PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried and tried to get the rear axle out of my ATC 70 I've tried heating what I can hitting with a wooden block and hammer it's stuck in the carrier and help would be greatly appreciated

Administrator
I would spray the crap out of it with penetrating oil and lay the frame on the side and flip it over every once in a while. .Make sure you let it sit and soak in. You have to be patient. I have had them stuck on the bearings but not the internal sleeve. I think that is about all you can do.
tmas

Registered
#1 do no harm.
I would recommend taking every precaution to NOT damage your axle. A replacement starts at about $250.
I might recommend going to the hardware and buy a brass hammer. A big one... 2 pound sledge type is a handy tool to own. And buy 5 or 6 nuts that will fit the ends of your axle...to protect the threads on both ends while you're working on it...maybe grab some washers too. Then you can put 2 or 3 nuts...plus washers, whatever, to fill the threaded end of one side of your axle so you have something solid to beat on...something other than your axle.
Put a nut or 2 on the other end too...in case the other end hits the cement floor when you DO knock the axle free.

Now, the brass hammer is MUCH easier on steel, than a steel hammer on steel. Use the brass hammer to beat on your axle. Or use the brass against your axle, and whack the brass with a steel hammer, etc.
Usi g a wood block is really good too, but you really need to use some hardwood. Maple would be good. Maybe a lumber yard would cut you some pieces of 2x3...like dunnage... Stickers or skids or some junk they have laying out back.
Wood works good to protect the axle, but sometimes you need the extra jolt that metal to metal...hammer to axle...gives you.

What I'm getting at, is, do no harm. Do the work so you're not gonna cause yourself another problem.

You'll need to find a way to safely hold the frame in place so you can whack the axle...without sending the frame skidding across the floor...and so your hands and feet are free to do other things.
You can try some heat. Heat the bearing with a hair dryer if that's all you have...trying to heat the bearing so it might expand and let go of the axle...better yet, a torch. The trick is to try to heat the bearing quickly, but thoroughly, so it will expand, while the axle stays cool. A torch is really best. Then whack the axle to try to break it free.

The spacer and one bearing should come out of the frame ON the axle. It'll just be one bearing that you're fighting... I THINK, what year is your trike??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would spray the crap out of it with penetrating oil and lay the frame on the side and flip it over every once in a while. .Make sure you let it sit and soak in. You have to be patient. I have had them stuck on the bearings but not the internal sleeve. I think that is about all you can do.
tmas
Thanks you are the only person who would help so far

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#1 do no harm.
I would recommend taking every precaution to NOT damage your axle. A replacement starts at about $250.
I might recommend going to the hardware and buy a brass hammer. A big one... 2 pound sledge type is a handy tool to own. And buy 5 or 6 nuts that will fit the ends of your axle...to protect the threads on both ends while you're working on it...maybe grab some washers too. Then you can put 2 or 3 nuts...plus washers, whatever, to fill the threaded end of one side of your axle so you have something solid to beat on...something other than your axle.
Put a nut or 2 on the other end too...in case the other end hits the cement floor when you DO knock the axle free.

Now, the brass hammer is MUCH easier on steel, than a steel hammer on steel. Use the brass hammer to beat on your axle. Or use the brass against your axle, and whack the brass with a steel hammer, etc.
Usi g a wood block is really good too, but you really need to use some hardwood. Maple would be good. Maybe a lumber yard would cut you some pieces of 2x3...like dunnage... Stickers or skids or some junk they have laying out back.
Wood works good to protect the axle, but sometimes you need the extra jolt that metal to metal...hammer to axle...gives you.

What I'm getting at, is, do no harm. Do the work so you're not gonna cause yourself another problem.

You'll need to find a way to safely hold the frame in place so you can whack the axle...without sending the frame skidding across the floor...and so your hands and feet are free to do other things.
You can try some heat. Heat the bearing with a hair dryer if that's all you have...trying to heat the bearing so it might expand and let go of the axle...better yet, a torch. The trick is to try to heat the bearing quickly, but thoroughly, so it will expand, while the axle stays cool. A torch is really best. Then whack the axle to try to break it free.

The spacer and one bearing should come out of the frame ON the axle. It'll just be one bearing that you're fighting... I THINK, what year is your trike??

Registered
If you have to get more aggressive...
You can get all sorts of different sizes shapes and types of grinding bits to run in a dremel. If you can cut into/weaken the inner race of the bearing, you could likely break it using a punch or chisel. That bearing is made of hard, brittle steel.
If you can see that bearing, you can probably get in there with a dremel and...take it out, so to speak.
You don't even have to remove it completely... If you can crack thru that inner race, it will lose its grip on the axle so you can drive it out.

The bearing in my pics is much smaller than the one you're fighting.
Please please wear your safety glasses.

Ruler Office ruler Tape measure Tool Rotary tool
Automotive tire Tape measure Ruler Wood Office ruler
Toolbox Tool Metalworking hand tool Gas Electric blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have to get more aggressive...
You can get all sorts of different sizes shapes and types of grinding bits to run in a dremel. If you can cut into/weaken the inner race of the bearing, you could likely break it using a punch or chisel. That bearing is made of hard, brittle steel.
If you can see that bearing, you can probably get in there with a dremel and...take it out, so to speak.
You don't even have to remove it completely... If you can crack thru that inner race, it will lose its grip on the axle so you can drive it out.

The bearing in my pics is much smaller than the one you're fighting.
Please please wear your safety glasses.

View attachment 277707 View attachment 277708 View attachment 277709
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.