PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
10,463 Posts
I don't believe you're obligated to use all of the thrust washers on the trans ends, you could try installing and reassembling it without the thrust washers and see if that stops the binding. You should be able to tell if the lateral sideplay by either shaft is excessive, and test fit a thrust washer as needed.

Just an FYI that I've found that makes doing the above much easier is to split the cases by removing the right side case. That enables you to then stand the left side case upright, and grab the complete trans set and shift drum assembly with one hand, slowly jiggling it out of the left case, and be able to remove and/or install thrust washers much quicker. Just my 2¢...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Alright I think I may have gotten it. I think i may have had a extra washer under one of the gears. The halves slide together easily. I mocked it up without the gasket just to test it and it seems good.. hopefully I have it figured out.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Guess it would depend on a few things...but, spin with 1 finger and 1 thumb. Shift thru gears with a hangup here and there.
Be sure to test your kickshaft for proper operation before you button it all up...and oil on EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alright then its spinning ok. Im assuming these have to break in just like everything else. I am waiting on a few more parts. Mainly my hd clutch kit that TB forgot to send with my order. Mistakes happen so no big issue. Also ordered another crank case gasket. I think i may have torn it a little when taking it out of the packaging then with all the movement I ripped it. Oops. Just 1 more question regarding the trans. How much side to side play is it supposed to have? I have a little bit currently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update~ We have an engine mostly assembled. Waiting on 1 more part which is my oil cooler. Only 1 worry I have so far. So to install my clutch cover I loosened the adjustment all the way and put the cover on. I cant move this adjustment very far now if any. Is this normal? Other than that I just have 1 screw mixed up. Also somehow am missing my feeler gauges so I couldnt set the valve lash. I will do this tomorrow. Other than that everything has been smooth sailing. I did make sure it was shifting and that the kick starter actually worked. Can't wait to get her started!

·
Administrator
10,463 Posts
So to install my clutch cover I loosened the adjustment all the way and put the cover on.
There are two things you can check:
1. When you say you loosened the adjuster, did you turn the slotted stud clockwise, to draw the clutch lifter plate (part #7, here) into the right side cover? If you turned the stud counterclockwise, you actually have pushed the lifter plate further away from the clutch cover, putting it closer to the clutch itself.
2. Check and make sure the clutch is fully seated and meshed with the big primary gear when in place on the crank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I turned it clockwise to bring it into the cover. And I made sure it was fully seated. I guess when I start the motor up for the first time I can re adjust if need be. Just dont want to do any damage lol.

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
214 Posts
I turned it clockwise to bring it into the cover. And I made sure it was fully seated. I guess when I start the motor up for the first time I can re adjust if need be. Just dont want to do any damage lol.

Make sure the rear wheel isn’t on the ground.
😬🏍💨
Nice Work!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That does not sound right to me. I'd be worried that something is out of place. I'd lay the engine back onto it's left side...pull the cover and make sure everything is in place...and make sure the adjuster bits are in place. Then put the cover back on and adjust the clutch by the book...while it's still on it's left side.
Then you can stand it up and recheck the adjustment if you want...back it off some if you want...etc.

With the adjuster THAT loose...I'd be worried that the little oil thru could fall out of place when you stood the motor upright...or the 3ball gadget...whatever else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Alright heres another update! First start!! Didn't ride it just started it. And it sounds like it needs to be tuned but does have alot deeper of a sound. Now. I need advice on a better oil cooler. This one was a waste of 100 bucks. Its aboslutly horrible. Feels really cheap. Does Gcraft or another brand make a better one? Maybe one thats just like a heat sink on the side?
Also I know I need to put the air cleaner on for proper running but considering I didnt know if id be pulling the motor again I left it off.
All in all very happy!

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Congrats on getting it running! Those oil coolers actually are not bad. You will want to flip your cooler so the hoses are on top to get the best cooling. When it is turned upside down, the oil will only fill the bottom of the cooler before running out the other side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Its not really the cooler im unhappy with but rather the cheap lines and plastic fittings.. in general i should have bought a higher quality kit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Alright so I took off my oil cooler for now. I need to tighten a few things up as it has a slight oil leak (no big issue just retightn everything)
That all being said I took it onto its first voyage. Uh. And I need new underwear. Was not expecting the power. Need to regear... have 16/38 leaning towards 16/34. I could pop a wheelie in 4th gear. Also I need to adjust my clutch. Wasnt quite working properly and made finding nuetral a slight pain. That being said im glad I went with the stroker. Was pulling my 250lb butt up a hill and kept accelerating without even a struggle.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts