PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the rears on! She turns so much better now. You can actually turn the handlebars and she turns. I didn't try real hard to get onto two wheels (worried the added leverage might bend the axle) but, she feels pretty solid to the ground now. Feel much better about letting my 4 year old ride it by himself now.

Couple questions:
-Does anyone sell a beefier axle? Or can I use an axle or something else?
-Anyone have a 7" polished aluminum rim they want to sell?

Nerf bar had about .125" of clearance from the tire so I bent it and gave it about .5".

Work on getting the front tire added later. It was getting dark and I wanted to ride it! :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any benefit to running an a/m filter on a stock 70 engine? Would I need to rejet?

·
Registered
81 Posts
looks real good!!! tire looks awesome. i believe you would benefit from the a/m filter as the stock unit seems restrictive. i did on my bw80 and did not re-jet, runs fine

·
Registered
532 Posts
Any benefit to running an a/m filter on a stock 70 engine? Would I need to rejet?
One of my bikes had a bog that you could not tune around while running that filter. Swapped in a foam filter and it disappeared. Personally would not recommend. Also I have never went from an air box to a pod and not had to rejet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was speaking to 4 strokes only on needing to rejet for pods. 2 strokes typically are jetted on the rich side from the factory while 4 strokes tend to be on the lean side.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tried to tackle the front tire. Holy hell damn rims where welded to the tires.. Tied a strap to my jet ski trailer and other to a tree. Ratcheted her until it had a ton of tension, sprayed some silicone spray around the bead and waited. First half came off after about 5 minutes. Second half took over an hour..

Next the front bearings are toast and barely spin, so ordered a new set off ebay.

Wire wheeled all of the rust off the inside of the rim and polished the inside of the lip. Hopefully that helps when it comes time to pull them apart again. Also going to clean up the outside of the rim and paint it chrome.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wire wheeled and painted with metallic. Has some shimmer/glitter look to it as well. When I install the new bearings I might polish the hub and clear coat it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Figure I should replace the rear bearings too. Any tips or link to a good brand? Thinking the extra length added to the axle might be adding a little more strain to them. Or just go with the cheapest on ebay?

·
Super Moderator
10,362 Posts
Figure I should replace the rear bearings too. Any tips or link to a good brand? Thinking the extra length added to the axle might be adding a little more strain to them. Or just go with the cheapest on ebay?
I'd replace them too if it's never been done. Your going to need two seals as well. I buy my bearings & seals from Honda because they fit nice and I've never had a problem. They are also close. If I didn't go with Honda bearings I would get All Balls racing bearings.
tmas

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/506f8943f8700229747b92fb/rear-wheel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-78-85-ATC70-Rear-Axle-Bearing-Kit-ATC-70-Wheel-Bearing-Kit/232552499183?epid=209919197&hash=item36253587ef:g:GGwAAOSwUwFaAKH6

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ended up taking the wheel spacers off as it was just to wide..

And down playing in the mud and driving the kiddos through parts of a nearby swamp. (With the spacers off)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ended up taking the wheel spacers off as it was just to wide..
Looking good and yes extreme rear width is not the answer. It was smart to remove the rear spacers as the trike will be much more nimble and easier to turn in tights slow speed corners. Also if you ride up and down roadside drainage ditches like I often do for fun the narrower rear tract will transition much easier from running on the flat to running along the side hills.

Those Duro tires are quite fun as they are smooth and rounded enough (and stiff enough) to slide without catching an edge yet still hook up when accelerating hard straight ahead. They also do amazingly well on sand or even snow providing enought slip to power slide and drift yet have enough forward grip to be fun. Also way more gentile on your lawn compared to knobbies. I still have mine and will likely mount them back up onto another set of wheels just so I can get them out for a ride again this summer.

Only downside is they are quite heavy with such large tread blocks and they have stiff sidewalls which resist rolling over when sliding but also ride on the harsh side with more than 2.5 - 3 psi. The Maxxas tires I switched to are about 1/2 the weight and have way more compliant sidewalls providing a much smoother ride when going fast (40 - 50 mph) on a modified 70. With stock speeds and hp the Duro tires are hard to beat for the most fun and least amount of lawn damage.

Glad to see you and your family out having some trike fun!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looking good and yes extreme rear width is not the answer. It was smart to remove the rear spacers as the trike will be much more nimble and easier to turn in tights slow speed corners. Also if you ride up and down roadside drainage ditches like I often do for fun the narrower rear tract will transition much easier from running on the flat to running along the side hills.

Those Duro tires are quite fun as they are smooth and rounded enough (and stiff enough) to slide without catching an edge yet still hook up when accelerating hard straight ahead. They also do amazingly well on sand or even snow providing enought slip to power slide and drift yet have enough forward grip to be fun. Also way more gentile on your lawn compared to knobbies. I still have mine and will likely mount them back up onto another set of wheels just so I can get them out for a ride again this summer.

Only downside is they are quite heavy with such large tread blocks and they have stiff sidewalls which resist rolling over when sliding but also ride on the harsh side with more than 2.5 - 3 psi. The Maxxas tires I switched to are about 1/2 the weight and have way more compliant sidewalls providing a much smoother ride when going fast (40 - 50 mph) on a modified 70. With stock speeds and hp the Duro tires are hard to beat for the most fun and least amount of lawn damage.

Glad to see you and your family out having some trike fun!
I like them so far, thank you again for the recommendation and pictures! Only thing I have noticed is the front wheel has a side to side wobble at higher speeds. Also I drove through a puddle and lost spark.. So that has motivated me to finish rebuilding my Chinese 107cc ES engine and to drop that in. Also thinking about going with a larger rear sprocket, I think it would be more fun if I could break loose the rear tires around turns. :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts