each other. The stem does look beyond being salvaged, it is made of steel, I'll presume(?)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The one on the left looks dimpled from the bearings, they appear to be evenly spaced apart from each other. The stem does look beyond being salvaged, it is made of steel, I'll presume(?)
The stem is made out of lightweight aluminum as per the bbr website, they have an entire section with tech info for their discontinued products.

The race of the left is the worse of the two indeed, though oddly enough that ones rubber seal was the better of the two...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
couple more items arrived today, nearing the completion of parts gathering for the rolling chassis... will start mocking things up here soon and expect to have an engine bolted up by the end of June

fiveO pegs and hd mount
fast50s front and rear billet hubs laced to what I believe to be some factory hoops with hd spokes

0.jpg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Scored the fiveo pegs on ebay huh? Nice come up. bit jealous of the billet hubs, but wasn't keen on the price. good stuff though.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts