PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of fitment issues can I expect to see? I'm considering putting YSR50 12" wheels on my CT. What size tires will fit within the constraints of the stock rear swingarm?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
RySem said:
What kind of fitment issues can I expect to see? I'm considering putting YSR50 12" wheels on my CT. What size tires will fit within the constraints of the stock rear swingarm?

I'm running 12" NSR50 wheels on my CT70. I'm running 100/65/12 FMR tires on a stock length swingarm.

Width isn't that big of a problem. It's the height.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Z said:
I'm running 12" NSR50 wheels on my CT70. I'm running 100/65/12 FMR tires on a stock length swingarm.

Width isn't that big of a problem. It's the height.

So would that size tire clear the front side of the swingarm and still have chain adjustability with a stock swinger?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
RySem said:
So would that size tire clear the front side of the swingarm and still have chain adjustability with a stock swinger?

Measure the stock Major Diameter of a pair of 10" tires and figure out how much room you have to spare.

To calculate how big some of the 12" tire choices are, use my calculator here:

http://www.honda50.com/speedcalc/tirediacalc.html

I'm running Falcon 100/65/12 tires which have a major diameter of 435mm, the same as a pair of 3.5X10" tires.

In comparison, I've seen people run 120/90/10 tires which have a diameter of 470mm which tells me you could fit a 12" tire with an OD of 470mm.

100/80/12's "should fit" at 471mm OD.

I don't think 100/90/12's will fit.

Mock up and measure...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Kenda 12 INCH 100/65/12 TIRE RACE PROFILE

*****Kenda 12 inch race profiel. ***** 12 inch Kenda race profile. Maat : 100/65/12. Size: 100/65/12. Deze band is de ideale vervangband voor de superdure FMR Falcon band. This band is the ideal replacement tire for the super expensive FMR Falcon band. Heeft dezelfde maat, maar is stukken goedkoper******Cheap solution to replace the very expensive FMR FALCON tire !!!!**** Has the same size, but is much cheaper ****** Cheap solution to replace the very expensive FMR FALCON tire !!!!****

found these tyres at mini-bikes.be much cheaper version 29 euros at the minute

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
BILLYBIGWIG said:

*****Kenda 12 inch race profiel. ***** 12 inch Kenda race profile. Maat : 100/65/12. Size: 100/65/12. Deze band is de ideale vervangband voor de superdure FMR Falcon band. This band is the ideal replacement tire for the super expensive FMR Falcon band. Heeft dezelfde maat, maar is stukken goedkoper******Cheap solution to replace the very expensive FMR FALCON tire !!!!**** Has the same size, but is much cheaper ****** Cheap solution to replace the very expensive FMR FALCON tire !!!!****

That's a great price. Owner of that site is a friend of mine. I'll have to drop Luc a note and pick some up, but I'm not too hot on the tread.

http://mini-bikes.be/prods/5888607.jpg

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fatcaaat said:
I am thinking about putting a set of 120/70-12's on the rear of a stock swinger CT70. Major diameter is 472mm. Should fit in there I think.

I just bought a set of 120/70-12's. Avon Viper Stryke, P-rated...look decent, got a great deal on them. I'll give it a shot as soon as they come in. From the measuring I did, I don't see fitment being an issue.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
BILLYBIGWIG said:

Here a picture of a dax with 12" NSR and kenda tires:

The left side of the rear wheel has been modified on a lathe to be converted to fit the original swingarm.

edit:The frame is a skyteam st50-6, not a honda dax. But this skyteamframe should be a copy of a 12V honda daxframe.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
RySem said:
I just bought a set of 120/70-12's. Avon Viper Stryke, P-rated...look decent, got a great deal on them. I'll give it a shot as soon as they come in. From the measuring I did, I don't see fitment being an issue.

Make sure you post up pics on this please. I am pretty sure I will go this way if they fit.

·
Registered
443 Posts
nielspbr said:
Here a picture of a dax with 12" NSR and kenda tires:

The left side of the rear wheel has been modified on a lathe to be converted to fit the original swingarm.

edit:The frame is a skyteam st50-6, not a honda dax. But this skyteamframe should be a copy of a 12V honda daxframe.

hi what length rear shocks are you running on your ride cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So my new 120/70-12 tires came in today. Man are they big (wide!). I was only able to do some quick measuring and such, no pics yet. With the YSR50 forks in CT70 triple trees, there is about 1/8" clearance on either side up front...tighter than I expected, but it'll work no prob. It looks like it'll work out alright in the rear with one exception. The standoff for the rear brake hub arm sticks out too far to get the tire in the swingarm. I was able to do it with the tire unmounted but it took some convincing and would be impossible had it been mounted to a rim. In my case I will just cut that stud off, as I have to make up a new custom arm anyhow for use on the YSR50 brake hub. More to come as I do more mock-up and measuring. Here's a pic of the tires I got:

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
RySem said:
So my new 120/70-12 tires came in today. Man are they big (wide!). I was only able to do some quick measuring and such, no pics yet. With the YSR50 forks in CT70 triple trees, there is about 1/8" clearance on either side up front...tighter than I expected, but it'll work no prob. It looks like it'll work out alright in the rear with one exception. The standoff for the rear brake hub arm sticks out too far to get the tire in the swingarm. I was able to do it with the tire unmounted but it took some convincing and would be impossible had it been mounted to a rim. In my case I will just cut that stud off, as I have to make up a new custom arm anyhow for use on the YSR50 brake hub. More to come as I do more mock-up and measuring. Here's a pic of the tires I got:

Nice looking set of tires!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.