PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First post here. I am restoring my 1978 Z50 and I have a question about the fenders and gas tank. This was the only year that the z50 had red fenders so they are hard to come by. Now, the fenders need some work as there are some scratches, they are slightly bent, and one corner of the back fender is rusted and a bit mangled.

The question is, should I try to hammer out the dents and repaint or since the color is pretty rare, should I just polish them and leave it alone? By the way, the rest of the bike is getting a complete restoration so the fenders and tank might look out of place. However, maybe it will give the bike some character.

If I could find the exact paint, I would paint them but I think that is nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
The question is, should I try to hammer out the dents and repaint or since the color is pretty rare, should I just polish them and leave it alone? By the way, the rest of the bike is getting a complete restoration so the fenders and tank might look out of place. However, maybe it will give the bike some character.
I would do that and see how they turn out. Can you post a pic of the tank?.(y)
tmas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Honda R23 Tahitian Red paint is still readily available from ColorRite as seen HERE
Thanks for the reply. I had read that that Tahitian Red was significantly different than the original. I agree though, to fenders need some work. Maybe I will order the paint and test it out. My goal for the bike is to keep it as original as possible. The bike will be 99% original except for the tires. I had to cut them off because they were rusted on.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'll bet if you took those parts to a PRO, they could do a verry nice job of straightening them out...as good as physically possible...for cheap30-40 beans if I'm guessing. Then they're done, ready to bolt up and ride, or...ready for weld and paint, etc. Repainting can always be a option. But you only get one shot at keeping the original, worn, weathered, and matching patina...if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
New paint will never match 42 year old worn and faded paint. You touch it up, if you want, then be OK with the touch ups. If you're a tru fan of patina...touch ups are a part of the story..."and then, in 2020, I did some repairs and touched up the paint..."

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just re-read your first post...
If you are doing more of a restoration, new paint is in order. Still...let a pro straighten the parts for you. Unless maybe you yourself are really good at that sort of thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, thanks for the advice. I think you all are right! I put the forks back together today just to see what the new frame looks like against the faded, scratched forks. I definitely need to paint all the red metal. I will post a picture later of the new frame paint and faded forks.

Having said that, would all the painted pieces need a primer coat? And again, what paint would you recommend? Got a good tip from a previous poster but do you all have any other ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just re-read your first post...
If you are doing more of a restoration, new paint is in order. Still...let a pro straighten the parts for you. Unless maybe you yourself are really good at that sort of thing.
Nope! I would need a pro. Would I just take it to body shop for that? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll bet if you took those parts to a PRO, they could do a verry nice job of straightening them out...as good as physically possible...for cheap30-40 beans if I'm guessing. Then they're done, ready to bolt up and ride, or...ready for weld and paint, etc. Repainting can always be a option. But you only get one shot at keeping the original, worn, weathered, and matching patina...if that's what you're after.
You are right! Gonna take it to get it straightened out and just repaint it. New frame paint with old fenders just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried out two paints today. Duplicolor Red and Duplicolor Red-Orange. The first picture is original good paint (right side is original and left side is the Duplicolor Red. The second picture shows the DC Red-Orange and the DC Red side by side.

It is kinda hard to tell from the pictures but the Red-Orange matches the faded paint better but the Red is a bit darker than the good paint (non-faded from being under the frame.

Any suggestions about which color you all would choose?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts