PlanetMinis Forums banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I don't wanna claim "great success" until I ride it but after one little hiccup (carb slide spring was jumbled up) it fired right up with great compression. I let it heat up for about 20 minutes, I'll let it full cool and do it again in a few hours. The weather is absolute trash so I wont be test riding it until it's nice.

So what I have now is -
Head- Stock with Kitaco Cam, breather tappet, Takegawa oil cooler.
Carb - Knock off 20mm with Dayonta ADVANCED POWER filter
Cylinder - BBR 82cc (PN 411-HXR-5002)
Bottom end - Stock Baja 4 speed. Unsure if the clutch is upgraded, assuming it has a HVOP but haven't confirmed.

I thought about porting the intake but since I have absolutely no f**king clue what I'm doing, I talked myself out of that quick.

J O R T S are still cool and I'm tweaking out because I never drink coffee but slammed one because I wanted a cool catch can.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Had a break in the weather and decided to mess with the Motocompo instead. I said f**k it and bought a badass exhaust and I have no regrets. The guy even tossed in a smol air filter! I got a 10 kmh speed bump which is awesome. Max speed is currently 46kmh!

Next is to see what rear shock is going to fit as a replacement. I have a friend with a stock Ruckus shock I'm gonna try out. I'm tired of bouncing all over the place.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Ha, honda minbike original shock life.
The first few km's they work, then they are getting warm and dampening leaves the house. Pogostick time, always fun.
Rodeo riding over speed bumps/sleeping policemen.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That pipe looks killer! Can’t beat the add speed. How does it sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
That pipe looks killer! Can’t beat the add speed. How does it sound?

Like a 2 stroke, obnoxious! It's a bit louder but I never did like the way 2 strokes sounded.

Very nice. Do you ever come across any Monkey R or RT's in your travels?
tmas
Full up and operational in person? Sadly, no. I do see them complete and parts online often tho.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Why doesn't anyone make 180-200mm scooter shocks?! I got sick of pogo'ing around on the Compo. So, I got a free Ruckus shock and cut the springs. Great idea? Probably not. Just sitting on it, it feels WAY stiffer. Shit weather means I can get a true idea just yet. OEM length is 180mm, this is closer to 205mm, I had to compress it a bit to get it to line up.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Links don’t show the products on this end but if you were to do disc, fronts, or front and rear but NOT just rear. That would be a waste of time in my opinion.

What shoes are you currently running in the stock drums? I’m running a set of Daytona (I think) front shoes with their redesigned brake levers. That last bit might be a moot point as the Baja has different levers BUT you can get a lot out of these stock brakes with a few mods. Good shoes and an extended front brake arm are a must!! Makes a world of difference. Will they ever be as good as disks....nope! But they will keep up with the speeds. Just require a bit more hand strength.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Make sure the drum liners are clean and round. Make sure the brake shoes are not glazed.
Kitaco brake shoes(the slit ones) and the longer takegawa drum brake arm for the front drum.

With a disk/hydro front end your are going to need brackets for lichts and instruments.

8" rear disc brake kits are small discs with mountainbike calipers. I doubt that they will keep up with the stock drum.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Kitaco might be what I have. Either way...

I assume one could easily just swap over the legs onto your fork uppers. That would allow you to retain the fork guards BUT you will lose the ability to use your hand guards with the new brake lever.

The Baja has a stand alone throttle, right? It’s not connected to the brake in any way? If so, you would be good but if not, you will need a throttle.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Kitaco might be what I have. Either way...

I assume one could easily just swap over the legs onto your fork uppers. That would allow you to retain the fork guards BUT you will lose the ability to use your hand guards with the new brake lever.

The Baja has a stand alone throttle, right? It’s not connected to the brake in any way? If so, you would be good but if not, you will need a throttle.

I think it's integrated... I feel like I should buy front/rear just to have them and shelve them for the future. Bah, who knows. I just want the rain to stop so I can ride :mad:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I mean, worst case you can sell them here and probably make a couple bucks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Sorry I completely missed these two some how...

Links don’t show the products on this end but if you were to do disc, fronts, or front and rear but NOT just rear. That would be a waste of time in my opinion.

What shoes are you currently running in the stock drums? I’m running a set of Daytona (I think) front shoes with their redesigned brake levers. That last bit might be a moot point as the Baja has different levers BUT you can get a lot out of these stock brakes with a few mods. Good shoes and an extended front brake arm are a must!! Makes a world of difference. Will they ever be as good as disks....nope! But they will keep up with the speeds. Just require a bit more hand strength.

Make sure the drum liners are clean and round. Make sure the brake shoes are not glazed.
Kitaco brake shoes(the slit ones) and the longer takegawa drum brake arm for the front drum.

With a disk/hydro front end your are going to need brackets for lichts and instruments.

8" rear disc brake kits are small discs with mountainbike calipers. I doubt that they will keep up with the stock drum.

To answer you both, I have Kitaco no fad pads (with the slits) and I cleaned up my drums when I put them in. I guess I'll buy those extended brake arms and see how they feel. I can always get the disc set up later, I have a friend who is gonna be here for 4 years who can mail me things.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Disc brake setups are crazy good. My front caliper is a ktm mini, it only covers half the rotor area but its deadly powerful at stopping (its a hybrid setup, as I run KTM forks, but often I have a bit of road use and even that setup pulls the bike up easily at top speed). Save and get a disc on the front sooner than later !

And a tip ... replace swap the front to rear brake shoe return springs (or better add new), also get a new rear brake lever return spring. Fresh springs ensures the rear lever is firmly returned & shoes don't glaze on the drums. Reason is your foot is lazy and often rests on that rear brake lever, not so much up front on the front so you can swap back. On vintage bikes these springs still work, but loose their spring. Using new gives you longevity in your drum setup. I found it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I've ridden the Baja maybe three times in the last three weeks, thanks rain season. So, what did I do to keep myself busy? While buy not one..but TWO more Motocompo's. Note to everyone reading these. It's cheaper to buy a complete, running Compo. You are NOT getting a deal for a ragged out one just to have one. Remember the plastics are going to be the most expensive thing to replace..that and the rear tail light with lens? Yeah didn't see that comming.

Motocompo 2.0 - Missing a WIDE assortment of parts and the engine was junk because the generator was missing.

This is how it rolled into my garage/kitchen/bedroom/living room/dinning room aka a roughly 4x4ft area I have to work on things.

I assessed the missing parts and started making a list. After my first go with the white one, I knew the bike pretty well.

The tank wasn't terrible - two day soak in vinegar with some shaking cleaned it up really nice. Unfortunately I don't have anything to seal it with.

I am SO sick of cleaning the scum and grime off these things.

How it sits, waiting for the seat kill switch to come in before I test it.

I ended up finding red plastics for it all the way around. They aren't in the best shape but they are original and not cracked. I had a spare motor already but it was just rusted to hell. It was seized up until I pull the head/cylinder off and sprayed some lube on the crank and gave it a good tug or two. The points were also not looking too good as illustrated in another post.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Picked up the yellow one for just about nothing, should make some good decor in the new home :p

201 - 220 of 240 Posts