PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my original z50a badges (2 x round tank & 1 round headlight) stripped & rechromed:D the only problem now is painting them up, so I started with the round headlight one , the white around the outside & in the "H" is still on from original so I only need to paint the middle red, but with it being rechromed I'm having problems getting the paint to stick:rolleyes:

I've cleaned the badge with panel wipe but I'm suspecting i'll need to rough up the chrome to be painted over:confused: if so how the hell am I going to do the tank badges:oops:

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
RAZZO said:
Buy repops. Save yourself the headache.

I was thinking the same thing here. Either TBparts.com, hondanuts.com or CHP has 'em left.

I have a set of the repops here that I'll never use as well that I'll let go reasonably.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RAZZO said:
Buy repops. Save yourself the headache.
Sorry but this ones going to be an original resto:cool:

repo's will not be entertained;)

Not that I've got anything against them I just get a weird kick out of getting things right no matter what it takes.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ands1 said:

Not that I've got anything against them I just get a weird kick out of getting things right no matter what it takes.

LOL, how far along are you on your "correct" resto. I remember when I set out on my "whatever it takes" resto. Hope you are wealthy or plan on keeping it forever.:D

Please post some pics of the build.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Ands1 said:

I wouldn't say rechroming Z50A badges and bodging the paint is correct. Unless you are one of the best freeland painters in the land, the repops will probably look better.

I used to tell people you can't polish a turd, but Mythbusters proved you can indeed polish turds:

You need to scuff up or etch the chrome so the paint will stick. How you plan on doing that in those tiny areas won't be an easy task.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Z said:
I wouldn't say rechroming Z50A badges and bodging the paint is correct. Unless you are one of the best freeland painters in the land, the repops will probably look better.

I used to tell people you can't polish a turd, but Mythbusters proved you can indeed polish turds:

YouTube - MYTHBUSTERS are going to Polish **** they have gone nuts

You need to scuff up or etch the chrome so the paint will stick. How you plan on doing that in those tiny areas won't be an easy task.

Who said anything about bodging the paint:confused:

I can get the spray paint to stick now, the small detailing parts ie the white wing bits will be painted in by my uncle who's an artist. I'll post pictures when they're finnished.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gstegman said:
LOL, how far along are you on your "correct" resto. I remember when I set out on my "whatever it takes" resto. Hope you are wealthy or plan on keeping it forever.:D

Please post some pics of the build.

Resto'd a few Monkeys before to standard or upgraded.

Wealthy? I do ok.

Plan on keeping it forever? Yes, it's for my girlfriend but I know she'll hardly ever ride it;)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Good deal, I don't mean to be the black hat thinker. I am just saying I know I and many others have set out down that same path with the same personality disorder. At some point it stops making sense and I have to proceed knowing I may only get back 50 cents on the dollar if I am lucky.

Sounds like you have been down this road and are well aware.

I look forward to seeing how close you get with your badges and best of luck with your build!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy new year all. Now Crimbo's out of the way I cracked on with the badges, here they are stripped down & chromed up, the headlight badge still has the enamel white paint on which was wet & dried down until it came up well, just put masking tape on ready for etch primer & red paint.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gstegman said:
Looks nice! Are you able to find platers to do small batches of chrome across the pond? I find it impossible in CA.

Really not a problem over here in the UK, those 3 badges which were stripped & chromed plus the rear kidney bean sprocket which was stripped & replated these cost £50..

I had all the hubs, back plates & top tree thing buffed up like new for £70..

Not really really cheap but not a rip off, he does an excellent job, he takes approx 2-3 weeks to do them though but I'm in no rush...

Regards Andy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fihished badges

The hardest part was getting the red paint in, I had to let it marginally over spray onto the chrome, then scalpel very steady where I wanted the red to stop the scrape the overspray off....

The paint is all enamel the black & white being touched in with a brush & letting it flow into the recessed bits. The red was sprayed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts