Thanks guys. Its been fun. Really enjoying these little 50 builds. I'm watching what ya'll are doing too.
David, had fun the other day. Your digs are cool. Like I said, next time you want to throw a show and shine - mini wrenching - cola ice tea Dr. pepper bs-ing - Mexican food for lunch - possible neighborhood mini bomb ride throw down - let me know. I'm in. It would be fun.
Kirby, can't sell the Hot Wheels collection!! Nice motor or not. No. No. No.
Trying to save the wheels halves from the donor bike above. Got a frame in trade that these could be used on (thanks David - good trade). Original Bridgestones. Still a lot of tread left but they were dry rotted. Sorry to have to cut them off but......... they were in the way of progress. They put up a fight. The right tools and persistence pays off. I win, wheels loose. A little torching to fix a couple of flat spots. A lot of rust built up inside, hopefully a good sandblasting and powder will bring them back to life.
That is one thing that has confused me about the design of the wheels. When I first started looking for parts and how these things go together I was certain i was going to find a gasket or thin seal that went between the two rim halves.
Don't think it would work. fatcaaat has posted before about putting a small bead of silicone around every opening in the rim halves at assembly. I've been doing the same thing, most of the time. They will still come back apart easily whenever necessary. It only makes sense that it would help. I think then, the only opportunities for water to enter, are the valve stem hole, and tire beads. Maybe those COULD be siliconed as well.
Step bar, kickstand and pegs.
The good: everything there, nothing busted, step bar itself is straight w/ no funky bends, kickstand is straight and "tight" w/ spring installed, didn't cost me anything b/c this is a parts component I already had here at the house. (Part of a package deal of parts I got on in-state Craigslist search a while back).
The bad: these parts were filthy - cleaned. Stepbar ears (where pegs fit in) were straightened with the serious use of some BIG vice grips. Pegs are now tight w/ no sloppy forward to back play in their mounting setup. Pegs also got a bead welded onto the part that bottoms out in the peg itself. Weld was ground down until pegs set level. No more drooping foot pegs. Some black anti-rust paint (clear coat later), $5.00 worth of Honda OEM hardware and I'll rock these bad boys. Satin black powder for the step bar/kickstand in the near future.
Did all this, because I'm cheap, a firm believer in "use what ya got" and to keep these stock pegs b/c of the little Honda emblem on the rubber part.
If you clean and paint your rims properly they should last a long time. I just took mine apart to fit some original double nutted tubes. Kind of surprised myself I had redone them back in '97. I had bead blasted them then painted them with a gun using automotive paint and hardener. You can see a few spots of beginning rust but the tires did come off using plastic door panel removal tools from HF. The key when blasting is to get any pitting the same color as the base metal where there is no rust,if it's still dark in those areas that is still the rust. I usually start with course media to get the main rust off fast then switch to glass beads that will get down into the pitting.
Thank you, gstegman. Me personally, never used Por for any projects, but waterproofing wouldn't/couldn't hurt anything, I guess. Uneducated on the product.
gary s, like that you marked the above wheel set like you did w/ dates. Posterity sake and all that, clever. Hoping the rims I have turn out as well as yours look. I can see the pitting on yours, but it is a "smooth" pitting. Not jagged and all. I'd use them. You did well w/ your blasting. I was just going to drop mine off, as they are, at powder coating and hope for the best. Anything would be better than what they currently are.
Tank got cleared.
Back story: Bought this tank 5 plus years ago b/c I had so much fun doing my first tank on my 69'. I bought it off of ebay along w/ the misc. parts (badges, screws, rubber mounts and strap, gas cap). Cleaned the interior of the tank. Fixed the front mounting tabs and all the dents that it might have had. (I don't remember its original condition but it must have been OK. I probably wouldn't have got it if were really fubar). Primered the thing and put it away in box in the shop. Knew then that would use it in the future.
I'm going blue. Rattle canned in my garage and on my back patio. Rust-oleum Grey Primer (#7582 @ Home Depot), Honda Cloud Silver (08707-NH35M @ local lawn garden repair shop), Tester's Star-Spangled Blue (1843 @ don't laugh Hobby Lobby) and SprayMax 2K Clear Glamour (368 0061 @ local automotive paint supply house). I am NOT a bodyman, don't want to be a bodyman, but learned a little more about painting, had fun, killed some time, saved some $$$ and finally, this little tank turned out better than my first. Last picture - thumb-up!!