PlanetMinis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There you go!!! Welcome to the dark side!

They way I look at it is the same for my Z as with my classic Mini Cooper. I try and only do things I could revert back one day. I would NEVER hack up my mini to fit a vtec in there but I have bored out motor and added a whole handful of parts to make it a better, faster and more reliable car. In the end, it’s what YOU want out of it!

My Z is the same. Nothing I have done could not be converted back one day. Can’t see that day ever coming. What I went for is in keeping with the look and overall aesthetics of the bike. What makes it amazing in my eyes. I love the fat 8” wheels and will keep them forever.

So far I have gotten away with the drums. If you optimize them to be their absolute best, and add some good pads and a longer front arm, they work. Disked would be awesome but it kills the look I love.

I highly recommend the Daytona inner forks, and going to a +1. Unless you lower your pegs, it won’t help with riding position bit a tiny bit taller ip front, and then leveling it in the rear makes them just a bit more rideable in the real world. I just love the look of the front forks and their “upside down” design. Would never want to lose those badass fork guards either!!

You have the 4 speed manual which is great. If you could find a pipe to tuck up like the original, that would be a bonus to really keep it stock(ish) looking. I still haven’t cut and modded the XR/CRF one I found stateside but it looks like it has worked in the past on these.

On that cooler, is there anyway to get it above the head? I guess you would need a different mount and longer lines. Maybe keep your eye out if anything pops up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
I could mount it above the head but there is very little air flow due to the fender/headlight set up, it just seemed pointless to put it up there.

I would love to do a disc set up but honestly don't know where to start. I've never had to source, configure, and set up discs on a bike before so I have no idea what is compatible and how to make things work. There are tons of complete front ends with discs for ~90-120$ online here, finding a rear set up is a little harder but they still pop up.

Turns out I don't have +1 fork legs like I thought...but I do have two sets of HD springs. One set from TBR and one from Fast 50's. Looks like I need +1's

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I ran both fast 50s and two bro’s HD springs/delrin setup. Both with stock and plus +1 chromoly legs. They work BUT I feel they are MUCH better for dirt riding. Where you need to stop the legs smashing the hell out of forks. Have you noticed any bottoming out on the road?

First mod I always did to my Zs back in the day was a set of real rear shocks. You can favor the rear while hammering through the trials or doubling a jump. When the HD springs came out, I jumped on them. So nice BUT when I turned to street riding and my speeds started to climb with more HP...the ol pogo stick front was just not going to cut it. The inner forks I got were one of my fav mods. Super trick and allow one to retain the z look. PLEASE don’t switch to a full fork swap. It will make mounting our headlights a bit cluttered AND you will lose the signature fork guards.

There are tons of ways to add disks but you are right, you have to bit of sourcing. The guys over at Blast factory make a bracket for stock forks. It gets expensive fast though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
TB Parts has a bracket with their oil cooler kit that mounts it to the intake manifold, above the head.
Yeah, you can buy that mount off Amazon. There are two issues with that mount: 1) My Takegawa mounts on top, with the lines, I'm not sure why they didn't put the mount on the bottom but here we are. 2) There really isn't much air flow above the motor, due to the fender/headlights.

I ran both fast 50s and two bro’s HD springs/delrin setup. Both with stock and plus +1 chromoly legs. They work BUT I feel they are MUCH better for dirt riding. Where you need to stop the legs smashing the hell out of forks. Have you noticed any bottoming out on the road?

First mod I always did to my Zs back in the day was a set of real rear shocks. You can favor the rear while hammering through the trials or doubling a jump. When the HD springs came out, I jumped on them. So nice BUT when I turned to street riding and my speeds started to climb with more HP...the ol pogo stick front was just not going to cut it. The inner forks I got were one of my fav mods. Super trick and allow one to retain the z look. PLEASE don’t switch to a full fork swap. It will make mounting our headlights a bit cluttered AND you will lose the signature fork guards.

There are tons of ways to add disks but you are right, you have to bit of sourcing. The guys over at Blast factory make a bracket for stock forks. It gets expensive fast though.

Nah, no bottoming out on the road. I have a bad wobble cause I blew out the original bushings, my replacement Fast 50s are in route. My rear shocks are Daytona shocks, they made a night and day difference. That said I get this weird wobble in the rear when I hammer corners that makes me a little sketched out..I think I need to take a look at the rear wheel alignment.

I wont switch out front ends, like you said, it'll be a mess to remount everything.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Delrin bushings up front have to THE best little mod you can do. The stock ones don’t last. Just about every bike I see, the forks are wobble city! Glad your new ones are on their way.

