PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody
well since a fresh new bike build project was out of the question I decided to pick up a used frame off ebay and start a project...
here is my Honda 2000 xr50r frame

0.jpg

I have some other parts ordered off ebay and will update this thread with pics as parts come in. My plan here is to assemble the rolling chassis first...

I am thinking about having the frame media blasted, any thoughts about that??

Frame is in decent shape for the age, but the picture seems to hide a lot. There is some rust that I would like to clean up as well as possibly welding up some supports to beef it up.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Honestly, for the time / effort it takes to beef up a stock frame, finding a used aftermarket frame is just a better alternative.

Hard to tell if its just the angle of the photo, but that subframe looks tweaked. Hopefully the head tube isn't raked out. If you need other parts, I have tons and tons of stock stuff i'd let go of.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent Fast 50 an email inquiring about frame availability

for the time being I will hold off on doing anything to this honda frame and use it temporarily for mocking up the parts

Ideally I wanted to try and avoid the chinese frames and was pretty set on keeping it as a japanese honda frame build just for being a stickler on an oem honda platform build,

I suppose I could just eat my words and get some chinese craddle frame bike but if I wanted that i would just buy a pitster and half the fun for me right now is ordering the individual parts albeit expensive :rolleyes:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I sent Fast 50 an email inquiring about frame availability

for the time being I will hold off on doing anything to this honda frame and use it temporarily for mocking up the parts

Ideally I wanted to try and avoid the chinese frames and was pretty set on keeping it as a japanese honda frame build just for being a stickler on an oem honda platform build,

I suppose I could just eat my words and get some chinese craddle frame bike but if I wanted that i would just buy a pitster and half the fun for me right now is ordering the individual parts albeit expensive :rolleyes:
I believe fast 50 frames are U.S. made so your good there.ask around on here for aftermarket parts.members on here usually have way better parts they’d sell than eBay and at better cost.anyway good luck with your build! Hope to see how it turns out when finished.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received a reply back from Fast 50 yesterday and they are still not yet up for production, at this time there is co current stock available on the shelf.

I will be waiting patiently for Fast 50 it seems, or until a bbr frame pops up for sale.

Stay tuned for updates, fork and triple tree are in the mail already and plan to order some bars and levers this week

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Unless you plan on buying a super pro, or dropping big money on a perimeter, good luck finding a super stock frame. Theres one in washington, but the guy won't part the bike.

That being said, billetware/sano/sik50's frames pop up frequently enough on facebook if you look.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you plan on buying a super pro, or dropping big money on a perimeter, good luck finding a super stock frame. Theres one in washington, but the guy won't part the bike.

That being said, billetware/sano/sik50's frames pop up frequently enough on facebook if you look.
a super pro is what I had in mind, a perimeter would be cool but that build cant be funded at this time lol
I will keep an eye out for sano/sik50/billet just tough now that a lot of stuff is being sold on FB it seems and I have axed that account a few years back

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these little old guys arrived today, will need a good polish and rebuild in the near future as well

0.jpg

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have a fast 50's frame and swingarm that were used for mock-up never seen dirt other then the dust it has collected. Shoot me a pm if ur interested

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Also, if you need an engine, shoot me a PM. I have a bottom end, with a TAK88 top end that is currently off it and 20mm carb. Was told it needed rings. I'd let go of it for a decent price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, if you need an engine, shoot me a PM. I have a bottom end, with a TAK88 top end that is currently off it and 20mm carb. Was told it needed rings. I'd let go of it for a decent price.
I will reach out in a few weeks when I finish assembling a rolling chassis thanks!

I am currently trying to decide what I want for wheels/tires here, I think I want some street tires for that supermoto theme

new bars are in the mail now
will order seat tank plastics grips all this week

also haven't decide on a rear shock, or better said have not decided how much I want to spend...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stock 50 frames are definitely far from strong. Should be a cool build, costs a good bit of money to piece a bike together you’ll find haha. I have a 88 motor with the wiring, tank, seat and stock plastics laying around. Have Chinese pegs in a stock mount around as well. Pretty sure there’s a stock front wheel too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock 50 frames are definitely far from strong. Should be a cool build, costs a good bit of money to piece a bike together you’ll find haha. I have a 88 motor with the wiring, tank, seat and stock plastics laying around. Have Chinese pegs in a stock mount around as well. Pretty sure there’s a stock front wheel too.
lol oh yea, I can confirm that I am paying a hefty extra penny just because I want to put this together myself from scratch....
I am willingly admitting I did this half ass backwards by not buying something cheap and dissembling it and getting my fix that way
But honestly I hate ending up with extra take off parts laying around and I knew I would be buying upgrades for it, and I didn't exactly have the cash in hand so the devil of a credit card got me

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
exhaust, fuel tank, plastics, seat, bars and grips are all in the mail as we speak

stay tuned for pics

1 - 20 of 51 Posts