PlanetMinis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited by Moderator)
I realized today that my license plate mount was rubbing on the tire with the 265's, so yeah, getting these 300's on there is great. The seating position, rebound, everything is thousand times better.

I think this might conclude my work on the Baja. Aside from speedo issues, there isn't much else I can/want to do. I was thinking about an rotor kit but since I don't know f+ck all about them, I don't wanna mess up anything.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Rib = ride? It runs pretty well. I had my buddy ultrasonic clean the carb and that seemed to make the difference. After tuning A/F adjustments and idle, it gets up to about 36 kmh. I think my biggest thing with the Motocompo is you need to build up your speed and accelerate slowly to about 10 kmh before you can hit the throttle. If I hammer the throttle from a stop, it falls on it's face but if I give it a second to build up it's fine.

I'm so used to riding 4-stroke 50's and not 2-stroke scooters I guess things are a bit different...or something is still f*cked and I can't figure it out, which I don't particularly care too much cause it runs ok.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
So the motocompo won't surpass 36kmh.

I do not know if you still have your original speedo on your baja?

I think everyone wtih a Z50Jz and up, gorilla, baja, efi monkey, ape etc. knows this one. What happens if you reach 37kmh...
Answer, your speed warning light in the speedo starts blinking.

Maybe the motocompo has an electronic restriction that cuts the ignition when 36kmh is being surpassed..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
My Baja has original speedo, the "shift" lights blink but I just keep on driving. The CDI limits speed, not the speedo. I have an aftermarket CDI on the BAJA, so I'm not held back.

There are no aftermarket CDI's for the Motocompo as far as I know. I've seen people rewiring for different CDI's but I don't think it's electronically limiting the bike. Most Motocompo riders are seeing 36-40kmh, considering how much mine smokes when I start it, it's probably not the best internally. With an aftermarket exhaust, speeds increase up to 43-45kmh. They make 75cc kits but in all honesty, if I wanna go fast, I'll ride the Baja.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Pix are missing!!

Yeah, the compo is all about the cool factor and not speed.

Who’s crazier though, the guy that says “if I need speed, I’ll ride the Baja” or the guy reading who it who totally agreed instantly? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Pictures are showing up for me! Whast going on with your computer :p

I have a 108 sitting in a box back in the US that certainly will end up getting put in it.. I think it has a bad valve seat but I can't remember..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 108 in my Z50RS (that’s what I call me street Z. Haha) is great and plenty fast for all the rest of the components. Could you go bigger and faster, sure! But I like the 8” wheels, and stock look of the Z. I’ll do a 117 when this bore gives up the ghost but doubt I’ll change the gearing. A bit more grunt will be fun.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The cdi in my baja is certainly not restricted. Coming of a steep hill I closed the throttle at 70 kmh whilst still increasing speed. The rpm kept rising and was getting afraid to get valve float.
(completely stock, 49cc, 13mm carby, stock straw sized exhaust, 8x3.50 bridgestone nobblies, 13:31)

Normal speed is 55-60kmh. The speed warning light does noting with rpm, it just starts blinking at 37kmh.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The clutch on the Baja is the same style as that of a CT70H, correct? If you pull the clutch in, you can’t kick the bike over?

Assume so and what I’ve read, in regards to RPMs is that you need to watch out for the clutch basket grenading inside the case above 10k rpm. Now, maybe these later clutches are build different then the CT70H unit I am running in my bike but after a few downhill, max speed style runs, where my Trail Tech computer indicated 10,500rpms, I shelled out for a billet basket. I really don’t want to hold the bike at anything over 10k but figured I’d play it safe. Just don’t want to know what it would be like for the clutch to explode while in a tuck, screaming down a hill at 105kph!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes, normal manual clutch on the crank, no difference between 6v or 12v. Almost certain to grenade at 12~12.5k or higher.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah, not planning on going that high but I feel like I’m slightly pushing my luck with this setup (8” wheel and drum brakes) so best to air on the side of overdoing it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I'd like to run one of these but they only work on superheads, which I'm not about to go out and buy.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Also, thinking about picking up this motor because it's only going to be about $250 shipped but I'm hesitant since the details are vague.. オイルクーラー付き 【 モンキー12V 108㏄ エン... - ヤフオク!

[With OIL cooler! Outside 108㎄ Monkey 12V engine! ]

● Thank you for access. It is an exhibition of the engine with a monkey 4 mini OIL cooler.

● It is an item that is a stock part when the parts were collected together before.

●Junk and parts removal (Please judge from the current priority image). I do not understand the inside. 4th speed

● The flywheel turns smoothly. The shift can be changed manually without any problem. With oil cooler! We will also attach a harness as an extra.

●Since it is dirty and it is a used item, please understand it on the premise of exchanging consumables. Please do not make any complaints regarding low price start and junk parts.

It looks like the cases were split, judging by the RTV so it could actually be a 108.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
This is why I post here because even after 13+ years, you guys still have a way better eye for things than I do. I noticed the E22 head but I know those were popular heads to slap on builds, my 88 back in the day had one. They cylinder stamp, I didn't even catch. I did consider the extra harness and the connector off the flywheel to look suspect.

Thanks for the help as always!

If you guys ever get bored, here is a link to "TAKEGAWA" search, filtered by highest price. You can see some really amazing motor builds that will popup from time to time. There are still people out here paying $3,000+ USD for some of them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Also, the sealant is only on the clutch side cover...which, come on!! Buy a damn gasket!

Hindsight is 20/20. If I add up everything I have into this bike, I’d have just gone ALL in from the start...but I guess that’s a tough nut to swallow. 3k for a motor seems unreal to spend on a silly little kids bike...until you build one yourself and add up the receipts. Then you start to rethink your life. Hahahahaha!! My reco is this: save the receipts but NEVER add them up. Ha

161 - 180 of 214 Posts