PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Made some additional progress on the bike over the weekend. I'll probably finish this bike before the weather turns winter.

I'm currently modifying the Z50J wiring harness to work with all the OEM Baja and and aftermarket componentry. I just need to add an inline fuse and test the system.

The engine is buttoned up and I need another intake so it doesn't interfere with the tank and wiring harness. I pan on staying away from the 12 way adapter and want to keep things clean. I decided to go with a carbon Fiber clutch cover to match the Carbon Kitaco Pipe made for the Baja. I put a Titanium Wheelie-kids exhaust guard on the pipe as I was originally going to build this for my boys. I've since acquired them an ATC70.

Engine - Trailbikes 88cc BBK with a race head, Trailbikes manual 3 plate clutch, Honda Monkey 4 speed gearbox with new shift forks, a couple of cold-fusion dress-up pieces, and a 20mm carb with a Takegawa intake soon to be installed.

FYI. Honda of Japan makes 3 different stators and flywheels for the Honda Monkey. 2 by Mitsuba and 1 by Denso. I went with a denso flywheel and stator on this build. When I ordered my lighting coils, HOJ superceded my PN and the stator I received (Denso instead of the Mitsuba I ordered) didn't work with the Z50R flywheel. I had to go back and order the matching Denso Flywheel. The ID of the Denso flywheel is larger then the Mitsuba and they aren't compatible.

I'm waiting on the Baja seat and need to install the baja decals and wrap up the wiring.

Other then the OEM New Z50R tank with fresh powdercoat, all the parts are either new, NOS (in the case of the baja parts) or original to the bike. The original tires still have the colored lines on them and this bike was a cream-puff when I acquired it.

I'll either sell this or use it as my beater when it's complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Very nice attention to details while still settle an very factory style clean. I was wondering where do you get your parts cleaned an powder coated? Every place here in TX is overly priced an all there work I've seen personally is not worth it.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All the parts you see on that bike are original Honda paint. There is no powdercoated parts as shown in the last set of pictures. This bike was showroom fresh when I acquired it. A friend of mine (John Cook) had a tank powdercoated that I acquired from him so I could install a set of Monkey Baja Tank decals or have custom decals made I haven't decided yet. Probably go with the NOS Baja Decals. No idea who he used for Powdercoating.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's a couple more with the project a day further along from the pictures posted above. Just tidying up the wiring harness from here on out and got a couple additional pieces bolted on.

Last and most importantly, I'm going to retrofit a Tillotson AJ23 Gravity Feed Carb on this bike since I just rebuilt two of them.

I'm kidding about the tillotson part, but I'm sure people will ask about it if their monitor isn't up to snuff.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Z..... Bike is looking real good. I like where the battery is mounted in the Baja, very clean set up.

tmas

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
z50 chopper said:
see as you have blinkers on it I am guessing you have plans to plate it as some point.

Undecided at this point. I have 4 other plated minis and I may not take the effort to plate this one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Gee, I've never come across any tillotson equipment on a Z50, ever, anywhere. Not even my Sanford and Son farmer neighbor would have tried that. That's not an old outboard carburetor, by chance, is it?

That's pretty trick. I bet having actual high and low mixture screws will help you zero in on at least two points on the fuel curve. While you're at it, are you going to link the spark advance to the throttle, or run a separate, manual spark timing control?

It's funny, I've been trying to fit a hit-or-miss governor and a buzz coil ignition to my Z50 just lately.

Nice bike, Z. It seems to have started out nicer than most and it seems to be heading for spectacular.

(This is for your kids to ride?)

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
mexicanyella said:
Gee, I've never come across any tillotson equipment on a Z50, ever, anywhere. Not even my Sanford and Son farmer neighbor would have tried that. That's not an old outboard carburetor, by chance, is it?

That's pretty trick. I bet having actual high and low mixture screws will help you zero in on at least two points on the fuel curve. While you're at it, are you going to link the spark advance to the throttle, or run a separate, manual spark timing control?

It's funny, I've been trying to fit a hit-or-miss governor and a buzz coil ignition to my Z50 just lately.

Nice bike, Z. It seems to have started out nicer than most and it seems to be heading for spectacular.

(This is for your kids to ride?)

I was waiting for someone to chime in on the Tillotson. Apparently machinery of the past is lost on the youth today except for you and some of the other old timers. I'm kidding on the Tillotson. I just rebuilt the carb for my 1948 Merc. KE4 7.5HP outboard. She'll be going in the test tank before the end of the month. Estate Sales are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The bike was to be for my kids, but I bought them an ATC70 they like better, so thus it's a tad nicer now they won't be riding solo on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was going to ask about the carb but didn't want to look like a moron. It is a bit different from anything i have ever seen yet ive never really looked at boat motors. Very interesting.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Z said:
I was waiting for someone to chime in on the Tillotson. Apparently machinery of the past is lost on the youth today except for you and some of the other old timers. I'm kidding on the Tillotson. I just rebuilt the carb for my 1948 Merc. KE4 7.5HP outboard. She'll be going in the test tank before the end of the month. Estate Sales are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The bike was to be for my kids, but I bought them an ATC70 they like better, so thus it's a tad nicer now they won't be riding solo on it.

I'm probably not eligible for a position as one of "the youth of today;" I'm probably more on the front end of the "old timer" curve.

I was at an old engine meet last weekend and spied a really old Johnson outboard and took a photo of it to show you; I'd just read your mention of setting the 60-year-old points. Haven't uploaded the photo yet but will soon. I wonder what forum I should put that thread in? I'll have to smuggle it in with something having to do with your build.

Sorry for the diversion; carry on.

·
Registered
152 Posts
mexicanyella said:
I'm probably not eligible for a position as one of "the youth of today;" I'm probably more on the front end of the "old timer" curve.

You and me both :) let me just say the Beatles and I started about the same time :240:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
he ended up getting an ATC70 for his kids that he says they like better, but waity untill you are done with this bike and then atleast one will have a change of mind after seeing how nice it is.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
z50 chopper said:
speaking of boat engines I am looking at a 1955 owens 24' wooden boat this weekend for cheap

Yeah (Z50), I meant to ask, once the (Takegawa) outboard gets its (Wheelie Kids) turn in the (Z50) test tank, what are you going to (points file) (high-output stator) clamp it to? Do you have a particular (41.4mm stroke) neat old (Kitaco) boat in (Baja Monkey) mind?

Sheeeeew, that wasn't too hard. I stayed right on topic and everything.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts