PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1972 CT70H
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with the red positive wire getting hot and blowing the fuse when I try to hook up the battery to the main harness 4 way plug. It starts heating up and blows the fuse when I turn the key to the first position on the ignition. I will start with I do not have the correct 4 way plug coming from the battery so I took the wires out of the plug and manually put them in the female 4 way from the main harness. I started by unplugging everything up front, speedometer, stop switches, horn,horn button, hi-low switch. I also unplugged in the back, tail lights, rectifier, coil, stop switch. I then hooked up the plug and it still blew the fuse and got hot. I looked and had forgotten the blue and white headlight wires so I unplugged those. It finally did not blow the fuse because I assume nothing had power. Is the best way to determine what wiring has the issue and is not grounding correctly or something to start plugging things back in one by one with the battery hooked up and see if the fuse blows again? Am I totally missing something here? I totally hate wiring and honestly I suck at it because apparently I don't have the attention span for it. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
211 Posts
Pull the battery, get a voltage tester, and see if you have continuity between that wire and the frame. Could be worn through and shorting somewhere.

·
Registered
1972 CT70H
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds good Hetrickson and thank you. Believe it or not I do have a multi meter I use from time to time but I still hate it.

·
Registered
1972 CT70H
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds good Hetrickson and thank you. Believe it or not I do have a multi meter I use from time to time but I still hate it.
I should have stated that it is a new wire bundle I am using with a new battery and wires. I am sure the new bundle was made in China so anything is possible as far as that goes. I also repainted the frame completely if that matters for grounding things to the frame. I read that somewhere once is the only reason I sated that.

·
Registered
1972 CT70H
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I believe my issue was I had an incorrect ignition switch. The guys I bought the bike from had a bunch of them and just threw parts on this particular one to make it a roller. Upon review of the back of the switch and some multimeter checking the incorrect ignition was sending power through places it shouldn't have been. I know that isn't a technical answer but that is what I got out of it when one of my friends did all the checking. I found the correct ignition switch and everything works fine now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts