PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
So long as you're comparing the same year models, they should be the exact same. Earlier KLX's came with 14/37 gearing instead of 14/33 like they do now, so they may feel a little quicker than newer models, but mechanically they're identical for each year model (DRZ to KLX). With that said though, some bikes are simply faster than the next. Our 03 DRZ was a complete turd for some reason when I bought it compared to other 03 DRZ's and KLX's I rode. I had to go up to a 90 main jet and open the airbox up just to bring it even with these others that were bone stock. I have no idea why ours was so slow, but like with cars or anything else that's mass produced, there will be variations that'll make one run better than the next. It's also a little known fact, but Kawasaki doesn't even make these themselves and who knows about the quaility control the manufacturer that does make them adheres to?! The guys at Classic can tell you who's making these for Kawasaki Motors, where they're assembled, etc., but it has nothing to do with Kawasaki's own plants in Japan. I have a feeling this is why there's such a wide spread on performance from one to the next, but that's just my opinion. All I know is ours was so slow before messing with the stock induction set up that a bone stock, clapped out 00 XR-50 would leave me in his dust in a drag race. It was pretty sad, but it's been rectified since then. :lol:

~Ron

Xtreme Racing 50s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.