I had a weird wobble or feeling in the rear as well. Super sketch. I’d first check to make sure the rear wheel bearings are good and everything is tight. Then check the rims are true (as true as these can be of course) and that the bolts that hold the rim to hub are tight. Last I would look at the swing arm bushes. My issue was I installed my new swingarm, it came with rubber bushings. Would have preferred bearings but slapped it on and off I went. In nearly no time, I got this terrible feeling in the hard bends. Turns out the bushing totally fell apart. Thing was moving all about back there! I ended up sourcing a set of bearings that fit in perfectly if amazon. Tight and true now.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Whats the correct ID on the bearings? 10 or 12? I'm trying to source bearings here in Japan, so I'm not waiting forever for shipping.

If you use Google Chrome, it'll auto translate the pages -
キットバイクM10シャフト用フロントハブNTN製ベアリングNO4306 [4306] - 860円 : モンキー/ゴリラ/ダックス部品のオンラインショップ MINIMOTO - 10 ID
モンキー前後ハブ共通NTN製ベアリング2ヶ入りNO4771 [4771] - 809円 : モンキー/ゴリラ/ダックス部品のオンラインショップ MINIMOTO - 12 ID.

I was able to find the front/rear seals without trouble but I don't wanna buy the wrong wheels bearings. I'm gonna do front and rear just to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

Came across this set of 10" tubeless wheels that I thought were cool. As a big JDM wheel collector, it was interesting to see these made by the famous WORK company. They apparently did a few different designs and collaborated with Takegawa.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I don't wanna run 10s! I love 8's!

But look what showed up today! NOS BBR 82cc kit and not pictured are my front fork bushings from Fast 50s! Gonna be a busy day tomorrow.. I feel like I should toss in the 82 bbk because why not! It didn't come with a cam but I picked up a Takegawa one NOS for $20 :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Stick with the 8s for sure. I just liked the connection of your two hobbies. JDM wheels and Honda monkeys. Ha!

Yes!! Feed some more speed to that Baja!! The front fork bushings are going to make your bike feel sooooo much nicer up front.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
I've heard a few things for carb choices; 20mm or stock KLX 110 carb (18mm) - I'm gonna do some more research around the site but what is everyones opinions?

I'd also like to get thoughts on different heads. There are so many options. I used to run an E22 head on my old 88 build. Are there any good OEM heads that I can run? The reason I ask is because I don't want to wait two weeks for a head from the US to get here, I'd like to try to order something on YAJ and get it in a few days. Also, I shouldn't have any issues running an other than stock head with this bbk, right? I don't wanna smack the piston and bend valves or some shit.

Here are some of the options I'm seeing at reasonable prices:

Ported and polished OEM head (I think) - ライトボアアップエンジンに ポート拡大24mm... - ヤフオク!

E22 Head - モンキー ゴリラ シリンダーヘッド E22レギュラ... - ヤフオク!

No idea, maybe a Chinese head? - モンキー ダックス シャリー ゴリラ ビッグフィ... - ヤフオク!
and same head on Amazon.jp, 100% a Chinese head. I like the price tho.. - Amazon | Homyl リバイバル用エンジンシリンダーバレルヘッドキット110cc Atv Pit Pro Dirt Bike | シリンダーヘッド | 車&バイク

Also, this maybe the most Japanese thing I've ever seen. スーパーカブにどうでしょう 銅管オイルクーラー... - ヤフオク!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Is he located in japan, he orders an amrican bbk...
If you did not buy the 82cc kit already, stick a complete takegawa R-stage 88cc, or a kitaco 88 std they are right around your corner pistons matches head.
You do not have to start with a 88cc yoshimura head kit :p

(Stick a keihin pc20 with the correct manifold on your kit.)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
The TB Parts race head with the 25/22 valves is based off the TRX90 OEM head, if you can find one locally there
I'm guessing they didn't sell those here because there are 0 parts YAJ for them.

Is he located in japan, he orders an amrican bbk...
If you did not buy the 82cc kit already, stick a complete takegawa R-stage 88cc, or a kitaco 88 std they are right around your corner pistons matches head.
You do not have to start with a 88cc yoshimura head kit :p

(Stick a keihin pc20 with the correct manifold on your kit.)
Hey! I paid $80 for the stupid "American" kit. The R-stage and Kitaco kits are still around $200+ here in Japan. I'm trying to ball on a budget, which is why I was asking about cheap heads :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Put the TBR stiffer springs in with the Fast 50s bushings, didn't have a chance to really get a feel if it made a noticeable difference when cornering at speed because I wasn't sitting in the most comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
It's my buddies! It's pretty fun car, I guess. He has a cool Honda Beat under the cover to the left that he races out here. I should take some photos of the mini's running around here, there are so many cool ones.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts