PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in the works.

3.0 x 10" aluminim tubeless mags (2 front X19 midbike wheels), custom rear sprock/rotor adapters, hopefully to be dual disc front. Just a few pics, tire profiles look good, gives the bike a more stout stance. I like it so far, but still in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50-50 said:
Very nice. I like the way the bike "sits". What brand of wheels are they?

They are some chinese no-name parts. They are replacement front wheels for an x19 that I'm making work. Not too difficult so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
motofox21 said:
They are some chinese no-name parts. They are replacement front wheels for an x19 that I'm making work. Not too difficult so far.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I haven't seen anybody put these on a CRF yet so nice work.

Oh and nice avatar! :D If only it was large enough so that I could actually see the girls!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MiniRider101 said:
The wheels look pretty good for a no name chinese setup. Keep us posted on the dual disc set up.

Thats pretty much what I thought, and for the price to make them work, it has cost me less than it would have to build a set of 2.15x 10 spoke wheels. My buddy just got a new TIG welder, hoping to be able to weld up the front right side front caliper mounts in a few weeks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where did you order them from?

The setup looks really good..

I want to get a set and polish them out..if there is no clear coat over them

Need to machine any spacers or anything?

What are you doing about the rear brake situation?

I like the way your bike sits..nice stance..:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will have another set of these on Friday if anyone wants to do their own setup. I am picking up my x18, and parting it of everything but the engine and a few misc pieces.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UndefinedT said:
Where did you order them from?
See link up on my 2nd or 3rd post....

[/QUOTE]Need to machine any spacers or anything?

What are you doing about the rear brake situation?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had to make a rear sprocket and rear disk brake carrier. I used a drill press, hole saw, and a cutter bit to cut out and shape the carriers. I drew the patters for the each on a CADD program I downloaded for free, printed on adhesive backed paper and transfer placed on the material. I made mine out of squares of extruded 5/8" thick aluminum because it gave me the offset I need to line up my chain, keep the wheel centered, and clear the wheel with the rear caliper. I'm using the stock rear caliper and rotor I had on my previous spoke wheels.I'll get some pics...

I like the way your bike sits..nice stance..:D[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the "stance" is one of my favorite parts. It definitely looks like a mini supermoto to me and it feels good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i had a set of these wheels still have the front rim couldnt find a bearing with the correct axle size to make it work.

these are some nice rims though! pretty solid

motofox21 carefull drilling out those holes for the second brake disk;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sr20hardbody said:
i had a set of these wheels still have the front rim couldnt find a bearing with the correct axle size to make it work.

these are some nice rims though! pretty solid

motofox21 carefull drilling out those holes for the second brake disk;)

Hardbody - I had to source set of bearings to make it work with my 12mm axel. If you need a source, let me know.

Also, 3 of of 6 mounting holes for the 2nd disk are already started (although a little larger than the necessary drill size for my bolts) but it makes it really easy. Right now my dual disk is on hold for a number of reasons, one is a concern of trying to weld the brackets to the cheap aluminum the leg bottom is made of....we are trying a few things first.

·
Registered
423 Posts
im all ears for those bearings! the bearings i found would need an outer sleeve to fit the rim correctly and im not sure if thats safe lol

as for the forks i know the x18 forks should work they suck in stock form but swheels had modified his and they work good for motard use just an option.

another thing thats nice about these rims is how light they are!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why didnt you just use bushings in the forks to hold the 12mm axles? Seems like a simple problem, and tbolt sells the bushing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FrodoGT said:
Why didnt you just use bushings in the forks to hold the 12mm axles? Seems like a simple problem, and tbolt sells the bushing.

The issue is on the bike these wheels come stock, the front axle is a 10mm. My axle is 12mm, and the outside diameter of the bearing needs to be 30mm which is not a common bearing ID/OD combination. I was able to find them here 16101-2RS Bearing 12x30x8 Sealed:Ball Bearings:VXB in 8mm thickness, which worked out well for the depth of the bearing seat on the wheel. Probably not the cheapest, and honestly, I'm not a fan/supporter of the bearing reducers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
its not the forks thats the problem its the bearing options for those rims i believe is 15mm. so the bearing would need the reduction and the bearing suppliers i looked at had the correct 12mm axle size but the outer diameter of that particular bearing is too small to fit the rim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So you run a 10mm axle and use a bushing to fit your 12mm fork..the bushing doesn't turn, and a bearing doesn't ride on it. You are just bushing the forks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
10mm axle isnt an option lol thats a downgrade unless the bikes used for motard only.

then again i think the x bikes swingarms are narrower so less stress on the axle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts