PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Looking to confirm the year of my bike, I spent some time online reading and finding serial numbers.

My bike is indeed a 1972, SS50E, it is the last year of the Honda SS50E "Honda 67" in Vietnam, after that the stamp was SS50V. I found a bike frame from 1971 in the 200xxx so mine being in the 300xxx must be the last year then, 1972.

It`s so confusing with Honda as in the same time in Europe, the frames looked different, not to mntion the tank, but I never trusted the tank shape was original, I wouldn`t have been surprised to find out the bike was an earlier one built to look older.

Anyway, hurricane Douglas is coming, might loose internet in a bit but I have ordered the 117CC stroker kit #6 from Tbolt Usa, with a high flow oil pump and a billet clutch basket. Hopefully my springs will be strong enough, it was supposed to be an upgraded clutch already...

Imma upload pics of a cool bike that was sold recently locally at auction from The Brewseum in Honolulu. Sadly it closed down.
It was a cool WW2 museum with a bunch of memorabilia and had this Vietnamese tricycle with a Honda engine I had noticed while drinking beers. Teak cargo area too. Kinda useless here but I would have loved to have disposable income and buy it and go surfing with it in town just for fun. It sold for less than $2k, something like 1900 bucks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

I`m adding this cool article about mopeds in Vietnam pre-1975, it features the SS50 and a few Motobecane, a French brand I`m well familiar with as I started my moped life working on them :D
The first one was an old ?1965? Blue 88 Motobecane that was sitting in the streets below my appartment, bought for the equivalent of today`s 12 bucks from my shaddy Cape Verdean neighbor, we cut the lock, I never knew if it was really his. :unsure:
We pushed it around the block for a long while trying to start it as one or 2 pedals were missing I recall ( back in 1997), but it never started.
No major conrod play, I took it anyway...
My brother and I split the engine and replaced the crank bearings, he taught me how to work on these simple 2T engines, we got it running in no time. Sold it 10 times the purchase price, a bargain these days... Very fond memories! 👍

41 - 48 of 48 Posts