PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new to me 100 that's been BEAT! No brakes, forks were spewing oil, and the front tube is flat! My plan is to turn it into a beautiful old school pit bike, with stiff suspension, 16'' front and rear wheels, and possibly an hrc theme. I'd like to strip it doww and powder coat the frame, triples, fork bottoms, and subframe either blue or red. But first, I plan on fixing the issues... Here are the pics!

It came to me with bigger forks and different triples(not known what from), a powroll 110cc big bore and powroll cam.

I stripped the forks down to find the seal number, and called the honda dealer, and they came up with this part number - 51495-331-405 - It seems to be from a late 70's, early 80's model xl185s, xl100s or maybe even a '75 cr125! I ordered the seals from the xl100, so hopefully they fit. They didn't even have the dust seals on them under the accordion covers, so no wonder they were leaking!

These forks are 30mm at the chrome, which is about 3mm more than the stock forks. Should I keep them, or maybe look for some 80 forks in good shape to lower the ride height? Also, I won't know where to get HD springs for my 200lb arse, unless the xr100 springs fit these forks? Anyone think they would?

Also, is losing the air box recommended? I was thinking about throwing on a pod filter, after I clean out the carb. As far as I know, the carb is still stock, but the guy I bought this from didn't really know anything about it.

Are the ebc pads the best for the drum brake?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll be sending the fork bottoms out asap to be coated, and hopefully picking up the 16" xr80 wheel tonight! If anyone has any ideas as to what would make this a nice build, let me know!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should mention the xr75. My friend has one rotting in his garage as we speak. I think he wants to hang on to it though.. For now, I'm just going to try to go with the xr100 motard, and I'll see where that takes me. Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my SUPER basic idea of how I'd like the colour scheme to go. Sorry for my lack of photoshop skillz! I was thinking a glossy blue and red. Also, befor I coat the frame, I'm going to see if a friend can make a frame brace for me.

·
Registered
864 Posts
my buddy is building up an xr100 also, but yours looks way clean compared to his so you should be happy! If your just going to motard, you don't need 85 suspension, the biggest perk of having an 85 front end on a motard would be the disc brake. Good luck with your build, should be sick!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree, looks nice and clean.

I don't know about the fork painting though. I considered it on mine- but my experience from painting bicycles with high quality paint, is that it will become scratched up and ghetto in a very short period of time.

I'm curious too, which pads would be the best- ebc was my only thought as well.

Overall- good looking bike so far!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey firepower... does that dg xr of yours ever get ridden??

i'm in the middle of doing something similar to a '74 with box swingarm works shocks and all that.. but i'm building it to get dirty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts