PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my bb 143 tb kit without the racehead in my bike. it was my understanding that the kit would not run well with the stock carb and pipe to my superprise the bike seems to start and run fine, with the stock carb, jets and exhuast. my question is how can i tell if the bike is running lean? im worried about frying my engine. when i start it and open the throttle everything seems ok from low to hi revs, everything sounds good. also does anyone know what i should set my valves too?

·
Registered
706 Posts
dove110 said:
explain the plug chop
You need to run the bike in as tall of a gear as you can. and then kill the engine with the throttle wide open. Dont idle the engine, now remove the spark plug and look at the INSULATOR, the white porcelain part. as a rule it should look like coffee and cream( TAN ) If its Dark brown or sooty black your motor is running RICH. A gray ashy or white reading means its running LEAN. A plug reading only gives you an overall view of how the motor is running.

Do this with a new plug and make sure your bike is warm first.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
If you have everything stock and added the 143 kit I can guarantee you that its running lean the stock jets are meant to feed 111cc 143 will need more fuel do a plug chop and rejet accordingly before you run it further

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys, i will do that and report back. anyone know the valve settings to use with that tb cam?

ps my bike is almost done, once it is stay tuned for pics and a review of the total package and parts put together on this bike. just waiting for a few more parts...

·
Registered
678 Posts
What jetting is a good starting point in the stock carb with stock airbox when adding the TB143 (bore kit only, stock head)? How about with the Two Brother's air filter? I'm buliding the motor for a friend and won't really have time to test ride it, I'd like for it to be close when I give it back. I have the Two Brother's adjustable needle to put in it already. It'll be running a modded stock pipe (stock head pipe, restrictor drilled out and dumping into a KX85 silnecer)

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
sorry for bumping an old thread, but can you tell me what jetting you are running in the stock carb with 143 bore and cam only, as in no head?

and where can i get jets for the stock carb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.