PlanetMinis Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm a fan of hardtail z50s...especially K2s. And I have strong opinions, that not everyone agrees with. But...
If my brother or son was asking me for advice, ESPECIALLY if they had a good original, 52 year old z50 with the original engine...I would tell them to keep it stock, ang give the original engine a full proper rebuild. 49cc 3speed semi-auto with the original carb, air filter...the works.
Those bikes are awesome just as Honda designed and built them. Sturdy, steady, and kinda slow. Starts effortlessly EVERY time, and will pull you up a hill...slowly and with NO rear suspension. Every part fits and works properly because every part is the CORRECT part for the bike.

If you do the classic 88cc BB kit on a hard tail, it becomes something different beast. Adding all of those CCs, you'll be asking for more advice...
"You really need a bigger"...bunch of stuff. NON stock stuff that is difficult to fit and tune and...it can wear you out.
If you want to add power, I would actually recommend a upgrade to 72cc. The original carb and exhaust and such will be...ok...ALMOST adequate. But it will be doable, and without much EXTRA work, and parts. You'll gain a little grunt and speed, but not soo much to make it uncomfortable.
Then keep the original cylinder and stuff in a box for someday when you MIGHT decide that you want to give your little gem a full restoration back to new.

If history holds true...it's really quite likely that you'll get hooked on little Hondas. You buy 2 more, and you'll build a CT or SL 70 or something...modified and fast, for riding on the street. You'll appreciate your original z50 for what it is. Stone reliable and super cool 50cc Honda hardtail...your 1st.

If you still want to try going fast on a hardtail...find a bike that's already missing a bunch, or already modified...motor swapped...maybe abused. Build that thing with the array of available parts and have some fun with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I totally agreed with your long and Interesting point of view about the Hard tail. That's why I have one K2 original engine too. That's magic. What I don't get it's the title of your post lol.. happy weekend.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts