Mongo Oil Cooler

Close ratio 3 or 5 speed gearset

Better helmet, etc.

How 'bout them apples...

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
z88R i got that all figured to a rough estimate what it would cost. I already got one of the best helmets.

I really dont want to have to run race fuel in my 50. (dont want to have to spend all that money, and its not as easy to get) I would be running 93 octane pump fuel (or 94 octane if i go to sunoco)

Would the 108 SE run fine on 93 octane? Would it hurt anything to run the 117 or 124 SE on 93 octane?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
There is no reason why the 124SE needs to run on race fuel. Where are people getting their information?

I have a Kitaco 108 Ultra non-se, and it runs like a top on 91 octane gas, and has the same crank with very similar dome as the SE head.

The SE is no different as far as compression is concerned, it's a more efficient design of the head.

Run the highest octane gas you can at the pump, set up the motor properly, and enjoy.

G

·
I think he ment it would be good idea. I wouldn't run anything else in it. If you do run pump make sure (like z88r said) that it is 91. If you do that route make sure the pump is always busy so you get FRESH fuel. That's the most important part.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Like z88r said, it depends on the compression. I myself wouldnt run anything else in my 88 x-head bike, because the compression is so high.

The reason for running race fuel is because it detinates at higher compression.

You could run a thicker head gasket to bump the compression down with with a 117se or 124se.

My 117 had so much compression, I had to put all my 120 pounds of body weight on it to kick it over..and at times I'd still have problems.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks z88R.

Now i just have to decide if i want the 117 or the 124. Im not sure if the 124 would really be worth the extra money or not. I still have sometime to decide, its probably going to take me all this winter and maybe next summer to get the money.

·
Registered
684 Posts
riding up hills on the 124SE feels like someone is behind you pushing you. its insane. Like bryce said, the 124SE has a much broader powerband and is much more controlable and more fun to ride. the 117SE is just raw horsepower with bust yo ass written all over it.

If I were you, i'd run U4 in any of the SE line of motor kits.

I have a SE setup, and thats where its at.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
U4 is 92 octane fuel.

You'll be fine running premium pump gas, as the only thing U4 will do for you is drain your pocketbook.

I could see running U4 is race situations that payout the winner, but for most riding we all do for fun, run the pump gas.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The 117 and 124se motors would not be the best motors for playing around the neighborhood and just riding around on. They are running Ti valves and the valves stems are very short and all the parts are super light. So basically, not the best motor unless you plan on racing it alot.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Since the motors are so new, nobody knows how well they hold up in the long run. However, when I purchased my Kitaco Ultrahead (non-se) parts from my friend in Japan, he warned me they were full race parts and would be subject to breakage due to the thin valve stems and with any full race parts, plan on rebuilding more often. But, I've put a whopping 50 miles on the motor, and to date she's holding up just fine!

Anytime you purchase full race, cutting edge parts, they are meant to create big power, but you sacrifice durability. At this point, nobody will have a good answer how long the top ends will last. If damage is going to occur, I'd look to next season after they have been run hard for a year or TWO.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
cyclerider57 said:
Cheap and reliable won't be fast.

Cheap and fast won't be reliable.

Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Speed Costs money.

In the real world, I agree. but in the mini-market, this always doesn't hold to be true. I won't speak of the brand name parts, but you can spend alot of money in the CRF50 arena, and still have a turd. With the Japanese parts, you are paying for a name, and before the current SE line of parts, were mostly paying for a name.

How many people bought Japanese 88cc Kits for big $$, come to find out trailbikes has the same parts, just as fast for 1/2 the price? While this doesn't apply to the SE line, it applies to most of the other Japanese parts on the market, as well as most of the engine parts made by most of the big-name US companies.

Race parts are to be construed as race parts. Anyone involved in racing knows when you take something designed for X HP and modify it to handle 700% more horsepower and torque, things are going to break. Just be prepared to pay when you play.

I'm not arguing a point here, I just want people to understand that the motor parts are only the entry fee in racing. Breakage will happen, as it's a part of racing. In the automotive arena, if you aren't breaking parts, you aren't racing hard enough!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Putting a stroker crank in the tb 88 will make it a 108.

Edit-z88R you beat me to it

I under stand the whole the more power you make the more chance it has to break, i knew the 117 and 124 SE werent going to be bullet prove. I do plan to be racing it if someone just decideds to start holding 50 races here in MD, right now im riding on a real track, and if i had the SE i would be on the big bike track. I dont mind having to change the topend every year or two, i just dont want to have to change it like every 4 rides or something crazy like that.

About boring the cases, pretty much any machine shop should be able to that, right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.