PlanetMinis Forums banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Got it off... cant really see any damage on the clutch side... nothing spins. Trans will not shift by hand and theres alot of slop where there didn't used to be. Im willing to bet it shifted into 3rd and grenaded something.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Alright heres the game plan! Tomorrow I will pull the motor and do a full tear down. If I broke a gear I will put my 3 speed back in it. Otherwise I will see what else it needs. Was going to go 125cc lifan but ive got alot wrapped up in this motor and i love the sound and torque it provides (plus its an actual honda)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Maaaaaaaan, this is why we can't have nice things! A replacement 125 is a great choice, the 140's are a pretty proven motor as well. That said, you can't beat an original built motor. Hopefully you can figure it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Maaaaaaaan, this is why we can't have nice things! A replacement 125 is a great choice, the 140's are a pretty proven motor as well. That said, you can't beat an original built motor. Hopefully you can figure it out.
Hopefully in a few hours I will know the issue with the motor.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
At this point...there isn't much Honda left in your motor. Cases, stator, head casting...that's about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I determined the top end is free. So it is tranny related. Naturally the screws for the clutch stripped. Basically im done messing with this motor and am going to keep it on a shelf for future projects. As for what engine im going to do next I dont know. Leaning towards a 125cc but if I can get the stock skid plate to work with a 140 id consider it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I believe the new game plan is a 140cc. Since I can run my stock skid plate it just makes sense. Overall the plan is the same just different motor. Going to run a reducer to keep my bike 6v. Dumb yes but all my wiring is brand new and I don't feel like messing with something that works lol. DRatv sells the reducer and mini harness for it. Going to use a high flow K0 looking exhuast but do some paint work to it. Other than that everything on the bike will be stock. Still keeping semi auto aswell. I guess technically this went from sleeper to restomod. Should still end up with a beautiful bike regardless and happily cruise at 45-50.

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
214 Posts
Bummer about your engine, but tbolt has 140s in stock!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Bummer about your engine, but tbolt has 140s in stock!
I saw that they do! Sad part is if I want a 140cc with semi auto I can only get them with electric start it seems. So i may do a 125cc semi auto but throw a performance cam in it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Alright I figured its time for an update. Received the biggest part of the project today.. a new Lifan 125cc semi auto in black. Was going to do a 140cc but wanted semi auto and only kickstart no e start which wasnt an option.
So ive got the engine. Im now waiting on my new kickstart and 16t sprocket for the larger shaft from tboltusa. Also waiting for my wiring goodies from dratv.

Also I have decided to sell my 108cc stroker relucantly (if i doesnt sell i will keep it for a future project)

This motor should carry me to a cruising speed of 45-50. I hope to have the engine in and running monday as long as all my parts arrive!

·
Administrator
11,144 Posts
Make sure you change the oil on the new 125 before you run it. The oil that these motors come with is like fish oil.
tmas

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Make sure you change the oil on the new 125 before you run it. The oil that these motors come with is like fish oil.
tmas
Yup heard that was big thing to do. Any other issues these 125cc engines have that I should address?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Update! New 125cc is installed and I love it. 16/35 gearing with my 120/90 tires havent done a top speed run but it should easily peg the speedo. Running the st90 carb I was using with my 108cc. Seems to run really well. I think the exhuast is restricting it tho. Also my drAtv kickstand assembly hits my motor on 1 side. I will just put a couple washers in to space it. Other than I have had no issues with the install.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Have an electrical question. I think this may have also been happening when I had my old motor aswell. When I am driving and use my brakes my tail light comes on but my headlight goes out. Also when I am running the bike if I use the brake and horn at the same time the horn is very quiet.
Grounding issue? Has a new k0 wiring harness. Still running 6v. My 12v to 6v rectifier from dratv should keep my battery well charged so I doubt thats the issue as this also happened with my old engine.

Now I know the headlight runs off the motor and tail light/horn is battery.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
The Tail light needs a better frame ground. Try a jumper cable from the engine block to the tail light to test if it is the frame ground or a more rare case where the tiny jumper wire between the reflector and base of the tail light unit is broken. You will be able to tell if touching the jump wire to the tail light unit solves the problem, or if touching the reflector makes it work. The reason it is doing what it is doing is because the tail light ground is being made through the headlight positive wire ( you just switched from parallel to series wiring.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The Tail light needs a better frame ground. Try a jumper cable from the engine block to the tail light to test if it is the frame ground or a more rare case where the tiny jumper wire between the reflector and base of the tail light unit is broken. You will be able to tell if touching the jump wire to the tail light unit solves the problem, or if touching the reflector makes it work. The reason it is doing what it is doing is because the tail light ground is being made through the headlight positive wire ( you just switched from parallel to series wiring.)
Gave this a shot and still have the same issue. Headlight goes out when applying the brake. So weird

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Possible the battery I had in it was simply junk. Occured to me that the tailights and horn should work when the bike is off but with the key on. They didnt.. tossed a new sealed type battery into it and now that part works. Gotta find my spare headlight bulb as I somehow managed to blow mine. I asssume with the battery not working it was causing the charging system to work harder and it eventually wore my headlight bulb out. We shall see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Fun fact: my led headlight wont work (6v p15 bulb) but my non-led one that came with it does!

81 - 100 of 101 Posts