PlanetMinis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks guys for the compliments. Turned out better than I had hoped for. I like the blue/silver combo. Paint line is pretty straight. No runs. Clear coat is hard, shiney and solvent proof. Badged. Back in it's storage box until needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
cspcrx - yep, I'm really happy. Much better results than my first attempt. Clear is much smoother this time w/ a lot less orange peel. I'm going to use it as it is. No wet sanding and buffing needed.
gstegman - a little. Chassis/rolling stock is just about done. Few issues still linger with the frame and such but, have switched gears and am diving into the motor. All is broke down, cleaned, gasket surfaces prepped, painting completed. Necessary parts, I think, have been collected. Couple of components rebuilt and ready for reinstall. Clutch pack got new friction plates and heavy duty springs from CHP. New ignition/stator kit. Kickstarter shaft is being replaced (notice damage at kickstarter mount. I'd say that is pretty buggered up!!). Will be installing TB 88 big bore kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Motor number is Z50AE218610. Bought off ebay a couple months ago. Motor was stripped, cleaned and gasket surfaces cleaned. First pic is prepped cases with new main bearings installed. Old ones were getting a little crunchy. Second is the enlarged oil hole for the hi-pro oil pump (2mm). Three and four are the innards being reinstalled. Hidden below all that there is new everything - seals, gaskets, shift pins, kickstarter shaft and clips, hi-pro oil pump, cam chain and gears/rollers, clutch friction discs and hi-pro clutch springs. In pic four you can also see that a TB 88cc cylinder and piston have been installed too.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Been awhile since I posted anything on the above blue bike. (Been lurking though) The head has been at a buddy's head shop waiting for some attention. Wasn't really in that much of a hurry b/c the "trade bike" from above was getting some love and cash thrown at it here at the house. Welllllllllllllll, got head back here at the house, all is good in the world and we're moving forward again.
Pic 1: lonely lil thing is missing something
Pic 2: bottom end is all buttoned up with a bunch of new stuff - its an old motor
Remaining: cleaned and wired really well, new seal on exhaust valve, jb weld to repair p/o's use of a big screw driver to remove cam cover, valve job by buddy and last but not least,
bluebike.jpeg
bluebikemotor1.jpeg
bluebikemotor2.jpeg
bluebikemotor3.jpeg
bluebikemotor4.jpg
bluebikemtor4.jpeg
bling for fun.
Blue bike motor is built on the dinning room table w/ the tradebike's motor which is "in the process of".

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Been awhile since I posted anything on the above blue bike. (Been lurking though) The head has been at a buddy's head shop waiting for some attention. Wasn't really in that much of a hurry b/c the "trade bike" from above was getting some love and cash thrown at it here at the house. Welllllllllllllll, got head back here at the house, all is good in the world and we're moving forward again.
Pic 1: lonely lil thing is missing something
Pic 2: bottom end is all buttoned up with a bunch of new stuff - its an old motor
Remaining: cleaned and wired really well, new seal on exhaust valve, jb weld to repair p/o's use of a big screw driver to remove cam cover, valve job by buddy and last but not least, View attachment 275757 View attachment 275758 View attachment 275759 View attachment 275760 View attachment 275761 View attachment 275762 bling for fun.
Blue bike motor is built on the dinning room table w/ the tradebike's motor which is "in the process of".
That's looking great!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going blue. Rattle canned in my garage and on my back patio. Rust-oleum Grey Primer (#7582 @ Home Depot), Honda Cloud Silver (08707-NH35M @ local lawn garden repair shop), Tester's Star-Spangled Blue (1843 @ don't laugh Hobby Lobby) and SprayMax 2K Clear Glamour (368 0061 @ local automotive paint supply house). I am NOT a bodyman, don't want to be a bodyman, but learned a little more about painting, had fun, killed some time, saved some $$$ and finally, this little tank turned out better than my first. Last picture - thumb-up!!
[/QUOTE]
That is a nice choice of colors on that tank. I love it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Post cleaning, multiple stages of sanding and some final polishing, taping and Honda Cloud Silver paint on the exterior. Some aluminum colored paint for inside part. New seal for kicker. Testor's green and black paint in the recesses.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks guys for all the above compliments. It's cool to get some feedback from fellow PMer's!!

The trade bike motor background. Got a really nice hardtail frame and forks in a trade last year w/ Davmo. Needed a motor so I began the craigslist, facebook and ebay search. Lo and behold an 84 z50r, AB02E-5512689, motor shows up locally on Facebook. After a couple of back-n-forth communications w/ the seller, I'm in the truck heading across town. Show up and pay $100.00 and its mine. Now the top end is in pieces in a nasty plastic grocery bag and the greasey a** bottom end is sitting in a dirty busted all to hell cardboard box. I really couldn't care one way or the other b/c I knew I was going to break it down. Wife on the other hand was somewhat skeptical.

Well, after getting it torn down and parts cleaned, everything in the bottom end looked great. No busted broken teeth, kickstarter shaft is straight, the splines are good (and the kickstarter lever was included), shifter shaft was straight, all bearing felt great, sooooooo, put it back together with hi-pro oil pump, a couple of new shift fork pins, new countershaft seal and center gasket. Bottom end is currently sitting, waiting on what I hope is the last parts order.

Below pics are: this motor's head (been cleaned and new valve seals installed - valve job planned sometime this week)
motor number
cases before and after cleaning with some scotch brite and WD-40
cool insignia on ignition case side - any info on this from ya'll?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Post cleaning, multiple stages of sanding and some final polishing, taping and Honda Cloud Silver paint on the exterior. Some aluminum colored paint for inside part. New seal for kicker. Testor's green and black paint in the recesses.
Dayum, Nice work! You are killing it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Those turned out great! My chain side was cut by previous owner so I bought a new one. My clutch side is in need of freshening up. Thought about a new one but the markings are different. Inspires me that there is hope for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks Dave, been killing some time at the dinner table with all this rain locally.
cspcrx, hit up your local Honda power shop and order up some paint!!! A light sand on your current case, hit it heavy with some Cloud Silver paint and its good as new. Swear by that paint. Good stuff.
My doings this past couple of days have included a lot of sanding and polishing. Tedious but rewarding. I'm going satin black powdered hubs with new bearings and seals, polished backing plates with everything mounted up on the above donor bike blasted and powdered rims. Front and rear brake hardware is getting a satin black finish also. Some new brake shoes and springs. Some new OEM and Home Depot nuts/washers/bolt mounting hardware. Whitewalls because I've never done them before.
My polishing partner, Cooper Crash

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts