PlanetMinis Forums banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Just realized I've done over 1,000KM in 4 months. Heck yah.

This is why I really love Japan. You find a group of like minded Monkey enthusiasts and despite the language barrier (which can be overcome thanks to Google translator) you have a great chat and they give you something personal to remember them. I went to my favorite spot today, Lake Miyagase (鳥居原ふれあいの館) and parked with a group of Monkey's. As usually they were surprised when I took the helmet off but immediately came over and started talking to me about the Baja. Before I left they gave me a wooden keychain that was a Kanji (that I haven't identified yet) and Honda Monkey on the other.

They also gave me a decal which had a link to a blog which they said closed in December. When I googled it and went to images, it seems like I ran into a pretty serious Monkey enthusiast!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
How amazing! What a dream to be there and really getting into the scene. So cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I picked up this head on the cheap, so I guess I'll do my 82cc swap. Not sure what head it is, it was listed as DAX 70 (CT70).

Intake: 22mm (maybe slightly ported?)
Intake valve: 25mm
Exhaust valve: 22mm
Exhaust: 25mm

It'll be better than stock head which is what my 75cc is running on now.

I also got this free carb, which seems to be a knock off 20mm of some sort? Just spent $10 on the air filter, so not a bad deal. Again, going to be much better than stock.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Dig the wrinkle red valve cover! The breather port on top is a good idea too.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I'm excited to run it. 75cc is perfect for Japan traffic, 82/88 whatever, is going to be even nicer. I'll probably change the gearing for a little more top end. Maybe add a single tooth up front and see how it goes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Well, I have 24 hour duty tomorrow. I have to sit at a desk all day and make sure no one sets the living quarters on fire... So, I'm going to take that time to do my 88 swap.

Time to party!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sounds like the perfect way to spend the time!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #190 (Edited)
Well things were going great!

Then I got to the cam sprocket. The center hole for the cam sprocket on the old head - 7.5mm. The OD I need to match the cam on the new head - 12mm. So that sucks. Not sure where to start looking, OEM 70 cam sprockets, since the head was sold as "DAX 70"?

I'm gonna say this is the one I need
HONDA 14321-035-700

OEM for CT/SL/ACT/TRX 70 models.

If I wanted to do a performance cam, I'd fancy one of these two? The roller bearing one measurements seem pretty spot on, the second one has no measurements, sadly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
After a few hours of searching if this DAX 70, 6V head will work with a 12V motor (still don't know the answer, if anyone wants to chime in) I Googled the BBR BBK I bought. Thank god I did because I caught this disclaimer-

"Installation Note: This kit will not work with the Honda XR/CRF70 or other big port cylinder heads. It is designed for the tiny combustion chamber of the OEM Honda XR/CRF50 cylinder head. The flat top piston dome will result in an extremely low compression ratio when combined with the XR/CRF70 type cylinder head. The result is a motor that makes less horsepower than stock." and also "Runs great with stock carb or bolt on BBR's 18mm carb kit. "

So... Looks like my stock head and stock carb is going back on. I feel foolish for not catching this earlier but I'm glad I did and wasn't trying to trouble shoot issue tomorrow all day.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The stamp on your new head definitely looks like Honda markings.

I've read that it's important to make sure that the bearing on the bearing cam fits nicely into the head. If it's sloppy at all, it'll cause problems. What he said was that you'd like to have to tap it in, using a right sized socket...that would be the correct fit.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
After a few hours of searching if this DAX 70, 6V head will work with a 12V motor (still don't know the answer, if anyone wants to chime in) I Googled the BBR BBK I bought. Thank god I did because I caught this disclaimer-

"Installation Note: This kit will not work with the Honda XR/CRF70 or other big port cylinder heads. It is designed for the tiny combustion chamber of the OEM Honda XR/CRF50 cylinder head. The flat top piston dome will result in an extremely low compression ratio when combined with the XR/CRF70 type cylinder head. The result is a motor that makes less horsepower than stock." and also "Runs great with stock carb or bolt on BBR's 18mm carb kit. "

So... Looks like my stock head and stock carb is going back on. I feel foolish for not catching this earlier but I'm glad I did and wasn't trying to trouble shoot issue tomorrow all day.
You could still buy the correct piston to use with your setup...
I'm thinking you'd need a 12v piston, made for the big some head.
Piston needs to be correct for the 12v ZB lower end/crank, and have the correct dome to match your head.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I'm sure there is a piston I can run to make it all work but spoiler alert (if you haven't figured it out over the last 10 pages) I'm not the most talented person here with these motors. Yeah I can do a top end and I've swapped out a stator plate but that's about it. I'm hoping to split the cases on a motor once I'm comfortably setup in my garage in a few months. So, someone else would have to chime in and ID the correct piston because I'm clueless on how to match things up (but i'd love to learn!).

I do think it's silly that BBR made an 88kit that utilizes stock head/carb. It's a cost effective power up, sure but seems inefficient.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm not that talented either, but I've done a lot of reading, here on the forums :)

I'm not familiar with the BBR kits, and what/who's parts they use. I'd start by confirming that your head IS a big dome, 6v type. dratv calls them "big dome"...6v CT70, ATC 70 type combustion chamber. Then contact BBR and ask them for a correct piston...one that uses the same piston rings that you have, and has the correct shape for the big dome head.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
BBR doesn't make BBK anymore, so that DRATV 52mm is going to be my best bet. I'm gonna bookmark it and come back to it. I leave Japan in a month and I don't want to start shipping things over here now and risk not getting them in time.

Thanks for your help Kirrbby!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
BBR, BBK...I just mis-spoke. Ask BBK...
I'm not familiar with either one. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some good info for you.
IDK if YOUR cylinder is 51mm, or 52. I also don't know if it's ok to use a dratv piston in a ? cylinder. Same with ? rings on a dratv piston. I don't typically mix match brands on that sort of thing.

Oops... I see now. It IS a BBR kit.

BBR doesn't make Big Bore Kits anymore.
Sorry for my confusion.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I'm sure there is a piston I can run to make it all work but spoiler alert (if you haven't figured it out over the last 10 pages) I'm not the most talented person here with these motors. Yeah I can do a top end and I've swapped out a stator plate but that's about it. I'm hoping to split the cases on a motor once I'm comfortably setup in my garage in a few months. So, someone else would have to chime in and ID the correct piston because I'm clueless on how to match things up (but i'd love to learn!).

I do think it's silly that BBR made an 88kit that utilizes stock head/carb. It's a cost effective power up, sure but seems inefficient.
Aside from price, one of the reasons that kit was popular was to run in the super stock class when racing, which requires a stock head and carb. The original BBR kits came with the cylinder, flat top piston and performance cam. The Dratv piston Kirrby listed appears to be the correct one and should fit your cylinder.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
BBR, BBK...I just mis-spoke. Ask BBK...
I'm not familiar with either one. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some good info for you.
IDK if YOUR cylinder is 51mm, or 52. I also don't know if it's ok to use a dratv piston in a ? cylinder. Same with ? rings on a dratv piston. I don't typically mix match brands on that sort of thing.

Oops... I see now. It IS a BBR kit.

BBR doesn't make Big Bore Kits anymore.
Sorry for my confusion.
No no, that's on me. I should know better than to throw two similar acronyms around like that!

Aside from price, one of the reasons that kit was popular was to run in the super stock class when racing, which requires a stock head and carb. The original BBR kits came with the cylinder, flat top piston and performance cam. The Dratv piston Kirrby listed appears to be the correct one and should fit your cylinder.
That's right, you're 100% correct. As someone who raced in the poorboy class, it should have clicked for me. Thank you for the verification with the piston, i'll probably snag it once I'm back in the US!

181 - 200 of 233 Posts