PlanetMinis Forums banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Fired up no problem! Needs a few carb adjustments, it's a little flat.

Also got the white motocompo fired up, has a pretty solid oil leak from- I'm not sure where yet. Gonna get yellow and red fired up hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I’m sure even over in Japan, the slight of a Baja is rear, but how crazy is it riding one in the US?? The amount of looks I get on my Z are worth every second I’ve spent on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I’m sure even over in Japan, the slight of a Baja is rear, but how crazy is it riding one in the US?? The amount of looks I get on my Z are worth every second I’ve spent on it.

It's only see a short drive to the gas station so far which is about a mile up to the top of my road. Now my RHD Subaru Rex, that got some looks drive 2.5 hours back from ATL when I picked it up. Little nugget on yellow kanji A-plates doing it's best to do 65mph on the highway :p

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Dropped off a TB V1 race head to have the valves lapped in style the other day. Looks like I'm gonna stuff my 108 in the Baja. 45mph on the 88cc isn't bad in Japan but it just doesn't cut it here.

That said, I was considering bumping up to 10" wheels. I'd probably pick up some +1's forks and I guess I should go taller rear shocks? What is the widest I could fit realistically? 110/70/10? I thought I read someone had did 120/90/10 on 3.5in rims. I was thinking about a set of Hurricanes which are
Front Dunlop TT91GP 3.5-10 Tubeless
Rear Dunlop D306 90 / 90-10 Tubeless

I think they look pretty rad and they are fairly rare.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
120/70. 120/90 is never going to fit.
And may i advice at least a +4cm swingarm for that.

edit: Never mind, I forgot you are already running a longer swingarm.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
8” or die son!! Haha

The 108 will be a much better motor for the states. What trans is in it? Don’t bother if still running a 3spd. I have hit 65mph with my 108 on a 20mm carb, running a Chinese 4 speed, 17/30 (I believe) sprockets on my 8’s. That is plenty!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
That's encouraging to hear! It has a 4 speed, no idea what 4 speed. I was planning to grab a 30T but I only have a 15T front.. Could I run a 15/28? I got a 28 somewhere. The motor came with a VM26, too much carb?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Well off we go!

So a few things up front -
  1. If you wanna toss in a Honda motor that isn't from a Japanese model bike (ie doesn't have lights/accessories) you need to swap the stator over. No big deal.
  2. If you're using an XR/CRF motor, the drive splines are different. Z50/Dax/Old bikes/XR70s have 6 thick splines, XR/CRF50+ have thin splines. So, out goes the 16T (put it on my Cub build!) and on goes the 15T. So I'll be running 15/31 unless I dig out my 28T.
I'm taking a break for a moment before I try to see if this motor is going to fit in the frame. My eye balls are telling me no. The 20mm(?) Sheng I had on the 88cc motor barely clearly the tank inside, I have a strong feeling the VM26 isn't going to. The only saving grace is that the VM26 intake looks a bit shorter.

The oil cooler is hard lined and it's set up to be run on a mount from the carb (plumbed the wrong way -_- ). I supposed I could just completely swap out oil coolers/tapper covers but I'd like to get the TBParts one to work since it has more rows. I'm not a big fan of how I had to under mount the last one even tho it did work I was dangerously close to catching the front tire on it.

I think I might also go to +1's and 330s in the rear (if I recall correctly I have 300s right now). I have the swingarm to support bumping up in height so.

Anyways, I'll report back later and let you know if it fits.

Oh and don't forget to do regular checks on your bike...Who knows how long I've been riding with my motor mount bolt half out?!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I came into the same issue with the sprocket splines when I swapped my original 84 motor to a 2000 xr motor. It then switched back to the original style when I bought a new 4 speed gear set for it. I believe I’m running a 17T up front. It fits but you need to check one clearance around case and stator cover.

If you want to see how 330s will look, slap on those shocks you bought from me! I think it the added height will look great with that swingarm. Add a 1” block of something under the front tire to see if the overall rack of the bike looks right.

Just realized I don’t have a picture of my dirt hog with the longer shocks...but the front is running a two-bros +1 kit on it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There you go!!! Nice man.

Once you sort your rear ride height, might be a good idea to add a chain roller.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Great idea. I'll pick one up with my next Tbolt order. I wanna run a 16T and fortunately they have one in stock!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
So, here I am throwing on my 16T, adjusting the chain and I think to myself...I really want to send it. Then the adult in me kicks in and I remember that doing maintenance is important. I got sad and then reluctantly took off the rear wheel. I've had a full wheel bearing set kicking around since before I left Japan, now is the best time to do it because I go hauling around at ungodly speeds.

First thing is first, I'm going to say it loud enough so those in the back can hear me.
GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND BUY A BLIND BEARING PULLER.

Okay, now that's out of the way. Seriously tho, I've done wheel bearings in almost everything I own at this point...Minus the C170, which I'm going to purchase some ASAP.
Toss your bearings in the freezer and while they are cool (recommended over night) grab a map torch and start slam pulling out bearings, it's pretty satisfying. Any who, these rear ones were COOKED. Really glad I pulled them. Pulling the front tomorrow to do the same and also putting my new tires on!

Oh and I got this gem of a rear brake arm setup to go on the bike!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Posh bits looks real nice. I have a Takegawa extended arm sitting in a drawer waiting for the day when I switch to 4 bolt hubs. The splines are bigger then the ones on the 3 bolt hubs

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Posh bits looks real nice. I have a Takegawa extended arm sitting in a drawer waiting for the day when I switch to 4 bolt hubs. The splines are bigger then the ones on the 3 bolt hubs

You answered my question before I asked it. Sadly, the Posh arm does not fit. I had no idea splines were different?! Are the overall dimensions still the same? It would be worth swapping the entire thing out just to run that arm.

Got my new tire on today as well. On the left is the GCRAFT STEADY and right is Heidenau K75. You can see a big difference in tires, I'm really excited to run these.

Oh and I knocked my wheels bearings back in. Tomorrow I'll do the fronts and then I think I might get to ride it if the weather is nice!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
One thing with those 4.0's is to keep your tire pressure up. Otherwise these do not want to lean as wel into the corner.
(Heidenau 4.0 on 3.5J kitaco rims)

241 - 260 of 285 Posts