PlanetMinis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Man my butt is sore. I broke down and ordered a motorcycle seat pad thing, hopefully I can make it work. I did about 180km in the last three days, to include my longest ride together which was 1.5 hours/35KM one way. I ordered a Takeagawa oil cooler set up, it's starting to get warm and i'm doing long rides pinned. I'm noticing a ticking when it bike is really hot, so i might have to check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You might want to also look into an oil temp gauge. Always a good idea to keep and eye on it, cooler or not. They sell ones that replace the dip stick. Simple

It’s a common thing to add in the Mini Cooper world as well. Most just slap one on without giving it much thought. In some cases they didn’t even need one! Low oil temps is not ideal either. Also, some who do need it put one on and assume they are set but coolers aren’t actually doing enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
I'm watching an auction for this that ends tonight

I know I can get a dipstick one but I have to be extra because I can. What are ideal temps I should be looking for? It gets really hot (90-100F) with 90% humidity here in the summer seasons.

Hey, at least I know better than to mount a cooler upside down like 90% of the people running them!

Edit - Just read ole Faaaatcaat's post on his oil temp experiments, really good read and I'll drop it here as well as bump it. So, how much does an oil cooler cool? Results inside!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
For the love of god can someone please tell me how this mount works? I can't wrap my head around it.

Also, this thing was listed as used but it's basically brand new and was $95 shipped.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Wear on earth does it mount? Around the intake manifold?? I mean, no but trying to think where there is something round that that would go around. How long are the oil lines?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Dude, I have no idea. There are a bunch of 'universal oil cooler kits' on Amazon US and JP with the same style mount but no one has uploaded photos of it mounted. I'm so confused. I'm probably just going to buy this mount, it's simple enough.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Looks like a mount for the near vertical downtube of an ape. (only very long bolts...)
The oil cooler mount for a monkey/gorilla/baja goes around the neck of the frame between the tank mount tower and the steering tube.
Something like this, looks easy enough to make it yourself:

Mounted it will look something like this:

ps do you have enough room in front of the head for that cooler setup? That picture looks like a dax front guard(st50)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
ps do you have enough room in front of the head for that cooler setup? That picture looks like a dax front guard(st50)
So it looks like if set up like in the photo, it'll maybe clear the fender. If not I can mount it on the bottom head bolts.

I didn't win that cool Kitaco gauge, it went for over $100 USD, part of me wishes I did because these stupid dipstick ones are around $40~ !

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yeah, 40 does seem a little steep for the dipstick ones. I agree!

I’d go with a traditional cooler over those side mount things. Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing but they throw off the “look” of the motor to me. Anyone know how well they work?

If you can, I feel like mounting cooler above the head would be better for safety. Under the head I’d worry about stones getting kick up off the wheel. Why don’t they make mounting holes on the bottom side of the coolers??? That has always confused me. That’s why so many are mounted upside down.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Yeah, 40 does seem a little steep for the dipstick ones. I agree!

I’d go with a traditional cooler over those side mount things. Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing but they throw off the “look” of the motor to me. Anyone know how well they work
Good question. I'm sure it works very well if made by GCraft.
tmas

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Tmas and friends - these come up all the time on YAJ, I'm currently watching one. They go for around $150 USD depending on what model it is, I think the range from 3-9 fins or something.
Gクラフト オイルクーラー モンキー ゴリラ - ヤフオク! This one is still in my range with a day left, I may grab it just to try it out and if the temps don't read any different then I have a fancy paperweight!

Side note, theres a few Superheads for sale.. whats a good price for one of those these days?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Watch out with old superheads parts supply. Buy a complete big bore kit to get a correct piston and barrel.
As far as I know the only current takegawa +R 2sm(ye olde honda pattern) superheads are the sohc 4 valve version.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Went riding for about 4 hours with a buddy on his Honda Solo that broke down about 5 times. He was having some serious issues after going to a 81cc bbk, I think it was jetting because the plug was chalk white. Also go the oil cooler installed... Not really ideal. Couldn't go hit because there is no airflow, so mounted low. It's at a funny angle to keep the tire from hitting it when the front forks fully compress. I have +1 TBR fork legs and new bushings from Fast50's coming in the mail. I wanted to try to keep the bike stock outside of the motor (came with the 75cc bbk in it), so I'm up in the air about the +1's... Hmm.

Also, does it matter which hose runs where? I just have the closest side running to the tap that pumps back into the cam.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hmm, I would have dropped that bracket some what lower and angle it back under the head and mount the cooler vertically. Only thing I do not know is what that is going to do to your lean angle. Baja's are low.
ps. If you are going for +1" forks check out the +1.5"(+4cm) swingarms.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Hmm, I would have dropped that bracket some what lower and angle it back under the head and mount the cooler vertically. Only thing I do not know is what that is going to do to your lean angle. Baja's are low.
ps. If you are going for +1" forks check out the +1.5"(+4cm) swingarms.
Yeah, I mean I can feel oil moving through it. I know the angle is severe but it's still pumping and flowing 100%. Yeah, the Baja is low, if I drop it and straighten it out, I worry even more about smashing it on things. Right now, it sits slightly higher than the exhaust header.

I picked up a Takegawa swingarm already, I wanna say it was a +3 or +4. Like I said, I kind of want to keep it as stock looking as possible. I think I'll run it how it sits for now. I have a beater Z50 back home I'm probably going to turn into a Baja since I've accumulated almost all the pieces (just found hand guards!) to make another one. Those stupid fork guards/bracket are hard to find and I need a wiring harness but those are every where.

I can't enhance it enough to read the tag and I'm too lazy to go dig it out of my storage unit :p

Edit - I stopped and just looked at my bike today. I'm not sure what I'm going on about keeping it stock. I'm never going to sell it and It's already got a ton of aftermarket shit on it. I might as well do the +1's and toss the damn swinger on there.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts