PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I tried out two paints today. Duplicolor Red and Duplicolor Red-Orange. The first picture is original good paint (right side is original and left side is the Duplicolor Red. The second picture shows the DC Red-Orange and the DC Red side by side.

It is kinda hard to tell from the pictures but the Red-Orange matches the faded paint better but the Red is a bit darker than the good paint (non-faded from being under the frame.

Any suggestions about which color you all would choose?
The color that matches the unfaded pieces.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man those nuts and bolts and such look great. I spent a couple weekends on the grinding/polishing wheels on mine but they didn’t all turn out like that. Springs are especially hard. Did you do a sodium carbonate bath with electrolysis or soak them in something else? Or, is that all by hand polishing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Man those nuts and bolts and such look great. I spent a couple weekends on the grinding/polishing wheels on mine but they didn’t all turn out like that. Springs are especially hard. Did you do a sodium carbonate bath with electrolysis or soak them in something else? Or, is that all by hand polishing?

No. I bought Scotch Brite like pads from Pryme MX (link is below). It is Cameron Niemela's company. He has a great Youtube Channel, and he uses these pads all the time on his restorations. Check it out! I used the pads on everything: bolts, handlebars, sprocket, springs, even on some electrical connections. Now I find myself looking around the house for stuff to grind on!

Cleaning Pads

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looking really good! You may already know this, but the front wheel and hub are backwards. The drum side of the hub should be on the same side as the tire valve stem. That side of the wheel is a little deeper, and putting it on the other side will offset it quite a bit between the forks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The handle bar clamp mount looks great. Did you just scot h bright it or also put clear on it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Looking really good! You may already know this, but the front wheel and hub are backwards. The drum side of the hub should be on the same side as the tire valve stem. That side of the wheel is a little deeper, and putting it on the other side will offset it quite a bit between the forks.
Thanks for the tip! I will look into that today! I could tell something wasn't right because the little bar that goes into the brakes was not far enough into the slot. Thanks again dude! If you see anything else messed up, let me know. I might need help with the wiring!

·
Registered
37 Posts
No. I bought Scotch Brite like pads from Pryme MX (link is below). It is Cameron Niemela's company. He has a great Youtube Channel, and he uses these pads all the time on his restorations. Check it out! I used the pads on everything: bolts, handlebars, sprocket, springs, even on some electrical connections. Now I find myself looking around the house for stuff to grind on!

Cleaning Pads
So, Dremel is the word, eh? I have some of those that came in the various kits I got with a couple Dremels I have but never thought of using those...probably would have saved some finger skin and my cow hide gloves in one piece! lol. Thanks for the tip...that stuff looks amazing, going to have to get after mine with these now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, Dremel is the word, eh? I have some of those that came in the various kits I got with a couple Dremels I have but never thought of using those...probably would have saved some finger skin and my cow hide gloves in one piece! lol. Thanks for the tip...that stuff looks amazing, going to have to get after mine with these now.
I did not use Dremel very much. I used scotch brite like pads on a buffing machine. The pads are from prymemx.com .

21 - 40 of 40 Posts