PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The start of the next hard tail resto. Face Book Market Place find. 3 hour road trip and a price of $100.00 and its mine. Parts from different years will be used to build it because a lot of parts I currently have on hand. Sorry purist. As you can see from photo the forks are really really bent up. Other things not so readily apparent are askew also. These issues will be documented as I go along. The good: threads on forks are good though lightly rusted, got all the fork mounting hardware, fork stop is present though wanked, main frame and loops are straight, tail light bracket is intact, no grandpa welds, no frame cracks/break issues (even in the places known to crack/break).

They just don't show up that often around here and if they do for $100.00 they're gone before you can make the phone call. Overall quite happy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forks got straightened via torch, vice and a 3' long cheater pipe. All is square w/ fork tubes fitting up and in the top triple clamp nicely and the stem is centering right in the middle of it's hole. Head light ears cutoff so that they could be re-welded a little lower than stock (head light would not fit with this aftermarket top triple). Some spare reflector mounts were robbed from another set of china fork tubes and welded up to these legs. They were lowered a little also. Happy with the way surgery went. A little grinding and filing for clean-up and forks are ready for powder.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Looking good Schimmelaw. I'm sure you'll be happy to move on too. Getting the front end done is a good big step.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kirby and cspcrx, its nice to have that all squared away - mean that literally. Fork innards and the aluminum exterior collar are from a 73' z50 roller I bought off CL here locally for a song prior to Co-vid. That lil' bike sat on CL for a couple of weeks before I made the phone call. Guy was a vintage Honda enthusiast who said he couldn't see going to the junk yard so he saved it from a field. I bought it thinking I might be able to use it's parts on a future build. Well, hot dang, that future build is now. In addition to the fork parts, to be discussed below, the hubs, backing plates, axles and misc mounting hardware will be used for this build (all that is a future post).
The fork innards were, shall we say were, neglected. (That's being kind) Left fork tube bent, one oil/dust seal was smashed flat and the other one was gone, nasty dry rotted and cracked rubber boots, but most of all ---- way too much loosey goosey going on up there. They definitely needed some work. The 73' fork innards were striped, cleaned, fork tube straightened, some new CT70 "anti-wobble pistons" and delrin fork guides were installed, a couple of new dust seals were slipped into place and finally some new rubber booties were slipped over the cleaned, sanded and scotch brited aluminum fork caps. Forks are capped off with a black anodized top clamp form TBParts which will the allow the use of bmx bars. Lower fork legs and axle head and nut are covered by some aftermarket rubber protectors. Nothing tightened - just a mock up. All in all though, a double thumbs up.
Rick

·
Registered
106 Posts
That turned out very nicely! I have great respect for those who can work with metal like this. Something I’m trying to learn and develop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
csp - won't be doing anything w/ the donor. Probably hold on to it or sell locally. It has some nice parts for a build, but I won't be wrenching on it. Just not a big fan of the 73 thru 78 mini trails I'm a hardtail guy b/c that is what I remember wanting so bad as a kid.
davmo - yes indeed it was a good score for some of the parts needed for this build.
Parts used cleaned up well. Both hubs were heli-coiled due to a miss match of mounting hardware. Some new 5mm longer bolts were used too. Hubs got sanded and hit w/ some Cloud Silver. Front backing plate had some welding done to it in order to fix where it had been beating the fork brake stay. Backing plates got sanded clean and finished off w/ some Flitz polish and steel wool. Aluminum rims from TB. Tubes and sprocket from NE Vintage. Tires from interweb - don't remember who, but remember them being cheap even w/ shipping. Rolling parts are good to go
image17.jpeg
image15.jpeg
image18.jpeg
image16.jpeg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is where the welding was done to fill in the divot created by by the front backing plate hammering itself on the fork. No telling how long that had been going on. (You can see how the backing plate had wallowed itself out in one of the above pictures.) Fixed now. The fork nub slides right in, but its tight. No flopping around or back and forth.
image0 (4).jpeg

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
won't be doing anything w/ the donor. Probably hold on to it or sell locally.
If you want to sell it, let me know. I am still looking for those year bikes and parts, and don't mind paying what they are worth. We should actually meet at some point. I remember you pointing me toward some ZB50 parts years ago (I still have done little with the ZB50, aside from collecting a few parts.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Davmo - you have first dibs on any parts you might want. Send me a PM and we can go from there. Thanks for the compliments too. Coming from you - that is a pat on the back. I'm blushing image2 (5).jpeg
image8 (2).jpeg
image9 (2).jpeg

Pics of hubs and covers w Honda Cloud Silver paint from a rattle can. Bought at my local lawn mower repair shop that deals in Honda yard and garden power equipment. Just gave them the number and they able to order it up. They were shocked that the paint came up on the Marine side of Honda but they were still able to get it. A lil pricey at aprox 20 21 bucks a can, but one can has painted the hubs, clutch cover, ignition cover and base coat on the pipe protector and gas tank. Overall worth the price to have the appropriate stock color on all those major pieces. Plus, it's a good stout tough paint too
image0 (6).jpeg
image1 (4).jpeg
image2 (5).jpeg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did indeed
Frame Z50A-284551 pics (really a bunch of photos of the frame w/ burn marks b/c I got to/had to use the torch). Didn't burn myself, nor the dog, so all is good. Back left tail section bent - torched straightened - good. Inner portion of brake pedal mount powder coated so thick the bolt wouldn't go through - torched - good. Motor mounts bent - torched straightened - good. Right tank mount pin bent back - torched straightened - good. Fork stop mangled - torched, hammered, re-bent, torched some more and hammered again - good. I'm thinking this little frame is just about ready for powder.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear brake set up: Rough mock-up. Really nice used rear brake pedal and mounting hardware (thanks Kirby). Brake rod from a 91? that I had around here (bent to fit). 6mm X 1.00 die on cut off brake rod end. Stock barrel, adjuster, spring and lever from the 73'. Anodized clevis from ebay. Repop spring from NE Vintage.
image7 (3).jpeg image3 (2).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg image2 (4).jpeg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts